Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johnson Central vs. Ashland - Round 2

Who will win? 132 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

As for Lex Cath & Fort Thomas (or their district #1 seed Cov Cath), we are hoping to find out at JCHS on November 24, but each of these teams has a lot of football to play between now and then.

 

It's good to see the Tomcat fans returning to this thread, and responding to their call to "Believe." :thumb: I sure hope they play their best Friday, JCHS really needs a tough, close game to prepare for these later rounds. It's OK for us to believe too, right? ;)

Sure it is ok for you to believe!! The kids deserve your support. JC has an excellent football team but I wouldn't write off the Tomcats. If any team doesn't play with focus it is anybody's ball game to win, that's why they play each week, Just ask the Georgia Bulldog's coaching staff about what happens when an underdog team comes out focused & ready to play. Good luck to both teams and I hope they represent their program with class.

  • Replies 243
  • Views 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

 

Grim doesn't play defense, and Central's defense is a pretty glaring dimension. Unless you have some new fundamentals about how the game is played, which I doubt, then you should understand that there's no need to put the ball in the air when you average 45 points on offense while your starters give up 3 on defense. Any coach that would do that is a coach trying to run the score up. No need to here. And for the life of me, I can't imagine a coach showing his entire hand when there's nothing to gain. Football 101.[/quote

 

 

All I am saying is, it is not if, but when somebody can put something together to stop Grimm, You better hope those other backs an the passing game is really intact? I got a feeling you will need it if not against Ashland, down the road! I don't recall to many teams that go very far with out a good dose of ground an air attack!

JC doesn't even need a passing game. Have you ever seen their o-line?

I doubt they'll need one Friday anyway.

 

You don't win championships with out a good passing game to go along with a good running game " balanced attack" keep the opponent honest!

You don't win championships with out a good passing game to go along with a good running game " balanced attack" keep the opponent honest!
That is the most often repeated myth posted on BGP. How much did Belfry pass enroute to its state titles? Russell? What about the Warren Central, Indiana team? Yes, you need to be able to complete an occasional pass in case the defense stacks the box against the run but you really do not need a "balanced attack" to win titles if you run or pass the ball extremely well.

 

Johnson Central haa a big quarterback with a strong arm and several capable receivers. JC has not been involved in any close games this season, so it is likely that Coach Matney and his staff have kept quite a bit of the offense under wraps, just in case it is needed. JC scored quite a few TD's by passing last season, when it was involved in more competitive games. I am sure that Coach Matney expects better teams to have some success shutting down Shawn Grimm and has Plans B and C available when that happens.

 

This time of year, it is much more important for most teams to have a great running game and strong defense than a strong passing attack. One mud bowl game in the playoffs can end the season for a team that depends too much on its passing attack. As I understand it, JC will play at home as long as they continue winning until the state title game. That means that there is a good chance that at least a game or two will be played in rain or snow.

You don't win championships with out a good passing game to go along with a good running game " balanced attack" keep the opponent honest!
That is the most often repeated myth posted on BGP. How much did Belfry pass enroute to its state titles? Russell? Yes, you need to be able to complete an occasional pass in case the defense stacks the box against the run but you really do not need a "balanced attack" to win titles if you run or pass the ball extremely well.

 

Johnson Central haa a big quarterback with a strong arm and several capable receivers. JC has not been involved in any close games this season, so it is likely that Coach Matney and his staff have kept quite a bit of the offense under wraps, just in case it is needed. JC scored quite a few TD's by passing last season, when it was involved in more competitive games. I am sure that Coach Matney expects better teams to have some success shutting down Shawn Grimm and has Plans B and C available when that happens.

 

This time of year, it is much more important for most teams to have a great running game and strong defense than a strong passing attack. One mud bowl game in the playoffs can end the season for a team that depends too much on its passing attack. As I understand it, JC will play at home as long as they continue winning until the state title game. That means that there is a good chance that at least a game or two will be played in rain or snow.

You should take one game at a time,dont you think.There is some strong teams in the state.Dont get me wrong JC is A strong team but anything can happen.

99% of Eagle fans are taking it one at a time and they know that it will be a tough battle this Friday night between the two squads.

I respect your support for your team. Do you honestly think JC could play with Trinity, X, Lex. Catholic, Ft. Thomas ?

I had a Lexington Catholic coach tell me that they couldn't play with Johnson Central this year, and I'll leave that at that.

I agree with most of this post. But what you fail to understand, like most outside of JC, is that JC is a much better team than they showed against Ashland. Grimm without a doubt is one of the greatest RB to walk to halls of JC, EVER. But in the last game, the reason you seen so much of Grimm was simply because Ashland couldnt stop him. JC has umbelievable depth all throughout its backfield. If you key Grimm to hard, both Richardson and Johnson are well able to carry the load. Behind them you have Welch and Nathan Dillon, who also when given the ball, are very hard to stop. And at the QB position, behind JK Ratliff, you have Dennis Dillon, whom has had 2 TD's the last 2 games running the ball out of a draw formation for 30+ yds and Ian Welch who is a natural RB but lines up at QB to give defenses a different look.

 

I believe Ashland can make this a respectable game, and I can guarantee you that at kickoff my heart will be beating out of my chest just as if I were on that field cause I know what Ashland can bring to the table if JC isnt ready. BUT this JC team knows what is at stake here and that losing in the 2nd round would be a dissapointing end to a memorable season that no one wants to see end here in Eagle Country. I dont know what you will see in this game, just depends on what you can stop. But I assure you, although Grimm is probably our feature back, he is not our only back.

Your not even mentioning Blake Johnson. Nobody ,particularly Ashland, has had an answer for him.

I had a Lexington Catholic coach tell me that they couldn't play with Johnson Central this year, and I'll leave that at that.

That was just becuase his mom wouldn't let him.

You don't win championships with out a good passing game to go along with a good running game " balanced attack" keep the opponent honest!

I bet that Belfry and Russell would disagree with you on that.

I'm not going to debate the PA announcer and music played at the game I personally think it's great. I agree that Grim is a special player. The O-line and blocking backs have done a tremendous job all season, but I also think that JC has two or three other backs that could run for over 100 yards a game, but if you want to believe that JC is one dimensional then please go right ahead.

 

:thumb:[/quote You said yourself 3 other backs COULD run for over a 100 yards a game?? All I am saying is prove it, all I have seen in person an game totals from the rest of the games an Grimm is the only back I could tell you his name, I do remember the fullback Johnson I think he is a good solid fullback but I doubt he would be a consistent 100 yard rusher! I understand they may all be quality backs but I doubt very seriously they are anywhere near Grimm or a 100 yard rushers? I have heard your team is anywhere from 4 to 6 deep at the back position, if they are that good why would the Coaches not use them more? I was wondering about the passing game, I keep hearing how good JC is there but have not seen any numbers to back it up? That sure does seem one dimensional to me! I know when or if you get to some of the great Northern Ky teams or perhaps a Western Ky team you will need to have some type of consistent passing game to keep them honest!

I would think that you would be more concerned with the running game of your own team rather than worrying about if Johnson Central can pass the ball or of how many 100 yard gainers they have. The best I remember the total number of yards gained by Ashlands runners combined in the first game didn't total up to 100 yards.
That was just becuase his mom wouldn't let him.

Good one.:lol:

That was just becuase his mom wouldn't let him.

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are, that's funny!!!:lol:

I respect your support for your team. Do you honestly think JC could play with Trinity, X, Lex. Catholic, Ft. Thomas ?

:thumb: :thumb: JC is very good, no doubt about that but they could not stay on the same field with the ones that you have mentioned, JMO. GO TOMCATS!!! I will always support Ashland unless they are playing Raceland.

I bet that Belfry and Russell would disagree with you on that.

 

 

Actually Russell did pass in the play-offs last year. Their QB, Tommy Brown, had some pretty good passing stats.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.