Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Colgate 67 Cincinnati 66

Featured Replies

The Brannen and Cumberland experiment has reached critical mass.

What the heck was Cumberland doing throwing it up from half court with seconds to go?

 

He thought UC was winning? He is turning into a clown.

  • Author
What the heck was Cumberland doing throwing it up from half court with seconds to go?

 

He thought UC was winning? He is turning into a clown.

 

Brannen said “he didn’t know the score” and said “he’s gotta do the right thing in terms of putting the right players on the floor, even if it’s unpopular.”

 

Ouch.

Brannen said “he didn’t know the score” and said “he’s gotta do the right thing in terms of putting the right players on the floor, even if it’s unpopular.”

 

Ouch.

 

I feel bad for Brannen but maybe I'm bias.

 

Let's pretend that Cumberland really didn't know the score at all at the time of the shot...that still doesn't explain heaving it from half court when no one is trying to foul you. I just don't get it.

 

I'm not sure I have much respect for Cumberland as a competitor at this point.

I feel bad for Brannen but maybe I'm bias.

 

Let's pretend that Cumberland really didn't know the score at all at the time of the shot...that still doesn't explain heaving it from half court when no one is trying to foul you. I just don't get it.

 

I'm not sure I have much respect for Cumberland as a competitor at this point.

 

I'm right there with you, feel bad for Brannen to an extent. I feel like some players didn't have a great deal of respect for him going into this season. Not sure if it has to do with him coming from NKU or what but the way things have played out since he was named the new head coach that's the way I've perceived it all.

  • Author
I feel bad for Brannen but maybe I'm bias.

 

Let's pretend that Cumberland really didn't know the score at all at the time of the shot...that still doesn't explain heaving it from half court when no one is trying to foul you. I just don't get it.

 

I'm not sure I have much respect for Cumberland as a competitor at this point.

 

I’m surprised Brannen was so vocal. Usually, coaches will cover for players. Clearly, he’s fed up.

I’m surprised Brannen was so vocal. Usually, coaches will cover for players. Clearly, he’s fed up.

 

When Coach Brannen took the job my wife made the comment that he would have a few issues as UC players were very different from NKU guys (we've watched both teams several times in person). I think she was correct. He only has Vogt. No Drew, Tyler, Jalen, or Dantez. Those guys play no matter what!

I can not explain the play at the end of the Colgate game -- not sure I have ever seen anything like it. But, based on the comments I seen it looks like we are discussing something a little bigger than one play or one game or one lose. For the record, I have no sympathy for Brannen. He could have been a legend at NKU, maybe even built it into a mid-major powerhouse, but he wanted a new challenge. He viewed UC as a step up and took the opportunity (and money) to further his career. I think people are letting him off the hook (same people are making excuses for Zac Taylor too) for this season. Isn't the coaches job to adjust and tweek and adapt to the talent he has on the team? None of us know the details behind the relationship of Brannen and Cumberland. I hate seeing his last season being ruined. I believe in personal responsibility, so Cumberland deserves some criticism for his performance this season. I also think Brannen is part of the problem, but that is not how the narrative is being portrayed.

I can not explain the play at the end of the Colgate game -- not sure I have ever seen anything like it. But, based on the comments I seen it looks like we are discussing something a little bigger than one play or one game or one lose. For the record, I have no sympathy for Brannen. He could have been a legend at NKU, maybe even built it into a mid-major powerhouse, but he wanted a new challenge. He viewed UC as a step up and took the opportunity (and money) to further his career. I think people are letting him off the hook (same people are making excuses for Zac Taylor too) for this season. Isn't the coaches job to adjust and tweek and adapt to the talent he has on the team? None of us know the details behind the relationship of Brannen and Cumberland. I hate seeing his last season being ruined. I believe in personal responsibility, so Cumberland deserves some criticism for his performance this season. I also think Brannen is part of the problem, but that is not how the narrative is being portrayed.

 

I personally don't blame Brannen one bit for taking on the challenge and the money. Extremely hard to turn down a 4-5x pay raise, especially when you don't even have to move your family. I feel like you're showing some bias against Brannen with this post because you're upset that he chose to leave NKU. I hate to say it, but as NKU fans, I think we need to get used to that. Best case scenario is losing their coach every 4-5 years because it means they had a lot of success during their tenure.

 

As from Cumberland, like you said, we don't know the true story there but if his last season is ruined, he can blame himself. Could Brannen be a part of the problem, maybe, but I think the narrative is probably being portrayed as it should on this one. The end of that Colgate game is just ridiculous, even if he thought they were winning, it still doesn't make sense.

I personally don't blame Brannen one bit for taking on the challenge and the money. Extremely hard to turn down a 4-5x pay raise, especially when you don't even have to move your family. I feel like you're showing some bias against Brannen with this post because you're upset that he chose to leave NKU. I hate to say it, but as NKU fans, I think we need to get used to that. Best case scenario is losing their coach every 4-5 years because it means they had a lot of success during their tenure.

 

As from Cumberland, like you said, we don't know the true story there but if his last season is ruined, he can blame himself. Could Brannen be a part of the problem, maybe, but I think the narrative is probably being portrayed as it should on this one. The end of that Colgate game is just ridiculous, even if he thought they were winning, it still doesn't make sense.

 

NKU is a stepping stone program. I have no problem there. I love NKUs arena, because I can get a comfortable seat for high school regional games. I also like that over the years NKU has recruited the state. But, otherwise I root for NKU as local team, but truth be known I am a UC guy. I got on the bandwagon in the early 90s with Hugs and it has not changed. The Colgate play is ridiculous I can not argue that. The Brannen/Cumberland relationship has not been good from the beginning though. That relationship is also making for a tough last season for Cumberland. I am not sure who is to blame, but I think they both have a share in it.

Start the Cumberland gambling investigation. There is no other explanation for that last shot.

Start the Cumberland gambling investigation. There is no other explanation for that last shot.

 

How tight was the spread?

From the outside looking in, I think Cumberland is being held accountable for the first time in his career, and he doesn't like it. We've seen him completely shut down in the past under Cronin, and nothing came of it. Even former players have called him out for what appeared to be a lack of emotion and drive in some games. Brannen seems to be a no-nonsense kind of coach, regardless of who you are, and that doesn't bode well for Cumberland.

As someone that has a small stake in the UC Bearcats success, I sure hope they get it figured out. Got a tough one tomorrow.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.