South Warren 20 Covington Catholic 16 (5A State Championship)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent seen anyone mention the CCH quick kick that was blocked and pretty much gave SW a TD - horrible call!

Two big factors IMO that led

to the game's outcome:

1) SW's defense was spectacular, especially their D line

2) CCH's play calling was atrocious. The coach obviously was not used to playing from behind. And I saw little adjustments from H1 to H2.

I havent seen anyone mention the CCH quick kick that was blocked and pretty much gave SW a TD - horrible call!

to the game's outcome:

2) CCH's play calling was atrocious. The coach obviously was not used to playing from behind. And I saw little adjustments from H1 to H2.

I mentioned it.

:thumb:

“Last years game Spurrier threw 2 pick 6’s

One as south was headed in for a possible score before half then the second on the next drive I believe.”

No pick six last year. Not one.

Your right not pick sixes.

Fumble and interception. As well as a 3 and out to start the 3rd quarter.

to the game's outcome:

Does Eddie not call the offense?

SW lost to Cov Cath 43-7 last year in the playoffs. Do y’all think SW drastically improved, Cov Cath dropped off a lot from last year, or some combination of both?

I can't speak to South Warren improvement. However, for Cov Cath, they lost a lot from last year. In addition to 3 year starting QB AJ Mayer who went D1, they lost two way starter Kam Butler who also went D1; two way starter Malachi Pike who signed with Butler; two way starter Grant Dyer who signed with Dayton; shut down corner Adam Schneider who is playing college baseball plus a couple more key starters. Covington Catholic is not nearly as good this year as last, but when you look at their record this year and how good they are, it should tell everyone just how good CCH truly was last year. Last year they basically had a full lineup of future college athletes including almost half their starters being future D1 football players.

Is there grounding in HS?

Twice Spurrier threw it over to the sideline with no receiver within 20 yards.

One thing to note with the high school rules, unless it changed this year, there is no pocket. Therefore, in order to throw it away, there must be a receiver in the area.

Congratulations to South Warren, that defense is nails, maybe the most impressive defensive performance I’ve seen. The two best teams in the state played IMO. Congratulations to Covington Catholic on an amazing season too. Something tells me these two will be playing again.

Don't know what SW has in the pipeline, but from a CCH perspective they will be darn good again next year with Mayer and Jones leading the charge. I would love both teams to meet in a "trilogy".

Tale of two halves. Great 2nd half for CovCath with an almost comeback cut short with that fumble on 2 yard line with 3 minutes left.

Yes-SW did nothing on offense in the 2nd half. Their lone score was off a blocked punt that gave them the ball at the 10. Definitely a tale of two halves. If McGinness is blown dead inside the 5 with about 3 minutes to go (judgement call), we may be having a different conversation. That was a great highschool football game.

Well if CCH doesn’t fumble a kickoff and fumble at the end today.....

. Last years CCH wins handily again this year if they played.

No doubt-CCH was way better last year, namely because AJ was more decisive than a 10th grade QB. Jacob made some great throws in the 2nd Half and is a AJ in the making though. CCH will be back next year with ultra-talented classes waiting their turn.