Forde confused by another voting scandal in Florida

OldRaider22

At least Urban Meyer was man enough to stay out of the process from day 1. Count on more taking notice next year. Here comes the mid major coaches poll deciding 1/3 of the title picture...

Meyer said the other night when they interviewed him that he didn't get a vote in the Coaches poll. Not sure why or if it was correct.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Fav part:

"The only way to know for sure is, of course, a playoff. But if you call a Division I-A university president today, you'll probably get the following ramble: "academic concerns … length of season … maintain integrity of the regular season … Meineke Car Care … MPC Computers … once-in-a-lifetime experience … this is a recording. …"

Lee Corso was on Lance yesterday and he said he didn't think it would happen because of $$$$. He pointed out that college football ratings has never been higher including regular season.

He pointed out that you have a playoff and the OSU/Michigan regular season game doesn't mean as much to the general college football fan and ratings decline. Honestly, with a playoff what is the chances that college football loses it's primetime Saturday game?

I wouldn't have been tracking the USC-UCLA score because USC would have been in the playoffs.

Say what you will but the present system brings relevance to the regular season where a playoff makes the regular season lose some relevance.

You don't find it the least bit odd that this is the first time in the 16 year history of USA Today running this poll that a Coach knowingly didn't submit a vote? You don't see the bad precedent it sets? If so, I'm better off getting a solid debate with Ms GT on this one...

I dont mind it at all. He didnt vote. Then he gave us his reason as to why he did not vote. Your making it a lot bigger deal than it should be in my eyes.

Lee Corso was on Lance yesterday and he said he didn't think it would happen because of $$$$. He pointed out that college football ratings has never been higher including regular season.

He pointed out that you have a playoff and the OSU/Michigan regular season game doesn't mean as much to the general college football fan and ratings decline. Honestly, with a playoff what is the chances that college football loses it's primetime Saturday game?

I wouldn't have been tracking the USC-UCLA score because USC would have been in the playoffs.

Say what you will but the present system brings relevance to the regular season where a playoff makes the regular season lose some relevance.

You dont have to play well to get in the playoffs?

Jim Tressel is not Woody Hayes, hes Jim Tressel. Say what you want about him hes getting it done as a football coach at Ohio St. This is being blown out of proportion. Its not going to ruin college football. :lol:

This one vote, probably won't. But look at the precedent. What if 10 coaches decide not to vote? 20? Now we're looking at half of the vote being absent. IMO, coaches vote shouldn't even be included in determining who gets in, because they are all biased, as you pointed out, because they want whats best for their teams. When I was little I didn't want to play on a baseball team because it was hard for me to get much PT. My dad always told me that "if you make a comittment, you have to honor it". I'm just holding Mr. Sweater Vest to the same standard.

This one vote, probably won't. But look at the precedent. What if 10 coaches decide not to vote? 20? Now we're looking at half of the vote being absent. IMO, coaches vote shouldn't even be included in determining who gets in, because they are all biased, as you pointed out, because they want whats best for their teams. When I was little I didn't want to play on a baseball team because it was hard for me to get much PT. My dad always told me that "if you make a comittment, you have to honor it". I'm just holding Mr. Sweater Vest to the same standard.

Outside of Myer & Carr, he was the only one with a conflict. Nit picking if you ask me. BTW - I don't think it's your job to hold someone that you've probably never met to your father's standard. My dad said to not disrespect someone unless you've walked in his/her shoes.

You can lose once or twice and still end up playing in a national title game. Wake Forest and Oklahoma would make a playoff while a LSU or Boise State or Wisconsin would stay home in a 8-team playoff.

Give six automatic bids to the playoffs for the six BCS conferences. All must be conference champions. Give the seventh bid to the highest rated conference champion not in the BCS (Boise State). Then give a final at-large bid to the highest remaining non-champion, which would have got Michigan in. It still puts the impetus on winning the conference. Let everyone else play in bowl games. Why wouldn't this work? Why would the NCAA lose money?!

Give six automatic bids to the playoffs for the six BCS conferences. All must be conference champions. Give the seventh bid to the highest rated conference champion not in the BCS (Boise State). Then give a final at-large bid to the highest remaining non-champion, which would have got Michigan in. It still puts the impetus on winning the conference. Let everyone else play in bowl games. Why wouldn't this work? Why would the NCAA lose money?!

So two (Oklahoma and Wake Forest) teams rated in the teens are in and #4 LSU is left out as well as #7 Wisconsin or #9 Auburn. Yeah, no outrage in the media or fans with this setup and a true representation when the 4th best team in the country doesn't even get a shot. Not much different than the present system where they don't get a shot either.

Also, a point I have made before. I believe it was 11 bowl games played on New YEars' Day or LATER. NY Day is the big television day for bowl games. High exposure which means sponsors are willing to pony up the moolah for hearing about the Tostito WHATEVER bowl.

Not going to have that with your setup. Make the championship game on NYD and you have one bowl game on NYD. Make the first round on that day so you can have 4 games and now you are finishing the national championship game as a prelude to the Super Bowl.

So which is it going to be,

A)move the major games off of New Year's Day

B)leave them there but let it be teams OUTSIDE of the playoffs and give Tostito a UC/UK matchup to promote to the country

C)leave as is.

Which means NCAA losing $$$$$? I would say A and B.

Again, it is not about the integrity of college football, it is about the business of college football. Rail all you want on whether that is right or wrong (and I would probably be right there with you on making decisions in colleges about $$$)but it is the reality.

Do you know of any other instance where a coaches vote is 1/3 of the final equation? This system stands alone. If he doesn't want involved, say so from the start. 20 years without a coach abstaining from the vote? That says enough to me...

Coaches abstain all the time, just not officially. Very few coaches fill out their own ballots. They know very little about the teams they are voting on (except for their opponents or the opponents - opponents) Coaches do not have time to sit around and watch other college football games. Sportwriters and other media members do, that is their job. That is why it is sad that the AP is not involved in the BCS Process.

I don't neccessarily agree with JT's decision not to vote, by my GOD, are we as fans making a mountain out of a mole hill. He was in a very tough position; vote for Florida and the UofM and Big Ten fans call him a traitor, vote for UofM and the Florida has bulletin board material) It was a no win situation and he did do what coaches are paid to do. Look out for the best interest of the team.

Is a playoff the answer? No absolutely not!!!!

4 Teams and we are arguing about the 5th, 6th and 7th place teams that did not make it. 8 Teams and and now teams 9-12 are mad. 16 Teams and so on and so on and so on.

As a fan of the Big Televen I don't want a Championship Game. I don't think you should have to beat a team twice in one season to win a conference. These are money games that have absolved so many great matchups. For example. Nebraska and Oklahoma should be playing every year. How many of the SEC championship games have been very close? Only 3 times since 1992 has the final margin been less than 10 points. The last one being 1997. Again it is a situation where do the two "best" teams in the conference meet in the championship?

I am looking forward to a great Big Televen/SEC match up. We will settle it on the field on Jan 8th. Should be a great game. I suspect it will be much closer than some are predicting.

OH-IO