Jussie Smollett facing new criminal charges.

Colonels_Wear_Blue

• 2 years later...

Smollett sentenced to 30 months probation, restitution of $126,000, $25,000 fine and 150 days in the Cooke County Jail for hoaxing hate crimes.

Range was from probation up to 30 days, community service, restitution, pay penalties or 1 to 3 year prison sentence per charge. Was found guilty on 5 of 6 charges.

• Thanks 1

The Judge went back over the facts of the trial for around a half hour before announcing the sentence. 

If anyone has an interest in this case I urge you to watch the entire sentencing statement in its entirety. The judge lays out what the aggrevating issues were that led to more than just probation. 

15 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

The Judge went back over the facts of the trial for around a half hour before announcing the sentence. 

If anyone has an interest in this case I urge you to watch the entire sentencing statement in its entirety. The judge lays out what the aggrevating issues were that led to more than just probation. 

12 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Judge lays out the case and why he gave the sentence that he did. Smollett reacts angrily at the end.

I watched/listened to some of it, absolutely scathing!!

15 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Smollett sentenced to 30 months probation, restitution of $126,000, $25,000 fine and 150 days in the Cooke County Jail for hoaxing hate crimes.

Range was from probation up to 30 days, community service, restitution, pay penalties or 1 to 3 year prison sentence per charge. Was found guilty on 5 of 6 charges.

All things considered I think this is a light sentence for Smollett.  Instead of "acting a fool" in court he should have been thankful the punishment was minimal.  With that said, if Smollett actually serves 5 months in jail that is a real punishment.

2 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

He said that in case something happens to him in jail.  Sandra Bland.  

I agree.  Although he was clearly upset (as anyone would be) what I really heard from Smollett was I am not suicidal and if anything happens to me in jail it is criminal.  For the record, that is the one thing Smollett told us that I believe.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

He said that in case something happens to him in jail.  Sandra Bland.  

Maybe I'm a total fool (probably am), but wasn't Bland's death confirmed a suicide and part of the evidence included cut marks from previous self-harm, etc? 

I know the jail ended up being in trouble for not making proper rounds or something, but did they end up in trouble for killing her too? 

24 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Maybe I'm a total fool (probably am), but wasn't Bland's death confirmed a suicide and part of the evidence included cut marks from previous self-harm, etc? 

I know the jail ended up being in trouble for not making proper rounds or something, but did they end up in trouble for killing her too? 

Not that I know of.  I’m fairly certain the jail absolved from any wrongdoing.