Class 5A Playoffs: #10 Fairdale at #7 Owensboro Predictions/Updates

DevilMayCare

Who advances to the state semifinals?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances to the state semifinals?

Owensboro (11-1) is coming in hot, fresh off of their sixth shutout of the season, a 43-0 blowout of Graves County. Fairdale (11-1), on the other hand, had to survive a stiff challenge from Bullitt Central to get to this point, scoring a late touchdown to survive and advance, 33-27.

Both teams can score the football - Fairdale leads 5A with 46 ppg, while Owensboro averages 39, but the Red Devils boast a defense that rates among the state's finest, allowing a paltry 5.6 ppg.

Can the Bulldogs make the step up in competition to continue their Cinderella season, or will the clock strike midnight at Rash Stadium?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s hard for me to assess Fairdale based upon their schedule. But if they play like they did in Round 2, it will be a slaughter. That said, every team lays an egg sometimes but still wins the game. Owensboro’s Avery is back and is adding a lot back to the rushing attack. The Red Devils are one of the most athletic teams in the state and are a dominating defensive team. Add back into the mix 1st team all-state Linebacker Austin Gough and they are phenomenal. Gough is a fast hard hitting LB who elevates the already outstanding defense.

I’m sure Fairdale has some great athletes as well and won’t lay down. Cal Preps has this one 35-21. Owensboro gave up 10 to a very solid Evansville Central team with a great QB, RB and athletes everywhere.

The game is on the turf at Rash and the crowd is right on you. Hayden, Stevenson and Tinsley are a great WR corps and Wimsatt is probably the best Sophomore QB in the state. Runner, beautiful bomb pass any time he wants it. There really aren’t many weaknesses to Owensboro. Great O and D-lines.

Owensboro if they come to play wins 35-14.

@dawgs83 Owensboro always play the 3 other Owensboro teams (Owensboro Catholic, Apollo and Daviess County). Catholic is always a very good team in 2A, Apollo was up and down, but had a brutal schedule and are a big 6A school. Apollo beat Meade and Owensboro Catholic and should have beat Top 10 6A Henderson. Daviess was also up and down, but are a big 6A school with some great speed and big line. They beat Apollo and Henderson. Henderson beat McCracken. The district teams were all pretty bad besides Graves, which also had a brutal schedule (losing to McCracken, Paducah Tighlman and Mayfield, as well as Owensboro twice) Graves was ranked and was a really good team. Owensboro had 5 games in-district which took away one of its out of area teams (which was usually Bowling Green). Owensboro split with BG last year, winning the rematch in the playoffs. Evansville Central was the best team Owensboro has played. Great offense. Great athletes. Owensboro lost 10-8 early in the season, despite outgaining them and having several chances in the RZ to win the game. I would guess all of these teams were better than anyone Fairdale played (again besides the BRECK, OHIO, GRAYSON, MUHLENBURG district teams). My rank:

Evansville Central

Henderson

Graves

Apollo/Daviess

Catholic

Owensboro Running clocked Graves, Apollo, Daviess, Catholic and all 4 other district teams. That's 9 times for a running clock.

The dawgs will be ready! Chance to prove themselves. Not well versed on teams in Owensboro area but how good are the teams that they have played?

Never say never but honestly Fairdale doesn't stand a chance vs Owensboro. Fairdale hasn't played anyone. Owensboro is really good, especially defensively. If Fairdale scores more than once I'll be surprised.

Owensboro 49

Fairdale 0

Fairdale has some athletes no doubt spreads the ball around well. For them it will be how good their O- and D-lines are. If their O-line isn’t great, their QB is gonna have to chuck it quickly. Wimsatt if he’s on target is unbelievable. He will take off alot. I think Owensboro scores plenty, but I think Fairdale is good enough to get some scores as well.

I understand the criticism of our schedule. However, We are averaging 49ppg and have had a running clock in all but three games. We have taken care of business. We are loaded at the receiver spot. We may get beat like you all say, But I think we will put points on the board. See you Friday night.

Fairdale's season is one of the best stories in the state this year. To only have one loss through twelve games with numerous wins via blowout tells me that, at the very least, the Bulldogs have a good team. But are they great? It's hard to say, given their schedule. The comfortable blanket of that schedule/district is about to be pulled away. We're going to find out this week how they fare in the cold.

I understand the criticism of our schedule. However, We are averaging 49ppg and have had a running clock in all but three games. We have taken care of business. We are loaded at the receiver spot. We may get beat like you all say, But I think we will put points on the board. See you Friday night.

I definitely will be pulling for Fairdale and hope they put up good showing or win.