Forde confused by another voting scandal in Florida

OldRaider22

GT has been saying it.

What GT is saying is the same exact thing being said in this article. If UF is the best team fine, we can debate that until we're blue in the face, but fine. But there was nothing in a win against Ark. that magically turned them into that team. If you don't want 2 teams from the same conference, a rematch, or a non-conference champion in the title game fine, put it in the rules. But don't make it up as you go. And please don't encourage whining and politicking the way Urban Meyer did for UF. That shouldn't be what we strive for in collegiant athletics.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is, there isn't anything in the rules that states, "if you already had a shot. Or your not a conference champion." Put that in and I'm good. I also find it quite convenient that you use the most recent rankings to make your comparisons in some spots, but not others. It certainly doesn't hurt your case to do so I suppose.

And your last point is hilarious when others take the same approach.

You want me to use the rankings at the time they played them and then you can attack me for including a team ranked in the top 25 in September but not at the end of the year and that team was a sham.

I used the end of the season because it represents who finished the season as the strongest teams.

What GT is saying is the same exact thing being said in this article. If UF is the best team fine, we can debate that until we're blue in the face, but fine. But there was nothing in a win against Ark. that magically turned them into that team. If you don't want 2 teams from the same conference, a rematch, or a non-conference champion in the title game fine, put it in the rules. But don't make it up as you go. And please don't encourage whining and politicking the way Urban Meyer did for UF. That shouldn't be what we strive for in collegiant athletics.

Check the other threads... he's saying it's been fixed by the SEC.

Check the other threads... he's saying it's been fixed by the SEC.

I don't know who did the "fixin" but I know a rat when I see one. Somethings not right, that's all I can say. If the shoe were on any other foot I'd feel the same exact way. You have to admit, it does look bad for the SEC, with the SEC president being president of the BCS as well. From an outsider's perspective, if I were looking to point fingers, I know where I'd start. I find it comical that Jim Tressell had a conflict of interest, and chose not to participate in the voting, but the SEC president had no conflict of interest in his dealings with the BCS. I'm not saying anything was fixed, thinking it maybe, but definately not saying it.:sssh:

I don't know who did the "fixin" but I know a rat when I see one. Somethings not right, that's all I can say. If the shoe were on any other foot I'd feel the same exact way. You have to admit, it does look bad for the SEC, with the SEC president being president of the BCS as well. From an outsider's perspective, if I were looking to point fingers, I know where I'd start. I find it comical that Jim Tressell had a conflict of interest, and chose not to participate in the voting, but the SEC president had no conflict of interest in his dealings with the BCS. I'm not saying anything was fixed, thinking it maybe, but definately not saying it.:sssh:

Heard the same thing when CM Newton was on the NCAA committee during the 90's and charges were that UK always got the breaks on the selections and where they went.

The Big TEN needs to be The Big TWELVE and then OSU and UM would maybe play twice and each have a loss or one have two losses. It's hard to compare if your done before Thanksgiving and don't have a Conference Chanpionship game. I presonally don't see how OSU gets top billing by only beating one or two ranked teams. Playing such and making it to the end with and without some of your best players is what makes you great. Louisville lost Bush in the first game of the season, and Broham for several games but yet only lost one game. Florida had to play 13 games including the Conference Championship game against a very good Arkansas team that had beat the Auburn team that had given them their one and only loss. I think Florida deserves to be there because they played their way in.

Kelli (Cleveland, Ohio): I am so sick of hearing "the SEC is the toughest conference in college football". Did you find that to be true THIS YEAR?

sn2.gifPat Forde: (2:33 PM ET ) Kelli: Yes I do. I think the top half of the SEC was clearly better than the top half of any other league.

Lebanon Kentucky: Do you think Mich. should have been in the BCS title game, or do you think that they pick the right team

sn2.gifPat Forde: (2:30 PM ET ) I'm glad Florida is in the game. I just dislike the way it came about. Don't like the switcheroo voting that occurred while Michigan was on the sideline. But I'd prefer Florida-Ohio State

Another good read and comments, I agree wholheartedly.

I like the point that was brought up about the split. Maybe that would catch some SEC folks eyes. If UF squeaks by OSU, and UM blasts USC by 3 TD's or more, the AP voters could very well do an about face again, and vote for a split. Why not? They already did it once. And it seems plausible, since the "Big 10 contingent" that had been voting for OSU, would now be voting for UM.

And here is your answer regarding conference championships:

Hi, Pat. With the scrutiny and controversy of UF passing up Mich for the title game, could it be just that playing a conference championship game made the difference? Why aren't we hearing more voices asking for expanding all BCS conferences to 12 teams and playing conf. championship games? That way there would be another Mich/OSU game, and all would be settled.

Pat Forde: (2:16 PM ET ) I'd love to see some uniformity -- either everyone has a league championship game or nobody does. And since those games essentially exist only to rake in more money, I'd vote for none. But it's extremely hard to get every conference on the same page in a system that essentially takes control of the sport out of the hands of the NCAA.

Another good read and comments, I agree wholheartedly.

I like the point that was brought up about the split. Maybe that would catch some SEC folks eyes. If UF squeaks by OSU, and UM blasts USC by 3 TD's or more, the AP voters could very well do an about face again, and vote for a split. Why not? They already did it once. And it seems plausible, since the "Big 10 contingent" that had been voting for OSU, would now be voting for UM.

IMO, a pipe dream to think either will happen.

Kelli (Cleveland, Ohio): I am so sick of hearing "the SEC is the toughest conference in college football". Did you find that to be true THIS YEAR?

sn2.gifPat Forde: (2:33 PM ET ) Kelli: Yes I do. I think the top half of the SEC was clearly better than the top half of any other league.

Lebanon Kentucky: Do you think Mich. should have been in the BCS title game, or do you think that they pick the right team

sn2.gifPat Forde: (2:30 PM ET ) I'm glad Florida is in the game. I just dislike the way it came about. Don't like the switcheroo voting that occurred while Michigan was on the sideline. But I'd prefer Florida-Ohio State

I'd probably buy both of those statements. I'm with him, I just dislike the way it all went down. Obviously, I don't prefer UF/OSU, but if it had been that way from the go, I could accept it.