AJ McCarron on the Move?

He was a game manager in college too. "Yeah but GrizzlyAdams McCarron is a winner" Tim Tebow was a winner. What is that dude doing now? Oh right, baseball. McCarron's ceiling in the NFL is a poor mans Alex Smith. Bengals have a bit better of a QB in Dalton.

You realize Andy Dalton is a poor mans Alex Smith right? Or at beat is Alex Smith. Alex Smith does well with less offensive talent around him. His teams will do well but Alex Smith is not going to win any team a super bowl. Which is what we have in Dalton but he has better talent around him than Smith but won't ever get over the top because he can't play in big games. Smith is not ever going to win anything and after 6 years no reason to think Dalton will because he sucks in big games.

As I said previously McCarron can't go to a team and make them a winner unless they have talent. Just like as we seen with Dalton when he doesn't have the talent he is not going to lead this team. However like Dalton McCarron can win with the talent around him here. Only difference is McCarron may could handle those big moments better than Dalton does. Which I don't know how people can argue it, but is a big reason why this team can't get over the to. 6 years and been same story Dalton struggles in prime time and playoff games. Not a good thing for a team who can't get over the top.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've lost your mind

How so? I didn't realize Dalton has shown the ability to play well to help the team in prime time or playoff games. I didn't realize Dalton wasnt one of the worst qbs statistically in the nfl against a rush of 5 or more. I didn't know Daltons mental makeup has shown he can handle those big moments and help make a play for his team in those big games.

1 and 4 o'clock Andy in the regular season is a good qb. Thats not the same qb though as primetime and playoff Andy. 6 years of data supports that. So yeah just like Alex Smith there is no reason to believe the team actually will win anything with him as qb. His flaw at not performing well in those types of games is kind of a big problem for a team looking to do better than just make the playoffs.

Maybe McCarron also would consistently fail or flat out be bad. I just think if he played with the same talent Dalton does, he would do as well in terms of getting the team to the playoffs. Then maybe his mental makeup would be better than Daltons to handle those big moments in the playoffs. In his one and only playoff game he did more to put the team in position to win than Dalton has in 4. Dalton hasn't even came close to helping, and I believe still only has 1 pass td in 4 playoff games.

Rocky Boiman was doing the reports today from Bengals training camp. He said that if Andy Dalton is injured there is no hope for the Bengals to make the playoffs.

Makes sense. But I would say the same could have been said last year about the Cowboys when Romo got hurt. Or the same with the Rams when Trent Green got hurt and their backup was some arena football qb named Kurt Warner. Also the same would have been said about the Patriots in 2001 if Drew Bledsoe gets hurt they have no chance. Or even Green Bay when a 3rd string qb named Favre took over. So its not surprising that would be said when talking about a starting qb getting hurt. Most would assume their doomed because McCarron is an unknown.

Now i have zero idea how McCarron would do, he could suck. I just find it also funny how some act like it is crazy to think McCarron maybe could get this team to take the next step. When in the nfl we have seen it happen, even though people at the time probably would have thought it was crazy to say those qbs would do well either.

Most popular player on an NFL team is the backup QB.

Hmmm lets see since I been on this site the Bengals have had a few backup qbs. I never once said hey let's see the backup play. Even while people talked about Palmer is washed up, a bum, etc. I definitely didn't want backup qb Johnson playing when he backed up Dalton, or whoever the other guy was.

I want the backup McCarron to play because I think with the talent the Bengals have. He also would do well. I believe that we have 6 years of data showing how Dalton struggles in the big moments in prime time and playoff games. I have seen Dalton with one career td in 4 playoff games, over throw a wide receiver in a playoff game that would have gave them the lead with 3 minutes to go. While I seen the backup McCarron actually make those throws in that moment to put them in position to win, and he did that without as much experience or chemistry with the first team offense.

I see a team who has the talent but in the NFL the window could close quick and the next thing you know youre the Jaguars. So yeah instead of wasting these years with a qb who sucks in those moments. I rather see a guy who mentally probably handles those moments much better.

Dalton is going to be the qb though, so I hope he proves me wrong.

I see McCarron as essentially the same quarterback as Dalton without Dalton's experience. Which means he is not enough of a difference-maker to push the Bengals to any higher level than what they can achieve with Dalton even at the best I would believe possible out of McCarron. Because of that I would rather roll with Dalton's experience this year, especially with what it looks like our offensive line will be. The hopes for this year's Bengals team are all about the offensive line.

I see McCarron as essentially the same quarterback as Dalton without Dalton's experience. Which means he is not enough of a difference-maker to push the Bengals to any higher level than what they can achieve with Dalton even at the best I would believe possible out of McCarron. Because of that I would rather roll with Dalton's experience this year, especially with what it looks like our offensive line will be. The hopes for this year's Bengals team are all about the offensive line.

Not only does Dalton obviously have more experience... but just watch the guys in practice... even just QB drills...

Dalton has a stronger and more accurate arm... and believe it or not, Dalton is more athletic. He runs better in straight line or in quick cut moves... it's not a night and day thing... but Dalton is a bit better.

Add that to the experience and his comfort level with AJ Green and other guys... give me Dalton.