High School Graduations

Hellcats

All three public schools here are having graduation parades down the highway with graduation being held at the drive-in theater.

Each grad is allowed one vehicle of family to attend the actual ceremony.

I'm not sure on all of the plans or execution of social distancing for this.

That’s a great idea! A lot of creativity has come out of this pandemic.

Here is what I would think is the best that could be hoped for to accomplish a graduation with all of the seniors present.

1. It must be an outdoor ceremony to reduce risk spread of the virus.

2. In order to attend the graduation, anyone attending students, teachers or staff must pass a test for the virus and a temperature check.

3. No family is allowed to attend and the ceremony will be live streamed so families can watch. If any family member is on the grounds of where the ceremony is being held, the student will be removed from the graduation.

I don't understand the point of a temperature check since we know many people with the disease are asymptomatic.

Good question. If you are running a fever, you have to know it. Doubt it is a significant screening tool.

My understanding is it has been the primary screening tool daily in manufacturing plants. When employees show up for work they have to pass the temperature check before going in to work.

Good question. If you are running a fever, you have to know it. Doubt it is a significant screening tool.

Many people can’t afford to miss work. It at least stops those who are showing symptoms from spreading it within the workplace.

As a parent of a senior, I can say she is devastated. She wanted to stand on stage and give her speech as student body president and walk across the stage to get her diploma. She wanted to do that "in front of a gym full of people mom not have it video recorded and have a stupid youtube graduation." There are ways to have it outside and social distance. Heck a football field could have three chairs every five yards and every five yards deep and accommodate over 200 students with two guests of their choice with a ten-foot barrier between each family unit.

I was at the local high school walking on their track today. There were probably 30 kids kicking balls working out whatever with distancing but in small groups. With a little organization this could be done on a larger scale for graduation.

As far as temperature checks it is not good but is quick, easy and would potentially screen out a few people. It makes it look like something is being done.