What is your criteria....

diggerphelps

Based on the argument at hand, it means ND isn't that big of a win for USC. People talk about the Pac 10 as deeper than the Big 11. I don't buy it...

And I dont by the Big 11 being any deeper than the Pac 10...As I said though USC is the only team IMO that has any argument to be in over UM, and IMO if they win out I think they should be because of what they have done.

Personally though I think they should change things right now and just do this. Have the winner of the SEC Championship play OSU in the Rose Bowl, then have the winner of USC vs. ND play UM in one of the other bowls. And then have the two winners play the next week for the National Championship. I know this wont happen, but it should would make things atleast A LITTLE bit less complicated...:D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Florida and Kentucky turn out to be the two best teams in college basketball this season, and Florida wins the SEC regular and postseason titles, Kentucky doesn't deserve a chance to play them in the National Title game? Can't wait for these responses.

Apples and oranges, basketball has the good sense to settle it on the court. A playoff is the only solution, but we all know that. If Basketball was settled like football it would be DUKE (media darling) vs Gonzaga (great record vs little opposition) or some other newcomer every year. With everyone else playing meaningless games. How many of the past 15 NCAA b-ball champs ended the year ranked 1-2 maybe 3 or 4. If football had a playoff of at least 8 teams I would guess that in a 20 year period every seed would win at least one Championship. :ylsuper:

It doesn't make any difference who plays in the Championship game against Ohio State that team is going to fall. JMO.

I think the 2 best teams are in the Big Ten with OSU and Mich, and regardless if they are in the same conference they should play each other if they win out. Just another one of my opinions.

I thought it was about getting the best teams in the Championship game not the best teams from the top 2 conferences. This coming from an SEC fan.

Apples and oranges, basketball has the good sense to settle it on the court. A playoff is the only solution, but we all know that. If Basketball was settled like football it would be DUKE (media darling) vs Gonzaga (great record vs little opposition) or some other newcomer every year. With everyone else playing meaningless games. How many of the past 15 NCAA b-ball champs ended the year ranked 1-2 maybe 3 or 4. If football had a playoff of at least 8 teams I would guess that in a 20 year period every seed would win at least one Championship. :ylsuper:

So you don't want the two best teams playing in the title game for football?

Also, Illinois and North Carolina come to mind in basketball...:sssh:

So if Florida and Kentucky turn out to be the two best teams in college basketball this season, and Florida wins the SEC regular and postseason titles, Kentucky doesn't deserve a chance to play them in the National Title game? Can't wait for these responses.

But basketball at least has a tourney to determine the champion. We can only hope that this year's BCS race for #2 is so tight that it sparks an even more heated debate on this issue. One more game (a top 4 tourney) would at least be a step in the right direction.

True, but not if USC wins out as well, because then Arkansas would have no chance to get in since USC whopped them. Just like our Irish have just about no chance now...

Plus USC's SOS was stronger than Arkansas' this season if I remember the last SOS I saw. I think they were #2.

Houston Nutt has to be kicking himself for trying to be a passing team in that game instead of just feeding McFadden. They changed strategies after that game and have been much better.

UM may well be #2, but not allowing the Pac10/SEC/BEast/ACC a chance to prove themselves is ridiculous.

Everyone THINKS that OSU and UM are the two best, but having them play again proves nothing.

Give Florida/Arkansas/Rutgers/USC/ND/BSU a chance to prove that OSU isn't all they're cracked up to be. If OSU puts a beat down on them, then OSU and UM should be ranked 1 and 2 in the final polls.

You have to allow the possibility that another team (especially USC/Florida/Arkansas since UM beat ND and OSU beat Texas) COULD be better. By REPLAYING a game thats ALREADY BEEN PLAYED, nothing is learned.

UM/OSU aren't going to change dramatically between now and the title game. Arkansas HAS changed dramatically since their only loss.

IMO, Arkansas (should they win out) deserves a shot more than anyone. They lost their opener to the #2/3 team in the land and have improved dramatically since.

UM had their chances and was given the chances by Ohio State. I am a fan of neither but think in a rematch, unless Ohio State self destructs as they did on Saturday, this game is not close.

Ohio State made more big plays in Michigan's behalf than Michigan did. They don't fumble twice on snaps and don't have a huge penalty to sustain the last drive and OSU wins by over two TD's.

So you don't want the two best teams playing in the title game for football?

Also, Illinois and North Carolina come to mind in basketball...:sssh:

No, I absolutely want the two best teams, what I am saying is that the current system does not ensure that it happens unless two teams from major conferences go undefeated with no other zero loss teams. An argument:argue: can be made for or against any of the one loss teams that are left. if USC wins out are they a dead lock? if so then Notre Dame would have to be if they beat USC, but didn't they loose their chance when the Wolverines spanked them in South Bend. Gators win out they deserve shot, but they lost to an Auburn team with two losses including a spanking by Arkansas. How about the hogs, well if they win out against LSU and Florida they will have played and beat more ranked teams, but they still have that @$$ whoopin they took from USC at home to start the season. Louisville, how about them? Beat by Rutgers who were then beat by the Bearcats. WVU....spanked hard by The Ville.

An argument can be made for or against anyone depending on your point of view/ rooting interest. Stop the season now give OSU the Crystal Football. I am NOT an Buckeye fan and I hate to say it but they are the best. If they play anyone it should be Michigan.