Why is Kneeling disrespectful?

PP1

Do you kneel when you burp? You probably say excuse me. The polite, respectful thing to do in a given circumstance is determined by convention. Different situations require different actions. There is a protocol of etiquette for American citizens when the anthem is played. The military are required to do different things than civilians. To break with this prescribed protocol because you are ignorant, or lazy may be overlooked as sloppy. To INTENTIONALLY break with this protocol because you are protesting conditions in your country is rude, impolite, and disrespectful.

Good point. I never thought of it that way.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He refused to stand because he did not want to “show pride in a flag for a country.” That’s what he said. Why that country and flag do not deserve Kaepernick’s pride is not irrelevant, but it also can’t inoculate the fact that the action – the choice- to not stand was clearly meant to send a signal of disrespect for the symbol and the country it symbolizes.

This paragraph in particular seems to have forgotten to continue with what the country stands for in Kap's perception, and he is not alone.

"Only in America can we tell people they can't exercise their constitutional rights because they play football."

"I'm not standing for a flag and participating in a song that does not keep its promises to each of its citizens."

"I won't allow racism and cruelty to be hidden by the presence of shallow patriotism."

"I'll stand for these physical representations of freedom when they represent freedom for everyone."

All quotes from non-"millionaire divas," which somehow better qualifies them to have political views.

And in response to @oldgrappler, Kap has owned it. Of course he did it to draw attention to his cause. The problem is, all we can seem to figure is that he must have been disrespecting American troops.

There is no constitutional right to protest while you are working. That's a common misconception.

You have the right to free speech. Your speech is protected from the government, not your employer.

You absolutely have a constitutional right. Just because you’re working, you don’t lose any constitutional rights.

Of course your boss can limit your expression, but the government cannot. Ironically we lose track of the fact the head of the Executive branch of the government keeps stoking the flames by trying to get free speech to be limited.

You absolutely have a constitutional right. Just because you’re working, you don’t lose any constitutional rights.

Of course your boss can limit your expression, but the government cannot. Ironically we lose track of the fact the head of the Executive branch of the government keeps stoking the flames by trying to get free speech to be limited.

You didn't understand my post. Your free speech is protected from the government. Not from your employer. You can't say or do whatever you want at work without repercussion.

You didn't understand my post. Your free speech is protected from the government. Not from your employer. You can't say or do whatever you want at work without repercussion.

I understood it completely. A right is a right though. Nobody gave it to you and nobody can take it away. The person yelling the loudest about limiting it IS the government.

I understood it completely. A right is a right though. Nobody gave it to you and nobody can take it away. The person yelling the loudest about limiting it IS the government.

Still, they can be fired if the owners want to fire them. A number of people were fired after being spotted at the White Supremacist rally in Charlottesville. When you work for the private sector and your employer is not the government, the Constitution gives you zero protection. Private employees, including NFL players, can be disciplined or fired for speech, opinions and political affiliations expressed at work or outside work.