Hazard 15 Pikeville 14

Heard the ending of this on WSGS (101.1 freakin' comes in under water!) on the way up to Richmond to refill the liquor cabinet. The announcers — whose names I know not but I always love to listen to because of how excited they get, even when it's not Hazard games — were bouncing off the walls in the press box with excitement. Fun to listen to. They were very shocked that Hazard won the game; that was very obvious to me.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Hazard, they came out fired up. To the Panthers Seniors good luck in the future and remember that tradition never graduates. To the underclassmen get back in the weight room and whenever youre tired and dont feel like you can do another rep, just remember this feeling, cause believe me this hurts worse.

Congrats to Coach Dixon through tough week, and coach Fugate.

I do not think this was as big an upset as people say it is, sure they beat Hazard 42-6 the first time but Hazard turned the ball over 7 times to once last night and the last game p-ville was coming off a close win over Jenkins and seemed like they had something to prove the first hazard game.

One reason you could call it an upset is because of Hazard is so young, besides WR Hoskins(great kid) he is the only senior skill player. Qb-Olinger, Wr/Tb-Campbell, Wr-Kidd, Wr/Tb-Adams are all sophmores, Fb-Blanton(great hitter) and Te/Wr-Meehan and kicker/punter-Delpont are freshmen.

Upset or not, one of the biggest wins in Hazard football in a long time.

I have been reading this thread and I think there is a lot of unfair criticism of Coach Jackson. Yes, Pikeville should have won this game, but to be fair and honest, how can you blame everything on the coach? When you look at what Coach J has done, he has been very successful everywhere he has been. I don't really know what the deal is down in Pikeville, but personnally I do not think its a coaching issue. That town has way too many chiefs and not enough indians in that school system. A coach must be allowed to run the program, give him a reasonable amount of time i.e. 5 years, then evaluate the progress or lack thereof.

I have to hand it to BRJB, he said that it would be impossible for Somerset to come to Pikeville and win the region and he was correct!:cool:

I said almost impossible. It's way uncool to rub in other teams' tough losses, and ESPECIALLY if your team had nothing to do with it. But if you are going to do it, the least you could do is get your facts straight. :thumb:

I have been reading this thread and I think there is a lot of unfair criticism of Coach Jackson. Yes, Pikeville should have won this game, but to be fair and honest, how can you blame everything on the coach? When you look at what Coach J has done, he has been very successful everywhere he has been. I don't really know what the deal is down in Pikeville, but personnally I do not think its a coaching issue. That town has way too many chiefs and not enough indians in that school system. A coach must be allowed to run the program, give him a reasonable amount of time i.e. 5 years, then evaluate the progress or lack thereof.

I think you really don't know what the deal is.

First of all, no one is being hard on Jackson, much less giving any opinion on whether he should go, etc. Everyone seems to really like him, and he has total freedom to run his program as he sees fit as far as I know. All that was brought up is that the Hazard coaching staff did a better job last night, and what the bottom line is record-wise. WYMT said last night that Pikeville had been to the regional championship game 16 of the last 20 years before last night. So it was 16-19 years before Jackson and 0-2 under him. Pikeville also won the region the year before he came, so that is still fresh in people's minds. There is a ton of talent at Pikeville right now and some people are disappointed. But I'm sure no one wants the coach to leave, and rightly so...

Pikeville's time is coming, just a little later than some people (me included) hoped for...

Ill say this something is wrong this team was as talented and good as any team Belfry played including NCC and Ashland. But for some reason they could not get up for hardly any games. They are something wrong there. I dont know if it was their attitudes or what but no way should Hazard even give them a close game. Pikeville had the talent to be in the semi's and possibly a state championship they are no excuses for a round 2 exit plain and simple.

I think you really don't know what the deal is.

First of all, no one is being hard on Jackson, much less giving any opinion on whether he should go, etc. Everyone seems to really like him, and he has total freedom to run his program as he sees fit as far as I know. All that was brought up is that the Hazard coaching staff did a better job last night, and what the bottom line is record-wise. WYMT said last night that Pikeville had been to the regional championship game 16 of the last 20 years before last night. So it was 16-19 years before Jackson and 0-2 under him. Pikeville also won the region the year before he came, so that is still fresh in people's minds. There is a ton of talent at Pikeville right now and some people are disappointed. But I'm sure no one wants the coach to leave, and rightly so...

Pikeville's time is coming, just a little later than some people (me included) hoped for...

You bring up some interesting points, I think you are right in the sense that they are a little on the young side, I think that probably impacted the outcome of the game more than anything, maturity has a lot to do with handling big games and pressure.

I said almost impossible. It's way uncool to rub in other teams' tough losses, and ESPECIALLY if your team had nothing to do with it. But if you are going to do it, the least you could do is get your facts straight. :thumb:

We had heard it so many times in threads that didn't involve the Panthers I just wanted to point out that you were right.