South Warren 20 Covington Catholic 16 (5A State Championship)

Major congrats to SW for winning 5A. In talking to one of the CC coaches earlier in the week, he mentioned what an excellent team SW had, that Lacy was an absolute beast, the game would go down to the wire and a key turnover late could decide the winner. Very prophetic considering the fumble near the end zone - firmly believe CC comes all the way back to win it without that fumble.

CCH was 3 yards from winning the game. SW was not going to move the ball down the field after that. The defense completely shut them down in the 2nd Half.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple bullet points:

WS dominated the 1st Half.

CCH dominated the 2nd Half.

Even though CCH played one of their worst first halfs of football in a couple of years, they adjusted and were dominant in the 2nd. Would love to have seen the McGinness play for a tv.

Great season my buddies were honored AT Half so that was cool.

Conrats to SW: with all this being said, SW played a greatgame.

SW played great and dominated Covcath in the first half. Covcath turned the ball over 5 times, awarding SW very short fields resulting in 13 points, and Covcath still had opportunities to win this game. I think the officiating was bad against both teams, but these two teams played hard all day long. I do believe Covcath was the better team and made mistakes they normally do not make, but SW made more plays today. Congratulations to SW on being the 5A state champions

We may be talking about different plays. The play I am talking about happened on the opening drive and when Bush leaped forward he held the ball out and when his hand holding the ball hit the ground the ball popped out. It was clear as day on the replay at the game. This wasn’t a scrum action type of play. That was the McGinness fumble.

You are 100% correct. We were talking completely about different plays. My bad, PP92.

Rules question - how does SW get to run a play, have time come off the clock (20 seconds?), have the ball marked after the completion of the play, and then the refs announce that a timeout was called and granted?

Thought that was very peculiar, and there is no question in my mind that the time on the clock was badly bungled.

Don't know what SW has in the pipeline, but from a CCH perspective they will be darn good again next year with Mayer and Jones leading the charge. I would love both teams to meet in a "trilogy".

It will not happen next season. South Warren will take a step or two back for a year or so and then re-emerge.

SW played great and dominated Covcath in the first half. Covcath turned the ball over 5 times, awarding SW very short fields resulting in 13 points, and Covcath still had opportunities to win this game. I think the officiating was bad against both teams, but these two teams played hard all day long. I do believe Covcath was the better team and made mistakes they normally do not make, but SW made more plays today. Congratulations to SW on being the 5A state champions

Food for thought along those lines after rewatching in a more sterile environment:

Only two longer passes by SW, one with DB just let the receiver go on first drive and the TD that was shorter with run after catch and missed tackles

The deciding TD was an unforced error when QB bobbled snap and then was too late to pooch.

Spurrier was sacked, hit and hurried and force to at least two groundings, so CCH got pressure.

The one interception was CCH best punt of the day.

SW was turned away multiple times deep in CCH territory. Two of the threee score were off a fumble kickoff and the botched pooch. Yes they took advantage but the offense on a closer look wasn’t as impressive. The d-line was. Definitely hope some more big butts are in the CCH o-line pipeline LOL.

SW won it just didn’t look quite as bad the second time I watched. Not great mind you, just even closer. JMO.

• 3 weeks later...