2019 Gardner Law King of the Bluegrass

Please don't under estimate how much we appreciate all the great teams and players across the state of Kentucky.

It has been our tradition for 39 years to have 12 kentucky schools and four out-of state teams.

It's not easy making the selections...this year it was extremely tough picking the Kentucky schools and even tougher selecting the out-of-state schools. Just this week I had three schools from outside Kentucky wanting to participate. We absolutely like the teams mentioned above but sometimes we must make tough decisions based on paying the expensive. The 2019 field has teams from western Kentucky (McCracken County and Madisonville North Hopkins) and two teams from eastern Kentucky (Clay County and Sheldon Clark...now Martin County) that have great fan following...but tough to make the trip before Christmas. We think all four of these teams will be ranked in the Top 20 preseason. Now...in an effort to pay the bills we need good teams with some very good all-state canidates that will not only bring their fans but will also draw a crowd. Sorry, but some shools just draw better than others and we don't even break even when the gate reciepts won't pay the bills. We are so thankful to all our sponsors...or we couldn't have this event.

Sometimes we make mistakes...but for the past 38 years I think we have done a great job of selecting the teams.

Last years KOB had five states represented:

5 States...5 in Final Four

Trinity - Kentucky State Champions

Brentwood - Tennessee Runner-up - Division II / Class 2A

Evanston Township - Illinois Runner-up - Class 4A

South Shore - New York City - PSAL AA Champions (New York City) - State Runner-up

South Miami - Florida Class 9A Final Four

Edited by King of the Bluegrass
spelling

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't under estimate how much we appreciate all the great teams and players across the state of Kentucky.

It has been our tradition for 39 years to have 12 kentucky schools and four out-of state teams.

It's not easy making the selections...this year it was extremely tough picking the Kentucky schools and even tougher selecting the out-of-state schools. Just this week I had three schools from outside Kentucky wanting to participate. We absolutely like the teams mentioned above but sometimes we must make tough decisions based on paying the expensive. The 2019 field has teams from western Kentucky (McCracken County and Madisonville North Hopkins) and two teams from eastern Kentucky (Clay County and Sheldon Clark...now Martin County) that have great fan following...but tough to make the trip before Christmas. We think all four of these teams will be ranked in the Top 20 preseason. Now...in an effort to pay the bills we need good teams with some very good all-state canidates that will not only bring their fans but will also draw a crowd. Sorry, but some shools just draw better than others and we don't even break even when the gate reciepts won't pay the bills. We are so thankful to all our sponsors...or we couldn't have this event.

Sometimes we make mistakes...but for the past 38 years I think we have done a great job of selecting the teams.

Last years KOB had five states represented:

5 States...5 in Final Four

Trinity - Kentucky State Champions

Brentwood - Tennessee Runner-up - Division II / Class 2A

Evanston Township - Illinois Runner-up - Class 4A

South Shore - New York City - PSAL AA Champions (New York City) - State Runner-up

South Miami - Florida Class 9A Final Four

I like the field and will down there at least a couple days from Indiana. McKnight and Veil are the real deal at Collins and could win this tourney. South Oldham is capable of getting hot on a given night and play with anyone. I'm interested in seeing the Powell kid at North Oldham. And Male is beyond loaded, probable favorites and preseason number 1 in Kentucky.

Only team I may have tried to add would have been Fern Creek but there's plenty of talent.

• 2 months later...

The KOB will be Dec. 19-23rd this year, below are the participating teams.

Kentucky Teams:

Trinity

Madisonville-North Hopkins

Male

Ballard

Clay County

Collins

Fairdale

LaRue County

McCracken County

North Oldham

Sheldon Clark

South Oldham

Bardstown

Out of State Teams:

Wycote Bishop McDevitt (PA)

Miami Palmetto (FL)

Trotwood Madison (OH)

By mutual agreement Brentwood Academy will not be playing in this years tournament. We immediately added Bardstown.

Please let me explain.

Two years ago Brentwood had a contract to the attend the KOB with their McDonald's All-American Darius Garland. His father, Winston Garland, played in the NBA, an college basketball at Missouri State in Springfield, Missouri. The Bass Pro Classic invited Brentwood Academy to play in their tournament in January. Because of THSAA rules they could not play in both the KOB and the Bass Pro. Missouri State was going to honor Winston and they requested that we allow them to go to Springfield so Darius could be in attendance when he was honored. We immediately let them out of their contract. Darius was the 5th pick in the 2019 NBA Cleveland Cavaliers.

On Tuesday Coach Hubie Smith called me an said that he was retiring and that his two best players had transferred...one was a top 20 junior Randy Brady. Coach Smith's assistant got the job and they both agreed that in fairness to the KOB they would be willing to drop out of this years tournament.

Brentwood Academy is one of the top programs in Tennessee and they will certainly be back in the KOB in the future.

I wonder why they didn't invite 12th region defending champions Lincoln County. They return 4 starters and one of the best Sophomores in the state in Jaxson Smith.

Doesn't Bardstown have a kid that's going to University of Louisville? Seems like an obvious choice to invite if that is the case.

Bardstown is on the list. I thought they tried to invite the best teams from each region.

It’s about having good teams, but also about recruits that put butts in the seats. They always try to get schools that have talent being recruited by the area colleges. A UL offer is an automatic invite.