Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jussie Smollett facing new criminal charges.

Featured Replies

2 hours ago, theguru said:

I agree.  Although he was clearly upset (as anyone would be) what I really heard from Smollett was I am not suicidal and if anything happens to me in jail it is criminal.  For the record, that is the one thing Smollett told us that I believe.

Would it shock you if he injured himself in jail and claimed otherwise?

  • Replies 42
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • An appeals court just ruled Jussie should be released pending his appeal. I know our Justice System is far from perfect (and deteriorating in my opinion) but the elite/rich generally speaking far

  • PurplePride92
    PurplePride92

    He said that in case something happens to him in jail.  Sandra Bland.  

  • I agree.  Although he was clearly upset (as anyone would be) what I really heard from Smollett was I am not suicidal and if anything happens to me in jail it is criminal.  For the record, that is the

1 minute ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Would it shock you if he injured himself in jail and claimed otherwise?

It wouldn't shock me but it would surprise me.

  • Author
4 hours ago, PurplePride92 said:

If Carolyn Donham isn’t in jail then Jussie Smollet shouldn’t be in jail either.  

I completely completely agree with you.

As I understood it though, even though there was a new federal investigation opened into Carolyn Donham within the last few years, the investigation concluded when they determined that any charges they tried to bring against Donham would be virtually impossible prove and earn any conviction.

From what I recall reading (it was a couple of months ago...I Googled articles about it and couldn't find the one I read), the biggest obstacle was the fact that there was an extreme lack of racial hate crime laws in place in 1955.

They also apparently had major concerns that the information presented in Dr. Tim Tyson's book was going to be extremely difficult to substantiate. Donham went to Tyson in 2007 seeking help writing her memoirs, at her daughter's urging. Tyson interviewed her but apparently Donham asked not to be recorded, only allowing Tyson's note taking. Tyson's book was published in 2017, and the book said Donham confessed to Tyson that her 1955 testimony about Emmett Till making verbal/physical advances on her were not true. As soon as the book came out, Donham apparently denied having confessed that to Tyson.

The investigation's biggest issue there was the fact that Donham had already written most of her own memoirs (but had not published anything) and what Tyson wrote had very heavily borrowing and even directly cited from those memoirs. Tyson's interview with Donham was literally him sitting there with the manuscript she had written, and then asking her questions about things and taking notes. The federal investigation found that the memoir manuscript written personally by Donham did not recant her 1955 testimony about Emmett Till making verbal/physical advances on her, but then the memoir published by Tyson said she did recant on her testimony.

  • Author
3 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Maybe I'm a total fool (probably am), but wasn't Bland's death confirmed a suicide and part of the evidence included cut marks from previous self-harm, etc? 

I know the jail ended up being in trouble for not making proper rounds or something, but did they end up in trouble for killing her too? 

3 hours ago, PurplePride92 said:

Not that I know of.  I’m fairly certain the jail absolved from any wrongdoing.  

Bland's autopsy report revealed "25 to 30 horizontal faint linear healing scabbed superficial incised wounds." Those cuts were found to be consistent with self-harm. It was those, combined with cause of death, that apparently led to drawing the conclusion that her was death by suicide.

According to news reports Smollett is now being held in the psychiatric ward at the Cook County jail.  So only 150 days and in the psych ward, not much of a punishment from where I sit. 

3 hours ago, theguru said:

According to news reports Smollett is now being held in the psychiatric ward at the Cook County jail.  So only 150 days and in the psych ward, not much of a punishment from where I sit. 

So, did he decide that it is safer to say he was suicidal and maybe get a better cell?  We get prisoners released from jail quite frequently for evaluation of suicidal ideation.  Most guys know that in jail, if you claim to be suicidal then you get your own cell, and more frequent checks.  Hence, they claim to be suicidal when they are not. At least that is how it works in the city/county that I work in.

14 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

So, did he decide that it is safer to say he was suicidal and maybe get a better cell?  We get prisoners released from jail quite frequently for evaluation of suicidal ideation.  Most guys know that in jail, if you claim to be suicidal then you get your own cell, and more frequent checks.  Hence, they claim to be suicidal when they are not. At least that is how it works in the city/county that I work in.

Like you, I was thinking maybe this was a "con job" for a better cell/jail living conditions but this article from the New York Post today paints a different picture:

The Cook County Sheriff’s Office said Monday that Smollett has been kept in housing often used for inmates with mental health needs, adding that “it would be inaccurate and irresponsible to make any assumption about his mental or medical condition based on where he is currently housed,” the Chicago Tribune reported.

Smollett was not on suicide watch, officials told the paper.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/15/jussie-smolletts-legal-team-demands-emergency-release/

It sounds as if the authorities are the ones that moved Smollett and my guess is it is an effort to keep an extra eye on Smollett and to protect him from any harm whether it be from himself or others.  All things considered this sounds like a good move by the powers that be.

Also from the article:

His attorneys added that being in “protective custody” is akin to “solitary confinement,” which could lead to “extraordinary damage on his mental health.”

I suppose if Smollett's attorneys feel strongly about it they could sue the jail in an attempt to get Smollett moved into the general population but I feel anything the attorneys are doing is a veiled attempt to get Smollett released from jail.  So if they can get Smollett released (which is exactly what his attorneys should be doing) that would be a huge victory but if Smollett remains in custody I think he should be thankful he is in the psych ward and count his lucky blessings. 

What kind of prison is he in?  I’m sure he isn’t in a max security prison is he?  

32 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

What kind of prison is he in?  I’m sure he isn’t in a max security prison is he?  

The Cook County Jail.  From Google:

How rough is Cook County Jail?

Violence Comes with the Territory.

The Cook County Jail is one of the roughest places around. It's a huge facility, it's in the murder capital of the nation, and it's overcrowded. Your CO training is going to cover a lot of territory about safety and self-defense.

AND:

What security level is Cook County Jail?

Cook County Jail – Division V is a minimum-security Adult in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. The 922-bed capacity facility has been operational since 1999 and boasts of about 4514 bookings yearly.

=================

Also, you can search the jail site and see Smollett's "profile" but it is very basic. 

Zero chance he's in Gen Pop at Cook County. 

Also on the sentence, apparently the rule is you only have to serve 50% of your sentence so Smollett should only have to serve 75 days. 

An appeals court just ruled Jussie should be released pending his appeal.

I know our Justice System is far from perfect (and deteriorating in my opinion) but the elite/rich generally speaking fare much, much better than the rest of us commoners. 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:47 AM, theguru said:

Also on the sentence, apparently the rule is you only have to serve 50% of your sentence so Smollett should only have to serve 75 days. 

6 days if you know the right people.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.