UK#1fanisback

Who do you think wins this game?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins this game?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CovCaths Oline doesn't have a lot of size this should help Beechwood. Beechwood Dline goes 6'3 272 Derry, 6'3 230 Baugh and 6'3 215 Baugh.

50Black 6'2 280

63 Hemmer 6'1 190

51 Halverstadt 6'0 195

53 Maile 6'0 200

59 Sora 6'1 205

78 Jones 6'3 255 gets some snaps

No programs at high school games is a personal gripe of this old guy. Will just say Corbin's line was huge and made BW look small. In fact Corbin's QB made BW's line look small.

Just watched the film against Kings. Jones spilts time at LT. Sizes are from their roster and they look small on film.

Glad somebody beat me to this. Jones is a full time starter, and might I add doesn't play like a Sophomore 4 games into his varsity career. And yes, as I pointed out this is the smallest line CCH has had that I can remember...but this is also was one of the most skilled offenses they have had, and that includes their 6 state championships.

No programs at high school games is a personal gripe of this old guy. Will just say Corbin's line was huge and made BW look small. In fact Corbin's QB made BW's line look small.

I thought Corbin's line was small. They actually have a guy who was a wide receiver at the beginning of the year. Corbin's QB was bigger than their lineman.

Edited by Bwtigerpaw
Adding

Don't know why anyone in the local area wouldn't be at this game (correct VOR) but if you can't make it to Ft. Mitchell Friday night, you can listen to the live CovCath Internet Radio Broadcast with Mark and Kevin.

National High School Broadcast Network

Because some have no affiliation with these schools, some have kids doing things, some have to work, etc... Not everyone thinks the day starts every morning with CCH sports.

This game is an unusual one. Usually I say that games are won in the trenches. I don't think that is true about this game. I think Beechwood actually is a little bigger and stronger up front. However, Covington Catholic's skill players are so big and so good it makes for a very difficult matchup for the Tigers.

A.J. Mayer gets rid of the ball quickly so there will be little time to apply pressure even if the Tigers win battles up front. Eviston likes to stretch the field from sideline to sideline. He will use jet sweeps and QB option plays to get his skill players around the edge. For the Tigers to hold down the Colonel offense they will need to contain the edge, tackle well against bigger players and get some outstanding play from their smaller defensive backs and linebackers. It is a big and difficult job to accomplish all that.

To help the defense out, the Tigers need to control the clock to limit CCH possessions. Beechwood needs to find their running game in this one. They might be able to do that as they match up well with CCH's smaller down linemen. I don't expect many big runs as the CCH LB's and DB's will limit that, but all it takes is one or two big ones to make a huge difference in the game. It will be a grind it out offense for Beechwood with runs and ball control focused passes. Burch's poise, leadership, decision making and accurate arm will be even more important than usual if Beechwood is going to win this one.

Beechwood has a better chance to win than many believe. They need to hold onto the ball - no turnovers. Make CCH grind it out - no big plays. Grind it out and control the clock when they have the ball. Do all those things and an upset that will rock the state could happen.

Nice analysis by Eye of the Tiger. I would add that BW must be successful in the passing game to be able to run the ball. Those delayed draws killed Corbin because the LBs were needed in pass coverage.

It won't be easy though because the big guy that does the kickoffs for CC will likely reach the endzone on a nice night. So BW will have to go 80 yards not 55 like last week.