Best QB's Among the Twelve Teams Remaining?

How soon and quick people forget, and only see now in the moment. All the things people are saying about Mayer is the same things said about Drew Barker in high school. Makes good reads, changed plays at the line based off the defense if needed, good wheels, was able to make all the throws all over the field. He did all that with less talent around him than what Mayer is working with.

Obviously his college career hasn't gone to great. However no one would have expected that based off how good he looked in high school. Which is why it's kind of wrong to say UK can do better than someone like Barker when talking about Mayer. Because all the things you all are saying about Mayer is exactly what was said about Barker. Just goes to show as great as a qb looks in high school, you just never know how they would do in college especially D1. They no longer are automatically the best on the field. You have other qbs you're also competing against who dominated just like you in high school. Plus you are not automatically on the most talented team like Covcath is this year in 5a.

I honestly think Mayer will do great in college. However I thought Barker would too. With that said I do hope UK would try for Mayer. Which I agree he is the top qb left in the playoffs.

The only comparisons between Mayer and Barker is their size and overall athleticism. Mayer has a much higher football IQ and far superior integrity/leadership characteristics. The kid is a winner on and off the field.

Even is AJ never starts a game in college - which is highly unlikely barring injury - the competitive and leadership abilities he brings to the team would justify a scholly.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only comparisons between Mayer and Barker is their size and overall athleticism. Mayer has a much higher football IQ and far superior integrity/leadership characteristics. The kid is a winner on and off the field.

Even is AJ never starts a game in college - which is highly unlikely barring injury - the competitive and leadership abilities he brings to the team would justify a scholly.

Mayer has a much higher football iq based on what? Do you know what Barkers football IQ was in high school? He like Mayer also made great reads and even changed plays at the line to get them to better plays when needed. Also far superior leadership and integrity? Barker was a leader in high school in all those aspects too. His trouble didnt start until after high school. In high school no one would have thought Barker would get in the trouble he did, or not do much in his few oppotunities playing. Things changed in college though. Once again all those things you just said about Mayer is exactly what was said about Barker in High School. So its very easy to assume how things will be right now.

I don’t want to make this a Barker bashing, but I don’t think everyone thought as highly of him as some make it sound. His biggest area or recruitment came after competing in the Elite 11 passing camp.

AJ has a better high school fball body of work. He is more accurate than Barker was at in-game competition. AJ has taken his team further as well.

Standing in the pocket with no pass rush at Elite 11 shows nothing other than potential. Throwing the ball accuratley and efficiently with a full defense coming at you is a much better indicator.

AJ has missed most of 10 games this season as the running clock prevented him from putting up huge numbers. He still has put up really nice numbers with those odds against him. More schools should be at least speaking with him if they are looking for a Qb

What makes you say Scott Co could beat Covcath this year? I don’t see Scott County stopping the passing game since they refuse to do anything besides Cover 0.

Those people are wrong. Scott Co was the third best team in 6A this year, and I hate to admit it, but Trinity would have beaten us pretty badly. I think the Cardinals could've taken one against Cov Cath, though.

UK not at least speaking to AJ is why they will never have sustained success. Are u telling me he couldn’t do better than Barker down there? UK will always be a doormat when they let premiere talent in KY go somewhere else

It sounds like he's more a 2nd tier level QB.. I'm sure he's a great HS QB, but, why aren't other D1 major programs offering him.. Why should UK be the only D1 team that should go after this kid.. Sounds like if they did, that would be more a reason why they don't move up the food chain than if they don't go after him..

I really like Jaden Stinson of Mayfield.. He's only a sophomore and a 1st year starter, but, I think he has a chance to play at the next level.. He's already over 6'2 and 190ish, throws a great ball, strong arm, has good pocket presence, smart kid.. I think by the time he's a Sr, he'll likely be in the 6'3 to 6'4 range and in the 200-215 range.. I have no idea how he compares with the other 11 qbs playing at state, but, he's one to keep an eye on in the next couple of years..

I have no idea who the best high school QB is among the 12, or who has the most college potential, but I wouldn't trade Sizemore for any of them.

I feel the same way about Brayden Burch because he just flat out wins. He plays at a small school so when we play big schools he isn’t able to quite have the impact as if he was the one playing for the bigger school. When we play our district opponents all we need to do is run the ball and he might throw 4-5 passes in those games. The kid just comes out big in big games. He nearly was decapitated in the Championship game last year on the 3rd or 4th play and lead his team to a victory and hopefully barring any kind of injury he will get to do that again this year.

I don’t want to make this a Barker bashing, but I don’t think everyone thought as highly of him as some make it sound. His biggest area or recruitment came after competing in the Elite 11 passing camp.

AJ has a better high school fball body of work. He is more accurate than Barker was at in-game competition. AJ has taken his team further as well.

Standing in the pocket with no pass rush at Elite 11 shows nothing other than potential. Throwing the ball accuratley and efficiently with a full defense coming at you is a much better indicator.

AJ has missed most of 10 games this season as the running clock prevented him from putting up huge numbers. He still has put up really nice numbers with those odds against him. More schools should be at least speaking with him if they are looking for a Qb

South Carolina, UK, etc was after Barker during his Junior season before elite 11. The talent Mayer is throwing to is better. As for who took a team further it wasn't because of offense or qb play for why Conner didn't go further. They literally scored 58 points in one playoff game his Junior year and lost. Barker did a great job throwing guys open because he didn't have a bunch of fast over 6 feet receivers running routes. Besides Cameron Fogle I don't think anyone else he threw a ball to played in college, like Mayer has to throw the ball too.

At the end of the day scouts from big school's even before elite 11 was on Barker more than Mayer. Remember Barker actually committeed to UK before his senior year. It wasn't just an elite 11. People who evaluate football and seen him in 11 on 11 thought that.

I wasn't trying to make this about this topic. Someone brought up Barker and said Mayer would be better to get than someone like Barker. I'm just reminding people all these things people are saying about Mayer. They were saying about Barker. So that means very little in terms of college success. Which I honestly would love for Mayer to end up at UK because I do think he is the best qb in the state and will have a great college career.

I haven't seen them all play but I know Corbin's QB is really good. Danville's QB is a very good dual threat QB.

I heard they are both good. I'm looking forward to seeing the games this weekend. Sounds like most of the teams have very good qb play. Which is probably a big reason why they are playing for the state title.

He has been offered by many D1 schools. Don’t enter the conversation if you don’t know any facts. Sounds like you need to research some things first

It sounds like he's more a 2nd tier level QB.. I'm sure he's a great HS QB, but, why aren't other D1 major programs offering him.. Why should UK be the only D1 team that should go after this kid.. Sounds like if they did, that would be more a reason why they don't move up the food chain than if they don't go after him..

My point is this. If you don’t recruit the best talent in your state, and since we are talking about QBs, how can you expect to be going to another state and getting their best talent? Looking at what UK has had for the last couple of years, why wouldn’t you take a better look at arguably the best Qb in your own state?

I’m a UK fan through and thorough. Mayer will be great wherever he goes, but I would like to see UK keep more of the talent in state instead of other schools picking them off