Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

As a child

Featured Replies

What’s something your parents / grandparents allowed you to do that they would be arrested for now ?

 

Riding in the bed of a truck.

I remember myself and my teammates piling in the bed of someone’s truck and riding down to a local place for pizza after a win.

 

Driving.

As a child my dad would often let me set in his lap and steer around our neighborhood as he worked the gas and the brakes.

 

Hanging out around bars.

I remember sitting beside my dad on a barstool at a local place. I also remember throwing dice with my grandpa and his buddies at this same bar.

 

Let’s try to keep this one fun...

  • Author

I forgot one.

 

My dad would send me in a gas station in town to buy him tobacco. He'd give me enough money to get a candy bar and a pouch of Redman golden blend for him. The cashiers never thought twice about it.

Drink, my grandma gave me alcohol all the time as a kid, even in diaper days. Now not in big amounts but she would give me shots n stuff as a kid. Whiskey was the remedy for anything in her mind, but thats how she grew up too.

I worked on a farm in the summers and would go with them to the market over by lunken airport. Myself and another teenager would ride on a board on the very back of a packed flatbed truck with nothing to hold us in all the way from Boone county to lunken. The truck had wooden sides built up above the bed about 6 feet and we would load it to the top with produce. It had a shelf system where we slid in 2x12 boards so things didn't get squashed. We sat on the back about 8 feet above the road.

 

The return home wasn't so bad since the truck was mostly empty. Never ate more healthy in my life!

I would beg to ride in the back of the truck all the way home from Indiana when I was a kid. Mom would fold up a quilt or blanket as padding for me to sit on. We never thought anything about it.

 

Next door neighbor would send me to the store when I was about 10 or 11 to get his plug and twist tobacco for him.

 

Dad would let me drive from my grandpa's farm at Jabez all the way back up to Nancy when I was 12 or 13.

 

I'm pretty sure some child labor laws were broken working in our huge garden or in hay fields.

 

Dad would take me to work with him sometimes when I was young. I'd ride shotgun in concrete trucks or big Tonka style dump trucks with no seat or seatbelt, I'd just sit on a bucket.

I didn't know it was illegal to ride in bed of truck.

 

Anyway my parents let me take my shotgun to schools in back window to hunt after school.

 

I've also drove and bought Cigs for my dad.

 

Dad snuck me into strip bar at age 16.

My dad and all the uncles planned a houseboat trip at Laurel Lake. Dad put mattress in the back of his Ford Ranger that had a cap on it. We rode from Cold Spring all the way down to London in the back of that thing.

 

I went to bars with dad and uncles/ buddies.

 

I drove the truck up the road on the last leg on my dad's lap.

I didn't know it was illegal to ride in bed of truck.

 

After doing some research, riding in the bed of a truck is not illegal in Kentucky. It is just perceived that way.

Don't know about illegal.

 

Every other Saturday was parents day. Basically they would drop all of us kids off at the cinema for a double feature and they would all get together for cocktails. There would be anywhere from 12-14 of us. It took a little over 4 hours to watch two movies, cartoons, and previews, so our parents had a good long time. My earliest memories of this, I was around 6. Which means my brother and his friends were the oldest at 8. We had a blast, felt free, and they are great memories. No way I would ever consider doing that in today's world.

 

We always had a big car. First an Impala then a Crown Vic. They had the big ole ledge behind the back seat. I used to lay up there and sleep all the time when we were on trips.

My grandfather had a convertible for a while. We'd drive around Amish country and we were allowed to sit up on the back. Hell, he'd probably still do it today haha!

Summer after our 6th grade, me, two buddies of mine and their little brothers were dropped off at Big Bone Lick campground where we pitched a tent, for the weekend. We had a canoe, and a little fishing boat with a 9.5 evinrude pushing it, with us. We got there Friday afternoon about 4, and did not get picked up till Monday at noon time. Had a little camp stove and coolers for drinks, and all our camping gear. Great time

After doing some research, riding in the bed of a truck is not illegal in Kentucky. It is just perceived that way.

I was once riding with someone who got ticketed for it. We were told that if his truck had farm tags, it was legal. If not, illegal.

I remember my cousin doing this, he was around 10-11 years old and would walk into a little local service station and get a single can of beer for his dad and a mountain dew for himself. This happened all the time, would definitely not happen this day in age.

Summer after our 6th grade, me, two buddies of mine and their little brothers were dropped off at Big Bone Lick campground where we pitched a tent, for the weekend. We had a canoe, and a little fishing boat with a 9.5 evinrude pushing it, with us. We got there Friday afternoon about 4, and did not get picked up till Monday at noon time. Had a little camp stove and coolers for drinks, and all our camping gear. Great time

 

Those days are completely over.

 

And what a shame it is.

  • Author
After doing some research, riding in the bed of a truck is not illegal in Kentucky. It is just perceived that way.

 

Did not know that.

 

I just assumed it had something to do with seat belt laws.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.