Is Saban the College Football GOAT?

Jumper_Dad

This thread is about college football, but does Saban make an argument for greatest collegiate coach of all time, regardless of sport?

He should be included in the discussion, but Wooden winning 10 out of 12 titles is tough to beat.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve heard that it was easier for Bryant to win bc Of unlimited scholarships and writers voting. I have to argue against that. Yes the game is much different but at least since Saban started at LSU there has been the BCS now the four team playoff. How many of his teams even play in the BCS title game let alone make the playoff? His 5 title teams (like most title teams) have been fortunate to have the playoff in existence.

I’ve heard that it was easier for Bryant to win bc Of unlimited scholarships and writers voting. I have to argue against that. Yes the game is much different but at least since Saban started at LSU there has been the BCS now the four team playoff. How many of his teams even play in the BCS title game let alone make the playoff? His 5 title teams (like most title teams) have been fortunate to have the playoff in existence.

I think I heard they were ranked #1 at the end of the regular season 4 or 5 times in the last 9 years, so in the old poll system he'd have been playing for at least 4 or 5 titles if he won the Sugar Bowl against whomever they met up with.

I was born in 68. Remember football since about 77. He’s best I’ve seen in my time. I can’t tell about previous years. Can’t have an opinion on what I didn’t see.

Is Belechek best of all time? PB and Halas were way before my time. They had extended periods of greatness. Lombardi had a decade of dominance. It’s all about circumstance.