2018 Gardner Law King of the Bluegrass

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sixteen spots, four are to out of state and one to Fairdale that leaves 11.

Teams that are probably in for sure.

Ballard

Trinity

Fern Creek

That leaves 8 spots, teams worthy of consideration. I am going to say Waggener and Butler possibly get in as well then a mix of the teams below outside of the Louisville regions.

Region 1 - Paducah Tilghman, McCracken County

Region 2 - University Heights, Madisonville North Hopkins

Region 3 - None

Region 4 - None

Region 5 - LaRue County, Adair County (If Harmon returns)

Region 8 - Collins, Walton Verona

Region 9 - Covington Catholic

Region 10 - Clark County, Pendleton County (If Allen stays)

Region 11 - Madison Central, Scott County, Lexington Christian

Region 12 - None

Region 13 - South Laurel

Region 14 - None

Region 15 - Sheldon Clark

Region 16 - None

If I was predicting the field

1.) Out of State

2.) Out of State

3.) Out of State

4.) Out of State

5.) Fairdale

6.) Trinity

7.) Ballard

8.) Fern Creek

9.) Waggener

10.) Madison Central

11.) University Heights

12.) Lexington Christian

13.) Walton Verona

14.) Collins

15.) Covington Catholic

16.) Pendleton County

In 8th Region--I would say Spencer County and Collins. Based on who is returning and what teams are losing these would be the top two teams. I'm hearing of a transfer that is more than likely coming to Spencer County that would make them the 8th region favorite.

Only team from 1st region that would warrant consideration would be Mayfield. They bring back everything but one player.

Mayfield is a good one, I forgot them.

K.O.B. isn't necessarily going to invite the best team everytime, they are going to invite the star player as well, which is a lot on the best team but not always.

Mayfield has both, stars and very good team.

I would think out of the 6th and 7th Regions, Ballard, Trinity and possibly Male. Waggener and Seneca will be very good but I believe there is some history between Waggener and Fairdale that will prevent them from being invited. Top teams in the Sixth region might just be Jtown and Butler. Fern Creek had 12 seniors on this years team. They have three very good sophomores to be in Rogers, Franklin and Washington. I don't believe they will be a front runner for the region this year.

I also believe Larue County is a team that should be looked at. They are huge and have a lot of talented kids returning.

Assuming 11 spots for in-state teams, must offers include:

Scott Co (tell Billy how often the state champ plays in the KOB).

Trinity

University Heights

Others I would include:

Mayfield

LaRue Co

Waggener

Male

Ballard

Pendleton Co

Covington Catholic

Adair (if it seems likely Harmon is there next year).

Assuming 11 spots for in-state teams, must offers include:

Scott Co (tell Billy how often the state champ plays in the KOB).

Trinity

University Heights

Others I would include:

Mayfield

LaRue Co

Waggener

Male

Ballard

Pendleton Co

Covington Catholic

Adair (if it seems likely Harmon is there next year).

I ignored the why.

Trinity and Scott Co are easily the top 2 teams in the state as of now, and have 2 of the top 3 or 4 players.

Western Ky (Regions 1-5):

University Heights should be really good and has the highest profile player in the state.

Mayfield returns almost everyone from a top 25 team. They have a pair of really good scorers in the Guthries.

LaRue Co had a great year this year and returns most of their team including some very good Sophomores and Juniors to be.

Adair Co if Harmon is there

Louisville:

Ballard: I have no idea how good they will be, but I always assume they'll be good, and I would want to keep them in this event every year.

Male has some very good young talent. I think they'll be solid moving forward.

Waggener I also expect will be pretty good next year, though I'd research them a little more before committing.

Central/Northern Ky (Regions 8-12)

Covington Catholic I expect will still be a very good team despite their losses.

Pendleton Co has an elite player in Allen who is worth showing off to the rest of the state.

LCA has a potential first team all-stater in Rode. They lose two very good players, but should once again be a very good team.

Eastern Ky (13-16)

I can't think of anyone.

In 8th Region--I would say Spencer County and Collins. Based on who is returning and what teams are losing these would be the top two teams. I'm hearing of a transfer that is more than likely coming to Spencer County that would make them the 8th region favorite.

If you're talking about the kid from Ohio, he is not playing basketball from what I've heard.

In 37 years:

19 Kentucky schools have participated in the King of the Bluegrass and won the State Championship in the same school year...only 3 of those 19 won the KOB and the State Championship in the same year. 1989-90 Fairdale - 1993-94 Fairdale - 1996-97 Eastern.

22 Out-of state teams have participated in the KOB and won the State Championship in the same year...8 won both.

13 Kentucky schools have been State runner-up.

I would think out of the 6th and 7th Regions, Ballard, Trinity and possibly Male. Waggener and Seneca will be very good but I believe there is some history between Waggener and Fairdale that will prevent them from being invited. Top teams in the Sixth region might just be Jtown and Butler. Fern Creek had 12 seniors on this years team. They have three very good sophomores to be in Rogers, Franklin and Washington. I don't believe they will be a front runner for the region this year.

I also believe Larue County is a team that should be looked at. They are huge and have a lot of talented kids returning.

I know people are gonna jump on the Larue train and fairly so; they played very well down the stretch this past season. But they are losing the PG King, and he by far was the most talented player on the team. They have huge physical bodies; but they don't necessarily have a high bball skill set. They are great kids and they play very hard; but without King stirring the drink, I don't think they will be as good as they will be projected.

From the 10th Region, Scott High returns 4 starters from last years Region runner up team and still has guys who played and started on the Region champion and State Semifinal team from 2017.

Didn't Pouncy and Perrin, who were seniors, both start? Just a question.