KHSAA Financial Position

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Tennessee, the TSSAA takes 50% of the gate at all playoff games (25% to each of the participating schools). Home team pays for security and cleanup, visiting team pays for their own travel costs. In football, that is a big deal that takes big $ from the schools!

Regular season? The state doesn't get any money from regular season games. The host school gets that.

The KHSAA charges a membership fee for each school at the beginning of the year. That fee could go up significantly thus passing the burden on to the schools. I don't know about other states, but that is one reason why the KHSAA does not skim off the top of post season games until they are the ones hosting the games (championship games).

The KHSAA charges a membership fee for each school at the beginning of the year. That fee could go up significantly thus passing the burden on to the schools. I don't know about other states, but that is one reason why the KHSAA does not skim off the top of post season games until they are the ones hosting the games (championship games).

Yes they do charge a fee based on the size of your school. I could see that going up for at least a year.

Really, have you ever seen anything go up in price for one year and then drop back? Think about it.

Sure we have. Prices fluctuate all the time.

But to what you said, if raised I don’t see it going back down.

Just making a general guess. Not sure how much revenue spring sports tourneys bring in.

KHSAA does not collect money on regular season games.

Spring state championships bring in some but nothing compared to basketball.

If the KHSAA charges more to their annual dues they will not come down. I remember when the dues were raised for them to build there beautiful new building about a decade ago. Did that with the promise that the dues will go back down after it was completed. Dues have been raised 2 more times since then. If the annual dues go up, they will not go back down.

Yes they do charge a fee based on the size of your school. I could see that going up for at least a year.

Am I understanding this?

In order to play 90+% of the schools in KY you have to be a member.

In order to be a member, you have to pay money?

That’s not a membership, that’s a racket.

Am I understanding this?

In order to play 90+% of the schools in KY you have to be a member.

In order to be a member, you have to pay money?

That’s not a membership, that’s a racket.

It's also not uncommon. Calling it a racket is a bit harsh, as the KHSAA (and other organizations that charge dues) play an important role in high school sports.