Highlands 53 Campbell County 52

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sacred Heart lost last nite as well in the Raatz Fence Tourney @ Mercy to Incarnate Word Academy of St Louis, Mo. Think record here shows I have been a pretty big fan of SHA this year but last nite was not their nite -- shots were not falling as they usually do. Doubt this loss affects their ranking though as IWA is a really nice team.

Male lost last nite as well to Riverdale, Tenn but no shame in this loss given Riverdale has at various times been ranked #1 Nationally. Heard Male was only down 1 heading into the 4th Qtr! Wow!

GRC also got a big win vs #8 Lincoln County! Could the Cards be on the comeback trail as well?

I think I smell March around the corner ...

The Highlands - Campbell County JV game matched two undefeated teams and was a pretty good game, as JV games go, Highlands squeaking out a close one on that one as well. Highlands only has one senior in the program, so I think it bodes well for the Birds looking ahead ....

Edited by Pete Mitchell

As far as Sacred Heart and Mercer county meeting in the title game-khsaa has nothing to do with that-its a draw to see where each region plays-so they could (possibly ) draw each other opening round -jus t saying

I agree ... While I'm not a big fan of the KHSAA, I also thought the comment about the KHSAA "screwing it up" was off base by someone that didn't understand that the state tournament is not, has never been and never will be seeded. Luck of the draw ...

I will give credit where credit is due and Highlands played a heck of a game last night. Highlands sat in a zone all night and executed their game plan well. However it was stated earlier in this thread that Campbell relies on turnovers to win and if a team has good ball handlers it makes it tough for Campbell to win then explain how Campbell beat male, montini Catholic, mount Notre Dame, and have Mercer county all they wanted the entire game when each one of those programs have D1 point guards and other d1 players as well. I don’t think anyone on here has said Campbell has the state title wrapped up or shirts printed anywhere. However I do think they have as much of shot to at a state run as any of the top ranked teams. I’m not sure why people are taking shots at the lady Camels all the time. Is it because they aren’t from the Louisville area and people thinks that makes them less superior. Last night was a different game. Clos sat most of first half in foul trouble, Schwarber sat most of second in foul trouble and then fouled out. Both played the same way defensively as they always do. if anything was less aggressive last night knowing how the calls were going to go. Neither Clos or Schwarber have really been in foul trouble all season until last night. Highlands won by 1 in overtime and Clos and Schwarber played half the game and Stapleton had an off shooting night with highlands shooting 31 free throws to Campbell shooting 7. I would say that is a huge difference as well. I do agree that someone else has got to step up on this team and start scoring. At the end of the day it is high school basketball and anything can happen and last night showed just that. Hats off to Highlands for playing a great basketball game and hopefully that win will boost them a good run through their postseason and good luck to them the remainder of their season. They are a very tough and scrappy team. As for the lady Camels they will be just fine and will learn from the loss and move on.

I agree ... While I'm not a big fan of the KHSAA, I also thought the comment about the KHSAA "screwing it up" was off base by someone that didn't understand that the state tournament is not, has never been and never will be seeded. Luck of the draw ...

That's why I hate it.

#10 Barth is a very nice player for Highlands. The Birds played well as a team and pulled off a big win.

Can I not give credit to HHS and still question the foul discrimination? Has there never been a homer job in the history of sports? Every time someone mentions officials calls they are whining and it is never the case that they were hosed?

Most of the foul calls were not called in the backcourt, so I'm not buying it was because of style of play. CCHS has disrupted much better teams than HHS (no offense) without fouling them into double bonus for the better part of half the game.

Again, hats off to the Birds and hopefully this momentum will get them over the hump in their region.

As for Mercer and Sacred Heart....blah, blah, blah. Someone other the those teams or the Camels may very well win it all. SH and CC will have their hands full getting out of their region.

#10 Barth is a very nice player for Highlands. The Birds played well as a team and pulled off a big win.

Can I not give credit to HHS and still question the foul discrimination? Has there never been a homer job in the history of sports? Every time someone mentions officials calls they are whining and it is never the case that they were hosed?

Most of the foul calls were not called in the backcourt, so I'm not buying it was because of style of play. CCHS has disrupted much better teams than HHS (no offense) without fouling them into double bonus for the better part of half the game.

Again, hats off to the Birds and hopefully this momentum will get them over the hump in their region.

As for Mercer and Sacred Heart....blah, blah, blah. Someone other the those teams or the Camels may very well win it all. SH and CC will have their hands full getting out of their region.

So basically your accusing the officials as cheaters under the guise of “ a homer job” and “they were hosed”?? The idea that the foul count needs to be even is ludicrous and might I add a tired narrative. You’re calling into question the integrity of people you do not know. Move along.

So basically your accusing the officials as cheaters under the guise of “ a homer job” and “they were hosed”?? The idea that the foul count needs to be even is ludicrous and might I add a tired narrative. You’re calling into question the integrity of people you do not know. Move along.

I am questioning their eyesight! And their ability to call a fair game! If their integrity is threatened that's on them. I asked if there has not ever been a homer job? Meaning there is a chance it could happen. There is also a chance they are just terrible officials. I can and will voice the opinion that I thought the game was called in favor of the Birds. It wasn't their fault.

Good luck to Highlands, and good game.

I am questioning their eyesight! And their ability to call a fair game! If their integrity is threatened that's on them. I asked if there has not ever been a homer job? Meaning there is a chance it could happen. There is also a chance they are just terrible officials. I can and will voice the opinion that I thought the game was called in favor of the Birds. It wasn't their fault.

Good luck to Highlands, and good game.

Just to be clear. Are you saying that the officiating was poor overall or that all three officials intentionally called the game in Highlands favor?

Campbell never adjusted during the game on offense or defense. Highlands made it a point to attack and get to the line. Campbell made it a point to launch 3s and not attack. Highlands game plan defensively was perfect. Campbell style is prone to foul a lot if the other team can handle it. The Birds did a real good job handling the pressure in second half. Were there calls that were suspect? Sure both ways but officiating didn't cost Campbell this loss, Campbell cost Campbell.

The story here is that Campbell County was the #1 team in the state and their neighbor and former district rival pulled off a big upset. I do not think it is a big deal to point out a bad call, or to question a lopsided amount of fouls.

However, point it out and move on.

Big win for Highlands, maybe the biggest during the Walz era? And, big season for Campbell County.