Comments from SEC Media Days

Wireman

Here's the perception around the league of how great UK basketball is these days:

When asked about Kentucky's usual flagship status, LSU center Glen Davis said, "Past life, man.

"Things happen, man. You're a big dog. Then next thing you know, you're a puppy."

The wonderfully extroverted Davis, the life of any party including this basketball gathering, quickly amended his comment. Kentucky, he corrected himself, was a great team. "You definitely can't count them out," he said.

Then Davis seemingly counted out the Cats with a weather analogy that amused assembled reporters.

"Things change, man," he said of UK's fortunes, "like the weather."

Davis forecast scary metaphorical weather for Kentucky this season. "Ninety-percent (chance of) rain," he said, "and then thunderstorms, man."

Baton Rouge? "Sunshine," he said. "Nice 75 (degrees) and a cool breeze blowing."

And at Gainesville? "Hot," Davis said. "They've got five guys there coming back, so it's going to be hot. Real hot."

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/15850690.htm

It is not good that UK is the underdog. It is a slap in the face to say so. Lowered expectations.

Its not lowered expectations. Yeah other teams expect us not to be that good, but I know me for one has not lowered my expectations at all. I go into this year and every expecting to see a UK team that can do something pretty special, and I think that this team can. So teams overlooking us just benefits us even more if anything....

Its not lowered expectations. Yeah other teams expect us not to be that good, but I know me for one has not lowered my expectations at all. I go into this year and every expecting to see a UK team that can do something pretty special, and I think that this team can. So teams overlooking us just benefits us even more if anything....

Not referring to you specifically. The previous 2 posters said it was good to be the underdog. I think it is sad that UK is no longer feared by other SEC schools.

I think Davis' statements are pretty ludicrous.

Saying UK isn't the team that strikes fear in the rest of SEC is one thing. Saying UK is in for "thunderstorms" is a joke. Davis may have smoked crack before making his comment.

Is he implying UK is a poor team? What a joke! His precious Tigers beat the cats in a nail biter last season. Davis committed the Cardinal sin. Accept success gracefully and you gain respect in the eyes of the college basketball community. Shoot your mouth off, then expect to be the point of ridicule.

Saying UK isn't the team that strikes fear in the rest of SEC is one thing. Saying UK is in for "thunderstorms" is a joke. Davis may have smoked crack before making his comment.

Is he implying UK is a poor team? What a joke! His precious Tigers beat the cats in a nail biter last season. Davis committed the Cardinal sin. Accept success gracefully and you gain respect in the eyes of the college basketball community. Shoot your mouth off, then expect to be the point of ridicule.

:thumb:

I cant really get mad about his comments, because I am a fan of a team that has a player that would say something like that in Chad Johnson of the Bengals. Its kind of like how Chad said that the Bengals were the new color tv, and Steelers were old black and white. Except he used it by talking about the weather instead. But hopefully UK can get the same results as the Steelers got after these comments and that is a championship...:D

I cant really get mad about his comments, because I am a fan of a team that has a player that would say something like that in Chad Johnson of the Bengals. Its kind of like how Chad said that the Bengals were the new color tv, and Steelers were old black and white. Except he used it by talking about the weather instead. But hopefully UK can get the same results as the Steelers got after these comments and that is a championship...:D

I can respect a statement like yours, not like it today if it's not talking about your team. I believe UK will find their way home with some hardware this season. It may not be the "Big One" but we'll compete for sure.

He sure will be welcomed nicely when the Tigers come to the Bluegrass. :D