Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regional dialects

Featured Replies

I just asked someone what time our meeting was and they said "ten of twelve." What does that mean?

Ten of twelve, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero 712.

 

They are a Borg.

I could be wrong, but I think what you are asking about is a colloquialism. A dialect would be how words are pronounced.

 

For example, oil, boil, and soil.

 

A northerner would pronounce them oy-el, boy-el, and soy-el, where a southerner would typically pronounce the same words all, ball, and sall.

 

Like that.

I would have no idea what time that is, either.

Obviously 11:50.

I just asked someone what time our meeting was and they said "ten of twelve." What does that mean?

 

Like @mcpapa, this means 11:50. I've always heard time told in this manner, or in ways similar to this. I've also heard it expressed "10 til 12". I know mcpapa and I are from roughly the same part of the country, but I didn't think this was just a regional expression.

  • Author
I could be wrong, but I think what you are asking about is a colloquialism. A dialect would be how words are pronounced.

 

For example, oil, boil, and soil.

 

A northerner would pronounce them oy-el, boy-el, and soy-el, where a southerner would typically pronounce the same words all, ball, and sall.

 

Like that.

 

Wouldn’t that be an accent?

I’ve heard it called, “Ten to twelve”. Same as 11:50.

Wouldn’t that be an accent?

 

I dated a girl, back in the day, who was a linguist and she told me one time, when I asked the same question, "You cannot speak English with and English accent. You can speak English with a Spanish accent, though." She was British and said the terms are interchangeable these days.

 

Either way, what you are wanting is a phrase used in a particular region or area. That is a colloquialism.

 

Now, students, please get out your grammar books and turn to page 47. :banana:

Anyway, since I must be serious.....

 

My Father used the term all of the time. I use it as well and have always known it to mean 10 minutes until 12 o'clock or Noon. 10 of Noon.

FWIW, I am constantly explaining what I mean when I ask, "Was it any count?"

It means exactly the opposite of what it looks like it means, which it why I hate it. It means 11:50. It has some arcane reasoning behind it I suspect, but it's nonsensical as far as I'm concerned.

And in case it still isn't clear, "12 of 10" would be 9:48.

I grew up hearing the phrases "quarter after", "quarter til" and "half past" all the time. I'm wondering, though, if those are fading from use due to the lack of dial watch/clock faces. Everything now is digital.

I grew up hearing the phrases "quarter after", "quarter til" and "half past" all the time. I'm wondering, though, if those are fading from use due to the lack of dial watch/clock faces. Everything now is digital.

 

Speaking of the lack of watch/clock faces, in a few years will young people know what is meant by "clockwise" or "counter-clockwise"?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.