South Warren 20 Covington Catholic 16 (5A State Championship)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CovCath did not look ready to play in the first half. Give credit to SW for taking it to them. It is hard to get kids to understand how good an opponent is, especially after a beat down only a year before.

CovCath came out with a sense of urgency in the 2nd half. Even after the poorly executed pooch punt cost the Colonels another 7 points and made the hole 20 points, they were still a 50/50 call at the 4 yard line away from winning the game.

Congrats to the Spartans, they are the champs this year.

The reason I didn’t pick SW to win this game is because I noticed that the only beat winless Warren Central 39-22 back in week 2. Anyone know what happened in that game? Was SW missing key players or pethaps they had a big lead and put in subs late? Before I say SW is the best in the state, I would like a little context around this game?

That game was 36-0 with 10:00 to play in second quarter. Souths offense and defense was pulled from that game at that time.

Central with their numbers kept starters in and scored against freshmen and sophomores.

South has a running clock. The score was deceiving. South could have won by whatever score they wanted to.

Rules question - how does SW get to run a play, have time come off the clock (20 seconds?), have the ball marked after the completion of the play, and then the refs announce that a timeout was called and granted?

They did put time back on the clock but it was completely confusing at that point it took them forever to decide the placement etc.

They did put time back on the clock but it was completely confusing at that point it took them forever to decide the placement etc.

They did not put time back on the clock due to the play being ran, time coming off the clock, then the down being reset to the down it was before the play was ran. They put 4 seconds back up due to South Warren calling (another) timeout at the completion of the play (that theoretically never happened) and the clock not stopping when the refs blew it dead.

SW lost to Cov Cath 43-7 last year in the playoffs. Do y’all think SW drastically improved, Cov Cath dropped off a lot from last year, or some combination of both?

Last years game Spurrier threw 2 pick 6’s

One as south was headed in for a possible score before half then the second on the next drive I believe.

Those two scores by Cov Cath killed south and changed the game. If south scores game is different but I don’t believe south had the experience/talent Cov Cath has last year.

They did not put time back on the clock due to the play being ran, time coming off the clock, then the down being reset to the down it was before the play was ran. They put 4 seconds back up due to South Warren calling (another) timeout at the completion of the play (that theoretically never happened) and the clock not stopping when the refs blew it dead.

You may be right and probably are. I was at the game and it completely confused everyone. Including the refs. It was 2nd and 8. Harrison Carries to the left for about 4 yards. They spotted the ball and granted time out.

Then they had the clock reset to 2:08 form 2:04. Then they huddled reset the down to 2nd and 8 and announced that the time out was right before the snap. I believe it was before the snap because the 25 second clock was at 1 second close to a delay.

I did not look at the game clock so not sure of the time.

Major congrats to SW for winning 5A. In talking to one of the CC coaches earlier in the week, he mentioned what an excellent team SW had, that Lacy was an absolute beast, the game would go down to the wire and a key turnover late could decide the winner. Very prophetic considering the fumble near the end zone - firmly believe CC comes all the way back to win it without that fumble.