Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Problem at the Reds game Saturday

Featured Replies

So as I'm walking out of the stadium to show my son the statues, I notice some street preachers yelling into a microphone near Tony Perez's statue. They are holding a sign saying that "God hates liars, fornicators, homosexuals, divorce, idolators, drunkards.... etc" then at the bottom they listed the term "catholics." What they are doing is quoting two separate verses in the Bible, but the word "Catholic" is not included in any of them.

 

I support the right to speech and have often said that people in this country have the right to believe whatever they want; that it is that fundamental right that allows me to believe and practice what I want. But when people do stuff like this I think it makes the church look bad and makes what I stand for seem stupid and hateful.

 

Thankfully my son was with me or I would have engaged in a theological showdown of epic proportion.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So as I'm walking out of the stadium to show my son the statues, I notice some street preachers yelling into a microphone near Tony Perez's statue. They are holding a sign saying that "God hates liars, fornicators, homosexuals, divorce, idolators, drunkards.... etc" then at the bottom they listed the term "catholics." What they are doing is quoting two separate verses in the Bible, but the word "Catholic" is not included in any of them.

 

I support the right to speech and have often said that people in this country have the right to believe whatever they want; that it is that fundamental right that allows me to believe and practice what I want. But when people do stuff like this I think it makes the church look bad and makes what I stand for seem stupid and hateful.

 

Thankfully my son was with me or I would have engaged in a theological showdown of epic proportion.

 

There were some as well making their way through the super packed crowd at Octoberfest on Saturday afternoon with some seriously huge signs...I wonder if they were the same ones? I don't recall exactly what their signs said, but if I remember correctly, they perhaps were dark blue in color.

As a "Catholic", I would have prayerfully had to consider showing as much as restraint as you did.

I always sorta wonder if what motivates them to go into large crowds, and especially one that is heavily drinking, is true concern for peoples' souls, or a desperate need for attention that is mostly served back to them with either being completely ignored, or ridiculed and told to shut up and go away?

 

I suppose they're thinking that if they save one soul then their work is done, but Wow, I highly doubt that hardly any festive people out enjoying a beer and music with friends on a beautiful sunny afternoon are going to have an "Ah Ha" moment, and say to themselves "What was I thinking...Those guys are right, I'm a despicable deplorable sinner, and it's high time that I change my ways". :rolleyes:

  • Author

In their mind, I'm sure they think they are doing the right thing. It's America. It's their right. I just don't like it, and that's my right too.

There were some as well making their way through the super packed crowd at Octoberfest on Saturday afternoon with some seriously huge signs...I wonder if they were the same ones? I don't recall exactly what their signs said, but if I remember correctly, they perhaps were dark blue in color.

 

Street Preachers vs B-Ball Fan in a war of words and I'm taking B-Ball Fan all day and twice on Sunday. :banana:

Street Preachers vs B-Ball Fan in a war of words and I'm taking B-Ball Fan all day and twice on Sunday. :banana:

 

Ha Ha..thanks for your vote of confidence. :lol2:

 

While I do ponder how I might chat with them if I actually did, I typically think that it's just best that I don't go that rabbit hole with them.

 

If I were to, I honestly would approach it peacefully, but the second anyone starts shouting, or repeating Bible verses in my face with zero intent to have a rational conversation, then I'm out of there.

 

I have no concrete ultimate truth to offer them, and from where I sit, neither they to me, though they might be convinced that they do, however sharing perspectives can be enlightening if both parties agree to do it respectively.

 

I have seen them at Pride Festivals, and if I hadn't already been with friends, I might've considered sitting down and having a rational discussion with any one of them that was willing to.

 

At a Pride Fest their main reason for being there is the gay topic, so anyone who has heard me here know that I've got a mountain of points for them to ponder that just maybe they never have pondered before.

 

I realize that chances would be slim that either way we'd move the needle with each other very much, but I'd be open to hear what they've got to say, and hopefully they'd hear me out as well, and that all said and done we'd walk away having respect for one another.

I always sorta wonder if what motivates them to go into large crowds, and especially one that is heavily drinking, is true concern for peoples' souls, or a desperate need for attention that is mostly served back to them with either being completely ignored, or ridiculed and told to shut up and go away?

I suppose they're thinking that if they save one soul then their work is done, but Wow, I highly doubt that hardly any festive people out enjoying a beer and music with friends on a beautiful sunny afternoon are going to have an "Ah Ha" moment, and say to themselves "What was I thinking...Those guys are right, I'm a despicable deplorable sinner, and it's high time that I change my ways". :rolleyes:

 

Helps certain people who need affirmation of the false concept that "Christians are persecuted in America."

There were similar signs going in to the Bengals game Thursday night.

There were similar signs going in to the Bengals game Thursday night.

 

Bengals fans need to be saved

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From this season

I saw something about the Westboro Baptist Church coming to town to protest the ABC convention at the Duke Energy Center. Is this a spillover of that? I saw them at the game on Thursday and thought they were WBC.

I saw something about the Westboro Baptist Church coming to town to protest the ABC convention at the Duke Energy Center. Is this a spillover of that? I saw them at the game on Thursday and thought they were WBC.

 

I posted this video in the Ted Talk thread, but I thought that others reading this thread also might find it interesting.

 

It's a Ted Talk from a woman who grew up in the Westboro Baptist Church and finally left.

 

I saw something about the Westboro Baptist Church coming to town to protest the ABC convention at the Duke Energy Center. Is this a spillover of that? I saw them at the game on Thursday and thought they were WBC.

 

I feel like these jokers always show up at things like Taste of Cincinnati & Oktoberfest, Opening Day, and big Bengals games. I'm not sure they are WBC, but could be I guess.

Helps certain people who need affirmation of the false concept that "Christians are persecuted in America."

 

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard some say that Catholics aren't Christians. Sad.

  • Author

Westboro is more a "God hates Fags" thing. I did not see that particular sign. If I were convinced it was Westboro, then I would have engaged them. I've always wanted to run into to them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.