Kentucky 57 Miami OH 46

romeo 4 president

My opinion is that UK and UL are, have been, and always will be,,,,apples and oranges. It is also my opinion that if Pitino had stayed that UK would still be on par with Duke. It would have drawn interest from the best players every year, without exception. But that's just my humble take!
I like Pitino's coaching style and always have but I also realize, he gets the same chance at UL, that he would at UK as for talent....if there still apples and oranges as you say, than Pitino's not getting the best.

Often fans forget, the players who leave early....create voids in talent, that bringing in a Freshman class can't fill. How would have last years team, done if Azibuke stayed. How would Rondo, help this team ball handling and defensively....role players, are now getting more time.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Pitino's coaching style and always have but I also realize, he gets the same chance at UL, that he would at UK as for talent....if there still apples and oranges as you say, than Pitino's not getting the best.

I suppose we will disagree on that point.

We were 1-10, we are 10-20-, will will be what 20-30?
Some people have different measuring sticks. If just Final Four appearances was the only measuring stick of a team, UK would suck the past 8 years... as would about 300 other Division 1 programs.

Last season was not good, and another one would not be tolerated, imo.

My measuring stick: If your team is always one of the top 20 teams; which means you have a legit shot at a Final Four, imo. Just looking at the seeds (someone correct me if I am wrong) but since Smith has been here, the seeds going into the tourny were 2,3,5,4,2,1,1,2,8... what is that, about an average of a 3 seed. I would like to see how many teams have that or better. Consistently, UK is still one of the best.

Maybe my system or way of thinking is flawed though :lol:

You said, if he stayed at UK, they would be on par with Duke, implying Pitino could recruit the players to have them their.

He's at UL, recruiting players and UL is not near Duke....

If he had stayed at UK, he would have won the Tubby championship, kept on recruiting as he did, NY kids, etc. and there would have been no lull in talent. All things equal, I'd choose UK if I were a recruit.

You can't be so sure of that. UK had a lot of talent while he was there and as long as they were winning players kept coming in. Recently we have had recruting troubles. I'm not saying we would still be a 10 rated team but we wouldn't be getting beat out in the second round if we had Pitino and kept the pace we were on. 96 champs, 97 runners up, if Pitino stayed and same result then 98 champs. Why couldn't we keep that up seems like UCLA did it for a while?

And you cant be so sure that it would have been. It would have been impossible for Pitino or anyone to keep up with the pace we were on. You bring up UCLA but things were so much different back then. The three year run we had is something that no one will probably see in college basketball again for a long time if EVER. So there was only one way to go from the very top of things.

Also I know Pitino was very good at bring in these great players, but you all also have to realize that things in recruiting have changed since then also. Some of the players he were getting on those teams might have left to the NBA from high school, but that stuff really wasn't happening much back then yet. Then also they put in the schlarship limitation on how many people you can get in 2 years, and that affected things for awhile. So yeah when I say that Pitino couldn't keep up with that pace he set, it is pretty much true because it would have been just impossible. Also look at Duke they always get the so called great players every year, but what have they done lately in the tournaments? College basketball has changed alot since that great run, and we probably would have had years that even with Pitino where we did get knocked out in the second round and sweet 16 just like Duke has...

If he had stayed at UK, he would have won the Tubby championship, kept on recruiting as he did, NY kids, etc. and there would have been no lull in talent. All things equal, I'd choose UK if I were a recruit.
He didn't stay, left and now is at UL....he gets the same chance to bring in those difference makers but if UL and UK, are apples and oranges....than Pitino is not getting them.

Have I mentioned, that was the first game....I can't believe, I'm still going on and on, after game one about this team. I'll leave this thread alone and let the naysayers exist....

Look forward to tomorrows game and hope each game, UK improves.

How do you know at all that he would have won the title in 98. That team in 98 was not even close to being the most talented team in the country, and there is no reason at all to believe that Pitino would have got that team to win it all like Tubby did....

My opinion is that UK and UL are, have been, and always will be,,,,apples and oranges. It is also my opinion that if Pitino had stayed that UK would still be on par with Duke. It would have drawn interest from the best players every year, without exception. But that's just my humble take!

So if we had Pitino and was on par with Duke. Then we still would be right where we are right now, and that is getting knocked out of the tournament before the final four, because Duke hasn't done anything in the tournament as of late...

So if we had Pitino and was on par with Duke. Then we still would be right where we are right now, and that is getting knocked out of the tournament before the final four, because Duke hasn't done anything in the tournament as of late...

Spin doesn't let facts stand in the way of a good opinion... :lol: