Tubby = Coker...thoughts?

RockPride

That is the difference in us right there. You say "it wasn't meant to be" and I say "do whatever it takes to make it happen." You think if Rick Pitino was our coach right now he would be saying "it just wasn't meant to be?" No way. Nothing personal at all S3, I enjoy your posts most of the time, but "just wasn't meant to be" is an excuse and cop-out, and anyone saying that is making excuses for not getting the job done - whether it be sports or whatever...

Try telling your boss "it wasn't meant to be" and you would be out the door in a hurry...

First, You obviously don't know me very well....

Second, I'm not pretending to offer input from a coaches perspective, when I'm saying "not meant to be", that is from a fan standpoint.

Third, anyone that knows me, will vouch I don't make excuses or cop-out.

Fourth, not sure of this Pitino infatuation and how he's even in this thread.

Fifth, there are several differences between us and thanks for the compliment, about enjoying my posts....:thumb:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, You obviously don't know me very well....

Second, I'm not pretending to offer input from a coaches perspective, when I'm saying "not meant to be", that is from a fan standpoint.

Third, anyone that knows me, will vouch I don't make excuses or cop-out.

Fourth, not sure of this Pitino infatuation and how he's even in this thread.

Fifth, there are several differences between us and thanks for the compliment, about enjoying my posts....:thumb:

OK, but the difference still is you say "wasn't meant to be" and I say "do whatever it takes." And yes, there are several differences between us...:thumb:

I am in the mood for anything except when someone from the other school in Kentucky tries to stir the pot. When a Louisville fan tries to elaborate on The University Of Kentucky, I normally don't take it to serious. :sleep: I understand though, UL is in a little slide of their own so bringing up UK diverts the attention to others.

They are...but that doesn't hit home with me :thumb:

OK, but the difference still is you say "wasn't meant to be" and I say "do whatever it takes." And yes, there are several differences between us...:thumb:
Another one of my favorite sayings, is there is 5 ways to watch a sporting event.

1 - Fan, Spectator (enjoyment of the game)

2 - Coach (competing to win)

3 - Ref, Umpire, Official (regulating play and rules)

4 - Player (flow of game, teammates and execution)

5 - Parent (cheering for their son)

Each will have a different perspective, view point and certain thing, they are focusing on. I've been all 5 of the above, at one time or another and I can offer differing perspectives, depending on which role I'm in.

Keep this in mind BRJB....I don't watch the game, to be disappointed, to expect disappointment and look for things to criticize....

I watch to see fundamentals, passing, dribbling, cutting, screens, dribble penetration, rebounding, boxing-out and execution, which doesn't always happen but doesn't lead me call for the coaches head, from a fans perspective....:thumb:

Another one of my favorite sayings, is there is 5 ways to watch a sporting event.

1 - Fan, Spectator (enjoyment of the game)

2 - Coach (competing to win)

3 - Ref, Umpire, Official (regulating play and rules)

4 - Player (flow of game, teammates and execution)

5 - Parent (cheering for their son)

Each will have a different perspective, view point and certain thing, they are focusing on. I've been all 5 of the above, at one time or another and I can offer differing perspectives, depending on which role I'm in.

Keep this in mind BRJB....I don't watch the game, to be disappointed, to expect disappointment and look for things to criticize....

I watch to see fundamentals, passing, dribbling, cutting, screens, dribble penetration, rebounding, boxing-out and execution , which doesn't always happen but doesn't lead me call for the coaches head, from a fans perspective....:thumb:

You are on some page out there that is very far from the one I'm on.

I don't know if you are implying that your perspective is superior to mine, but just in case I assure you it's not. UK basketball "fans" are very smart, and don't need to be taught the fundamentals, passing, dribbling, cutting, screens, dribble penetration, rebounding, boxing-out and execution...

Here's a 6th perspective you haven't thought of, or at least haven't mentioned:

6 - Graduate of UK and donor to UK athletics.

Again, these people know the basics of basketball very well and don't need a refresher course from anyone. And they are not picking at how UK passes, dribbles, etc...it's much bigger than that. They want UK to be among the elite programs in the country, simple as that. Do they expect to win it all every year? NO. Do they expect 30 wins every year? OF COURSE NOT. But what's going on now is unacceptable. Poor recruiting, bad style of ball, bad record, early exits, UF and LSU surpassing our program, smaller and smaller crowds, and on and on...You can say "it wasn't meant to be" all you like, but plenty of other people aren't letting it go so easily. Something will be done if the deficiencies in the program are not addressed and corrected in a timely manner...

I think Coach Smith needs an offensive coach. Coach Donovan didn't win the big one until he went out and got a defensive coach and Florida has had as much talent as anyone in the country for a good amount of time. Coach Smith needs a very energetic young coach that run the offense for him. Besides, some of us don't want Coach Smith to go anyplace too quick, we want a certain head coach to get a little bit of experience on the big stage so he will be ready for this job in a couple of years.......(A certain South Alabama Coach).........

I think Coach Smith needs an offensive coach. Coach Donovan didn't win the big one until he went out and got a defensive coach and Florida has had as much talent as anyone in the country for a good amount of time. Coach Smith needs a very energetic young coach that run the offense for him....
Excellent point and perhaps the focus on defense, needs to be on the offensive end also.

Figured that you might agree on the South Alabama Coach also strike3.
I would but often hard, for a former alumnus to return to the program he played for, than attempt to coach at.

John has been a popular figure at UK and very well received over the years, but several would turn quickly, during that first losing streak or times when they would struggle.

I would but often hard, for a former alumnus to return to the program he played for, than attempt to coach at.

John has been a popular figure at UK and very well received over the years, but several would turn quickly, during that first losing streak or times when they would struggle.

Agreed on turning quickly but John does know what it really means to wear Kentucky across his chest and I think that could be a big difference. I think Travis Ford has a chance to be in the mix when Tubby decides enough is enough if he shows that he can do good things with UMass.

Agreed on turning quickly but John does know what it really means to wear Kentucky across his chest and I think that could be a big difference. I think Travis Ford has a chance to be in the mix when Tubby decides enough is enough if he shows that he can do good things with UMass.
I do like him, he appear to recruit well at USA and excellent point, on knowing what it takes/feels to wear UK across your chest. I'm not knocking Coach Smith, but often former players are more passionate about their own school.

From an email I received from Travis's father, he said UMASS has treated him wonderful and he's very happy. If the opportunity arose, I'm sure strong consideration would have to be given, to any UK basketball program coaching position.

I do like him, he appear to recruit well at USA and excellent point, on knowing what it takes/feels to wear UK across your chest. I'm not knocking Coach Smith, but often former players are more passionate about their own school.

From an email I received from Travis's father, he said UMASS has treated him wonderful and he's very happy. If the opportunity arose, I'm sure strong consideration would have to be given, to any UK basketball program coaching position.[/QUOTE]

Do you think he would be interested in an assistant's role? I wouldn't figure so or have I misunderstood what you were saying there?

Do you think he would be interested in an assistant's role? I wouldn't figure so or have I misunderstood what you were saying there?
Unless forced out and not many other schools would offer, I think Ford would stay at UMASS.

Unless the prospect of taking over the program were discussed, with him arriving on board as an assistant until that time arose.

Once again you have not answered what I asked. Earlier in this thread you claimed that UK has gotten worse every year Tubby has been here. Then after I said something, you changed it to UK has gotten worse every year since Pitinos players were all gone. Then I showed you that was not true. So Im still waiting for you to show me where the program has gotten worse every year since Tubby has been here, and I got a feeling I will be waiting a VERY LONG TIME because you wont be able to show at all that UK has gotten worse every year Tubby has been here because it is not true...

Um Trips to the Final Four???? The program is definately falling I beileve. These recruits that Tubby get in are not "UK Basketball Players" And your statement about "other then Bobby Perry"???? Perry had 2 solid games in the tournament last year now he thinks hes a scorer! I questoin that.