Was the 2019 Kentucky Derby disqualification the biggest in sports history?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attaching a picture that clearly shows Maximum Security coming over and impeding War of Will almost causing him to go down.

I honestly thought that because of the magnitude of the DQ, and that Maximum Security was the best horse on the sloppy track in this race, that they would make it official and give Luis Saez "days" for a careless ride, despite the fact that it probably wasn't his fault. That would have appeased the masses.

I feel bad for the connections. Gary and Mary West are longtime supporters of the sport.

MaximumSecurityDQ-19.jpg

The head of War of Will is shown to the left of Saez's head, and his hindquarters are shown to the right side of Maximum Security. There is a good chance Saez wasn't even aware of what was going on behind him.

By rule the stewards made the right call.

Where do you draw the line? If there is no DQ then the Derby becomes the wild, wild, west where anything goes, and then someday a massive spill takes place and someone gets seriously hurt, or worse.

Attaching a picture that clearly shows Maximum Security coming over and impeding War of Will almost causing him to go down.

I honestly thought that because of the magnitude of the DQ, and that Maximum Security was the best horse on the sloppy track in this race, that they would make it official and give Luis Saez "days" for a careless ride, despite the fact that it probably wasn't his fault. That would have appeased the masses.

I feel bad for the connections. Gary and Mary West are longtime supporters of the sport.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68391[/ATTACH]

The head of War of Will is shown to the left of Saez's head, and his hindquarters are shown to the right side of Maximum Security. There is a good chance Saez wasn't even aware of what was going on behind him.

By rule the stewards made the right call.

Where do you draw the line? If there is no DQ then the Derby becomes the wild, wild, west where anything goes, and then someday a massive spill takes place and someone gets seriously hurt, or worse.

Agree on all counts. I don’t want horse racing to become NASCAR, where rubbin’ and racin’ is the norm.

Horse racing isn’t popular enough for it to be the biggest in sports history.

I dunno...my wife spent a year doing research work in Wales. She had invitations to multiple parties to watch each of the Triple Crown races, as well as the King George Stakes. When she asked if anyone wanted to watch the NCAA tournament, there weren't any takers, and she wasn't able to find any bars in Cardiff that even showed the Louisville game in the NCAA tournament.

I dunno...my wife spent a year doing research work in Wales. She had invitations to multiple parties to watch each of the Triple Crown races, as well as the King George Stakes. When she asked if anyone wanted to watch the NCAA tournament, there weren't any takers, and she wasn't able to find any bars in Cardiff that even showed the Louisville game in the NCAA tournament.

Horse racing is irrelevant to the general public 362 days a year. Sometimes more.

Horse racing is irrelevant to the general public 362 days a year. Sometimes more.

Depends on the person, entirely. I grew up in a house where we talked about horse racing an awful lot, just because my grandpa had loved horse racing from his days of walking to the Latonia Race Track and watching horses in the stables as a kid, and then my dad always has had a penchant for it. Never discussed basketball at all...ever. Never discussed golf either, or cycling.

Do I think the average person in the US pays attention to horse racing? No. But I still think there are plenty of them. Worldwide, though, I think there are lot more people who are familiar with horse racing than the average person in the US realizes.

Depends on the person, entirely. I grew up in a house where we talked about horse racing an awful lot, just because my grandpa had loved horse racing from his days of walking to the Latonia Race Track and watching horses in the stables as a kid, and then my dad always has had a penchant for it. Never discussed basketball at all...ever. Never discussed golf either, or cycling.

Do I think the average person in the US pays attention to horse racing? No. But I still think there are plenty of them. Worldwide, though, I think there are lot more people who are familiar with horse racing than the average person in the US realizes.

What percentage of people in the world do you think have more than a casual (meaning caring about the Triple Crown races and a couple a handful of others) interest in horse racing?