Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 3A Playoffs: #3 Belfry vs. #4 Ashland Predictions/Updates

Who Wins? 27 members have voted

  1. 1. Who Wins?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

The 3A game of the week takes place in CAM stadium this week, as the Pirates host Ashland's Tomcats. Belfry comes into this week after barely being tested as week. Ashland have to work harder to put Russell away, however, Ashland looked razor sharp last week and looks to continue that. This will be Belfry power against Ashland speed. Who wins?

  • Replies 54
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’d say the Pirates since it at home. This should be a really good game that could go either way.

It all comes down to penalties and turnovers when two evenly matched teams play. Should be a good one.

Quite possibly the two best backfields in 3A will go toe-to-toe this Friday at the CAM. Ashland's Blake Hester and Keontae Pittman have confounded opposing defenses with their arsenal of jukes, stop on a dime cutbacks, and breakaway speed. Belfry should expect to see one of those two touching the ball on 95% of Ashland's snaps. The rest of the team, combined, has just 133 yards rushing.

 

Belfry counters with the three headed monster of Peyton Hensley, Ben Bentley, and Isaac Dixon. They're not lacking for speed themselves and probably run with more physicality. You've also got to throw in QB Brett Coleman. He's a much bigger running threat than Ashland's Jake Gregg, though you have to respect Gregg's ability to throw it a little. He's not going to stand in the pocket and pick apart the Belfry secondary like Beau Allen did last year, but he's come along as a passer as the season's progressed.

 

This might be surprising to some, but Ashland has dominated the head to head series, 18-3. Even during this 15+ year period of excellence by the Belfry program, the Tomcats have won four out of five during that time frame. Throughout his storied career, Haywood is 3-10 all time against them. There's some kind of pro-Ashland black magic in the air when these two have met over the decades.

 

This isn't the third round game I was hoping for, but purely from the perspective of a football fan, I'll take it. This should be a great game

Edited by DevilMayCare

I'll go with Belfry by 7 at home.

I honestly don't know what to expect.

 

I think I can see this going as a 4 TD margin either way potentially.

 

Belfry's size will give Ashland problems and Ashland's ability to get outside and to the second level will be problematic for Belfry.

 

I like the Pirates at the LOS if they can execute. Belfry's Special Teams have been schizophrenic all year and may play a huge role.

 

I will say Belfry 26-24.

This might be surprising to some, but Ashland has dominated the head to head series, 18-3. Even during this 15+ year period of excellence by the Belfry program, the Tomcats have won four out of five during that time frame. Throughout his storied career, Haywood is 3-10 all time against them. There's some kind of pro-Ashland black magic in the air when these two have met over the decades.

 

 

To play Devil's advocate, Ashland has been very strategic on when and where they have chosen to play Belfry the past 15-20 years.

 

Five of the seven meetings in the past 25 years have been at Putnam Stadium (all won by Ashland) and Ashland did not play Belfry in any of the seasons that the Pirates eventually went on to win State Titles.

 

Ashland also has avoided Belfry in that timeframe in some of the Tomcats' weakest seasons in 99, 00, 03, 07, 08, and 14 were all 5+ loss seasons for Ashland.

I honestly don't know what to expect.

 

I think I can see this going as a 4 TD margin either way potentially.

 

Belfry's size will give Ashland problems and Ashland's ability to get outside and to the second level will be problematic for Belfry.

 

I like the Pirates at the LOS if they can execute. Belfry's Special Teams have been schizophrenic all year and may play a huge role.

 

I will say Belfry 26-24.

 

I'm with ya to an extent. I don't see it being a 4 score game either way, two maybe, but I'm more in line with your final prediction, I honestly feel like the game will be decided by a touchdown or less. Given that Belfry has home field advantage I'll take them in a close one.

 

Your synopsis is spot on though. Belfry has the size to cause Ashland problems and Ashland has the speed to cause most teams problems on any given night.

 

I feel like Ashland has seen some teams that are similar to Belfry though as far as size and physicality go. Wheelersburg, Ironton and Russell all play smashmouth football and I feel like playing Russell twice in three weeks has helped Ashland prep for this Belfry team.

 

If the game were at Putnam I'd take my Tomcats in this one. But alas, the RPI system has killed Ashland this season due to their out of state opponents. Which makes me wonder if the Ashland/Belfry series could be rekindled in the near future with each team dropping one of their out of state opponents.

To play Devil's advocate, Ashland has been very strategic on when and where they have chosen to play Belfry the past 15-20 years.

 

Five of the seven meetings in the past 25 years have been at Putnam Stadium (all won by Ashland) and Ashland did not play Belfry in any of the seasons that the Pirates eventually went on to win State Titles.

 

Ashland also has avoided Belfry in that timeframe in some of the Tomcats' weakest seasons in 99, 00, 03, 07, 08, and 14 were all 5+ loss seasons for Ashland.

 

I can buy into the idea that Ashland was in no hurry to tangle with Belfry when the Pirates were at their absolute peak - in fairness, not many others in EKY wanted that smoke, either - but they played them a few times while they were among the best in their class. Ashland had to anticipate that Belfry would be pretty strong in those '06-'12 years, even if those seasons didn't result in championships. I'll give the Tomcat at least a little credit.

Belfry 28-27.

Pirates 15, Tomcats 3 per the poll.

Any live broadcast for this game?

One of the best games in the state today. Would love to be in attendance for this one. Ashland is tough, but I think Dixon will have a monster game and be the difference. Kid can flat out PLAY!

Ashland got the ball first and picked up good yardage on their first two snaps. They're in Belfry territory.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.