Is Saban the College Football GOAT?

Jumper_Dad

With the talent I saw last night late I would think he will coach at least 2 more years if not a little longer.[/quote

They are, according to Vegas, favorites for next years Championship as well. Followed by Clemson then Georgia/Ohio State.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GOAT hands down.

And I have already had one OSU friend say that he is a hack and will never be as good or as good to football as Woody Hayes or Urban Myer. I swear I cannot make that up. (and yes I laughed uncontrollably at that notion to his face).

I think his 6 championships are more impressive than the Bear’s because he has had to do it in the era of the BCS and the playoff system, which adds more legitimacy. Bear’s were all “mythical” titles chosen by pollsters.

Bear probably won a few with that format that was debatable and lost a few that were questionable as well. An example on the latter would be the 1966 title that went to Notre Dame which many analysts felt belonged to the Tide. But the point is they were more debatable back then than the current system.

The scholarship and parity game makes it more challenging in Saban's time as well.

He’s certainly the greatest coach of the modern era.

I’ll reserve conversations about guys like Walter Camp and John Heisman because it’s so hard to compare eras but they made remarkable innovations to the game that forever changed the way it was played.

Nick Saban is old school. He has built a program a lot like Cal has at UK, where the really good kids come to Bama because they know if all things go as plan, I'm automatically going to be drafted. His approach is business like and some kids aren't meant for Bama (i.e Matt Elam) His approach is also a dinosaur model....the new school is here (Dabo, Kirby Smart, Lincoln Riley etc.) and they will run off the old guy as they should. But the run that he has provided Bama fans is unprecedented. Hey I've enjoyed every minute of it.