Tubby = Coker...thoughts?

RockPride

.733 winning %. compare that to the others who have coached at UK.

billyrayjoebob blew your theory out of the water with his post of past coach's winning percentage. But regardless, it's easy to win when you schedule a bunch of high school teams. I posted in the thread about who UK's next coach would be, and it was embarrasing the teams that we've played the past 2 years and then to have UK fans talk about what a great winning % Tubby has. It's ridiculous. Last year they lost to North Carolina, Indiana by 26, and Kansas by 27. Then they somehow beat a bad Louisville team and barely avoided being beat by probably our 4 biggest rivals.

But his .733 % is nice and he can boast about that while setting at home after the first weekend of the tournament, since they have trouble with the second or third round.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The difference between Coker and Tubby is Coker has lost control of his team. Miami is in the news negatively all the time.

Coker, like Tubby, is a good person it seems. But Tubby hasn't let UK drop no where near as far as Miami is right now.

I thought losing control of the team was part of the problem last year???

:thumb: :lol: And.....as for a flag being thrown late costing the NC, Imo if a pass interferrance would had been called earlier in the game against Miami the game would had never been in O.T., Ohio State would have won in regulation. I know that this is a thread about Tubby and Coker but since it was brought up......:D

I just freakin love when people bring this crap up! The trophy is in Columbus, Ohio. Get over it!

I believe Oldrambler is referencing the attached photo.

OH-IO!

Lets talk about holding #1.jpg

This is a dead horse, that I'm not going to beat again.....BUT

Unless UK wins the National Championship EVERY year, some "UK Fans" will not or never be happy, with that season. If anyone wants, please go back and add the win totals for the last 3 seasons, see who is in the top 5 and tell me when was the last time, a team repeated as National Champion in the last 10 years.....anyone?

No not a championship not every year but a final 4 every 4-10 years would be ok

billyrayjoebob blew your theory out of the water with his post of past coach's winning percentage. But regardless, it's easy to win when you schedule a bunch of high school teams. I posted in the thread about who UK's next coach would be, and it was embarrasing the teams that we've played the past 2 years and then to have UK fans talk about what a great winning % Tubby has. It's ridiculous. Last year they lost to North Carolina, Indiana by 26, and Kansas by 27. Then they somehow beat a bad Louisville team and barely avoided being beat by probably our 4 biggest rivals.

But his .733 % is nice and he can boast about that while setting at home after the first weekend of the tournament, since they have trouble with the second or third round.

:sleep: It is not my theory pal!!! Tell your sob story to one of your Tubby bashers. I don't jump off and on of the UK bandwagon. regardless of what they do or don't do they get my support. How many games have you attended the last few years? I miss very few. If you guys do not like UK or OTS don't follow the program,it is that simple. Your opinion is accepted just don't try and shove it down the throat of others who support the program through thick & thin.:walk:

If you are in the mood to compare....do not leave out the school record final four drought, that they are currently right smack in the middle of.

I am in the mood for anything except when someone from the other school in Kentucky tries to stir the pot. When a Louisville fan tries to elaborate on The University Of Kentucky, I normally don't take it to serious. :sleep: I understand though, UL is in a little slide of their own so bringing up UK diverts the attention to others.

:sleep: It is not my theory pal!!! Tell your sob story to one of your Tubby bashers. I don't jump off and on of the UK bandwagon. regardless of what they do or don't do they get my support. How many games have you attended the last few years? I miss very few. If you guys do not like UK or OTS don't follow the program,it is that simple. Your opinion is accepted just don't try and shove it down the throat of others who support the program through thick & thin.:walk:

It is your theory when you try to say that Tubby's winning % is better than the past coaches we've had. Since the facts show otherwise, it has to be a theory. As far as you attending all the games, hooray for you!!! So what you're saying is that if I lived in Texas, I couldn't be a fan because I don't go to the games? That's stupid. And I don't hate UK. I don't like Tubby. Plain and simple. What has he done in the last 8 years? And don't give me that awesome winning %. If that makes you happy and you don't have a problem with a terrible tourny showing, then I guess that makes you and Tubby exactly the same. Anybody can have a high number of wins during the season and get bounced in the second or third round every year. Tubby has simply perfected it.

I don't jump off and on of the UK bandwagon. regardless of what they do or don't do they get my support....If you guys do not like UK or OTS don't follow the program,it is that simple. Your opinion is accepted just don't try and shove it down the throat of others who support the program through thick & thin.:walk:

I don't think anyone is off the UK bandwagon. I think they're off the Tubby bandwagon.

I'm as fervent a UK fan as there is, but you have to start questioning Tubby at this point. That being said, no matter who is coaching UK, I'll pull for them, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with the results.

FYI: Tubby is averaging just in between the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 during his tenure. It works out to around 13th place. To me as a UK fan, thats a few spots too low over a 9 year period, but not as bad as some folks make it out to be.

Over the same period:

Duke is averaging just past the Elite 8. (~8th place)

UNC is averaging 2/3s of the way to the Sweet 16 (~22nd place)

UCLA is averaging barely out of the second round (~30th place)

Titles:

UK - 1 (1998)

UNC - 1 (2005)

Duke - 1 (2001)

UCLA - 0

Championship games:

UK - 1

UNC - 1

Duke - 2

UCLA - 1

Final Fours:

UK - 1

UNC - 3

Duke - 3

UCLA - 1

Elite 8s:

UK - 4

UNC - 3

Duke - 4

UCLA - 1

Opening Round Losses:

UK - 0

UNC - 1

Duke - 0

UCLA - 1

Failed to make the Dance:

UK - 0

UNC - 2

Duke - 0

UCLA - 3

Also keep in mind that UNC and UCLA both fired coaches during this period.

It is your theory when you try to say that Tubby's winning % is better than the past coaches we've had. Since the facts show otherwise, it has to be a theory. As far as you attending all the games, hooray for you!!! So what you're saying is that if I lived in Texas, I couldn't be a fan because I don't go to the games? That's stupid. And I don't hate UK. I don't like Tubby. Plain and simple. What has he done in the last 8 years? And don't give me that awesome winning %. If that makes you happy and you don't have a problem with a terrible tourny showing, then I guess that makes you and Tubby exactly the same. Anybody can have a high number of wins during the season and get bounced in the second or third round every year. Tubby has simply perfected it.

You are incorrect. I never said the winning % was better. I only posted what it was. It is not as bad as you wanted others to believe. You also do not have to explain to others that you are a Tubby hater!!! It is obvisious by reading your post. Your only giving the UK program a hard time due to your dislike for OTS nothing more, nothing less and everyone who has read these post can figure it out!!! As for Tubby & I being alike, I appreciate that very much. Tubby is a great man of character and to be included in his company is a positive however, this thread is not about me or you so I will just refrain from the personal attacks. I close my posting by saying that calling someone's post or opinion stupid shows what you are all about. As Forrest Gump once said, "Stupid is as Stupid Does"!!!!! Like I stated before, if people do not like the UK program find another one to follow, it will allow others who don't jump on and off the band wagon to enjoy it more often.

Go Big Blue. Uk FAN Always!!!:thumb:

^I agree with you as far as not being off the UK bandwagon. But according to some people on here, we have to like everything about UK or nothing at all.

Those are some interesting numbers that you posted. I don't know that I would go so far as to say UCLA has been a great team over the past 8 years or so. Perhaps, but I probably wouldn't say it. One stat that jumped out at me was Final Fours. UNC and Puke have 3 and UK has 1. That's pretty much what I've been talking about this whole time. That 1 was, what, 8 years ago? They're 0-7 since. If they gave championships for regular season victories, UK would be in the running every year. But they don't. Over the past 4 years, UK has lost 2 elite 8 games. But they've also lost in the 2nd round twice. So it's elite 8 or 2nd round. They've had some great players and teams in the past. Tayshaun Prince's junior or senior year, I can't remember, I expected them to at least make the FF that year with the players they had. But they didn't. I don't remember what they did, but I'm pretty sure I was very disappointed. It just seems like UK gets some good players, but Tubby can't coach them to do much. I think that's either one of two things: Tubby can't coach, or he can't recruit the kind of players that UK needs. Actually that could be both.

I don't think anyone is off the UK bandwagon. I think they're off the Tubby bandwagon.

I'm as fervent a UK fan as there is, but you have to start questioning Tubby at this point. That being said, no matter who is coaching UK, I'll pull for them, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with the results.

FYI: Tubby is averaging just in between the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 during his tenure. It works out to around 13th place. To me as a UK fan, thats a few spots too low over a 9 year period, but not as bad as some folks make it out to be.

Over the same period:

Duke is averaging just past the Elite 8. (~8th place)

UNC is averaging 2/3s of the way to the Sweet 16 (~22nd place)

UCLA is averaging barely out of the second round (~30th place)

Titles:

UK - 1 (1998)

UNC - 1 (2005)

Duke - 1 (2001)

UCLA - 0

Championship games:

UK - 1

UNC - 1

Duke - 2

UCLA - 1

Final Fours:

UK - 1

UNC - 3

Duke - 3

UCLA - 1

Elite 8s:

UK - 4

UNC - 3

Duke - 4

UCLA - 1

Opening Round Losses:

UK - 0

UNC - 1

Duke - 0

UCLA - 1

Failed to make the Dance:

UK - 0

UNC - 2

Duke - 0

UCLA - 3

Also keep in mind that UNC and UCLA both fired coaches during this period.

This might make some kind of a point if we were talking about Puke,UNC or UCLA. (I belive the subject was UK) This thread was originally started I believe to compare Tubby Smith and Larry Coker, which is kind of stupid in the first place to compare a Football and Basketball coach. If some people can't figure it out, they are two different sports and cannot be compared nor can the coaches of two different sports be compared. Whats up with that anyway:confused: :rolleyes: . I agree with a couple of posters earlier that stated that in their opinioin this was started by a UL fan to try and stir up UK fans. Nothing more, nothing less. Then a few bandwagon boys jumped on bc they have an extreme dislike for OTS, nothing more, nothing less. I am a UK fan and will support them no matter how they are doing and who is coaching them. That doesn't mean that I don't have questions and frustrations like any other fan, it only means that I refrain from bashing anyone and everyone just bc of one or two down years. I might join in on the questioning (not ridiculous bashing) of OTS "IF" this trend continues much longer and I don't think that it will. As for now, most are jumping all over UK b.b. and the coach after 5 games into this season with a very young team with untested freshman playing a key role. I will be through with this thread and what it is very obvious that it was meant to do. GO BIG BLUE!!!!:flame: