Tubby = Coker...thoughts?

RockPride

Take off the blue colored glasses and you'd see it. I'm not a UK Bball fan(I don't even like Bball) but the program has gotten worse since he has been there for one simple reason. In order to be successful in college Bball you have to recruit well and he CAN'T. Thats all it boils down to right there.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: You can't always find diamonds in the rough. Until UK gets somebody in there that can recruit they will be in trouble....PERIOD!!!!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm far from a Tubby basher, but this was one of my first thoughts too when seeing Coker was fired.

And for those saying Tubby hasn't had the off the field problems that Coker had, well he hasn't been perfect. Team Turmoil, Jason Parker, Fitch and (??) getting caught at Varsity Blue, Crawford leaving and then returning to the team....

For the most part Tubby had done very well other than during the Big Dance. But thats really all we care about. You can lose 15 games a year and nobody will care if you put Final 4/Title runs in every few years.

The biggest problem I see is that he doesn't seem to be able to relate to the top end talent. You see it in recruiting, and performance after they get to UK. How do we take Morris/Rondo/Bradley/Crawford and make them boring to watch? How do we take Woo/Shag/Carter and make them totally worthless?

Maybe we'll see with this class (who I think is very talented), but Tubby seems to drain the life/fun/ability out of players.

I do think if he finishes outside the top 20 this year, he'll have to finish in the top 10 the next or his job will be in SERIOUS jeopardy.

.733 winning %. compare that to the others who have coached at UK.

Rick Pitino (took over in darkest hour) 219-50 .814

Joe B. Hall 297-100 .748

Adolph Rupp 879-190 .822

All better than Tubby, who took over when UK was on top of the basketball world.

Maybe we'll see with this class (who I think is very talented), but Tubby seems to drain the life/fun/ability out of players.

We were talking about this at work today. Pitino seemed to be able to pull every ounce of effort and skill out of most players and Tubby can take a good player and destroy his game with our new style of ball. We changed a lot of stuff during the off-season, but a lot remains the same.........

I just got the below e-mail from a buddy of mine who is a UK alum and fan...

I want to know one thing. Everyone talks about how great Tubby is and how he won a championship and blah blah blah. But, what he has done is very similar to another coach who won a championship and a bunch of games for a great program in football….Does everyone know who I am speaking of….???

That is right kids, Larry Coker. He lost 1 game in 3 years and would have won 2 national championships if it weren’t for a flag being thrown 15 seconds after a play! He won those games with Butch Davis players and now that he has slowly been getting worse every year for the past 3 years they kicked his butt out of there. Miami wants to win, they should win, they expect to win because they are Miami. They should expect to win, why shouldn’t they win. UK bball is the same way. We should expect to win, we should win and we are not winning when it counts. It is time for him to go and that is all there is to be said about that.

If you are a coach of a big time program and you do NOTHING there then you should be out. He has done nothing but bring the program down slowly.

I would be more apt to take this thread more seriously if it were coming from a Wildcat fan, not a UL backer that loves stirring up the stink..

UK ranked 30th in AP poll, 33rd in Coaches' poll, not ranked in Parrish's poll, and 168th in CBS Sportsline RPI rankings - one notch below Florida Atlantic and one notch above Rice.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls/rpi/index2

How is a true UK fan supposed to feel about this?

Once again you have not answered what I asked. Earlier in this thread you claimed that UK has gotten worse every year Tubby has been here. Then after I said something, you changed it to UK has gotten worse every year since Pitinos players were all gone. Then I showed you that was not true. So Im still waiting for you to show me where the program has gotten worse every year since Tubby has been here, and I got a feeling I will be waiting a VERY LONG TIME because you wont be able to show at all that UK has gotten worse every year Tubby has been here because it is not true...

Once again you have not answered what I asked. Earlier in this thread you claimed that UK has gotten worse every year Tubby has been here. Then after I said something, you changed it to UK has gotten worse every year since Pitinos players were all gone. Then I showed you that was not true. So Im still waiting for you to show me where the program has gotten worse every year since Tubby has been here, and I got a feeling I will be waiting a VERY LONG TIME because you wont be able to show at all that UK has gotten worse every year Tubby has been here because it is not true...

How about the program is in a lot worse shape now than when Tubby took over. Does that make you feel better? :rolleyes:

How about the program is in a lot worse shape now than when Tubby took over. Does that make you feel better? :rolleyes:

That is a little better. But you also tell me this what coach do you think in the country wouldn't have the program a little lower than what it was at. Because what it was at that time was the highest any program had been since the great UCLA run. So once Pitino left, no matter who came in there was only one way for the program to go and that was down some what. And well like it or not but Tubby has done a good job for the most part at keeping us as one of the elite schools. Yeah Tubby definitely has to be more consistent in his recruiting because the Senior and Sophomore classes of this year, are pretty much a joke except for Perry. And if he keeps bringing in classes like that I will be right with everyone. But I dont believe he will, and this program starting this year will do great things again...

That is a little better. But you also tell me this what coach do you think in the country wouldn't have the program a little lower than what it was at. Because what it was at that time was the highest any program had been since the great UCLA run. So once Pitino left, no matter who came in there was only one way for the program to go and that was down some what. And well like it or not but Tubby has done a good job for the most part at keeping us as one of the elite schools. Yeah Tubby definitely has to be more consistent in his recruiting because the Senior and Sophomore classes of this year, are pretty much a joke except for Perry. And if he keeps bringing in classes like that I will be right with everyone. But I dont believe he will, and this program starting this year will do great things again...

I wish this were true...Either you or I are way off base about this team. I hope it's not you...:thumb:

I'm all ears.

As I stated in the earlier post. No need to explain my opnion. You stated your's and I mine. It is obvisious that we disagree. UK basketball is not as dreadful as you would have others believe. Would you like to have someone with the character of ES at the helm. Kentucky basketball is still considered one of the top programs in the country by many people associated with college basketball and OTS has done everything possible to keep it there.

:thumb: :thumb: Good post and observatons fc.;)

Would you like to have someone with the character of ES at the helm.

I don't think that ES could be at the helm or drive th UK wagon anymore:eek: Didn't he lose his drivers licsense along with B. Huggins?:D I head they have opened up a new business and are calling "Bob and Ed's Bar and Grill".:lol: :lol: - the local AA chapter holds their meetings across the street.:D (just having some fun on a boring night now, I couldn't resist.)