AJ McCarron on the Move?

You realize those quotes of players saying that were before the 2015 season before he even played a snap and before Dalton got hurt. Players were quoted saying that before he played a single game. You dont see people talk about a backup qb having the it factor unless they truly believe it. Which you haven't heard people say that about Daltons leadership. They say the status quo of he is our qb. He knows the playbook so well, great teammate, works hard. How many times do you hear a coach have to say about his qb after 6 years ok it's Daltons time to step up and be the leader of this team once Whit left. A left tackle shouldnt have been the leader of this team. Dalton should have grabbed that leadership role on his own from Whit after his first or second season. I don't think McCarron would have had a problem making it his team if he got to truly be the guy.

There is a difference in players who have the mindset for the big moments. 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock Dalton is a top 10 NFL qb. However after 6 NFL seasons prime time Dalton against good and even bad teams and playoff Dalton hasn't looked like even a top 20 qb in those games.

At the end of the day yes the whole team needs to play well in those games. However sometimes you need your qb to make a play to help turn things around in those games. That doesn't happen with Dalton. In fact his play also seems to get worst in those moments and 6 years of nfl data shows that.

While McCarron has a very small sample size of 4 games. 2 of those 4 games came in situations Dalton struggles at. Prime time games and playoff games. McCarron had the Bengals leading most of the game on the road against the eventual super bowl champs in the Broncos. Then the playoff game he looked Dalton like for 3 quarters and didn't so much. However unlike Dalton he turned around and made what would have been game winning football plays in that 4th quarter until Hill decided to fumble it away.

I can't guarntee McCarron would do great. I'm just willing to take that chance. Because after 6 years our qb in Dalton doesn't look good in those moments we need him to if we ever want to take that next step.

So, what you're saying is AJ lost both of his prime time games but looked good doing it. At least for one quarter of one of the two games.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what you're saying is AJ lost both of his prime time games but looked good doing it. At least for one quarter of one of the two games.

I'm saying while still a lost he still did better than the majority of prime time/playoff games Dalton has despite Dalton having all the experience and always having all the reps with the first team offense for years. While McCarron had only two weeks of reps with the first team offense and no Tyler Eifert on the road and went to overtime. Then 4 weeks with first team offense before first playoff game in pouring rain. And yet he still made plays at the end that should have won the game. Which we have not seen from Dalton in 4 playoff games and many more prime time games.

So while it was a lost. It was still better showing than we grown use to with Dalton in those situations. So would assume with more reps and more experience he would be even better in those situations too.

If Driskell plays well the rest of the preseason they would be stupid to cut him. He would be claimed off of waivers within an hour. If they simply can't keep 3 then at least get a pick for him or something. No reason to not get anything in return.

While I admit Driskell looked good. He had only two passes that were impressive. The comeback throw to Erickson, and the TD throw to Malone. Everything else was short little check down throws less than 5 yards, including a simple screen pass that went 30 yards.

I sure hope he does continue to look good though because that's a great situation to be in then for the Bengals.

I'm saying while still a lost he still did better than the majority of prime time/playoff games Dalton has despite Dalton having all the experience and always having all the reps with the first team offense for years. While McCarron had only two weeks of reps with the first team offense and no Tyler Eifert on the road and went to overtime. Then 4 weeks with first team offense before first playoff game in pouring rain. And yet he still made plays at the end that should have won the game. Which we have not seen from Dalton in 4 playoff games and many more prime time games.

So while it was a lost. It was still better showing than we grown use to with Dalton in those situations. So would assume with more reps and more experience he would be even better in those situations too.

So we are ok with losing prime time games as long as AJ looked ok in one and had a good quarter in the other?

We have very different definitions of nowhere, so while you keep waiting for Tom Brady to walk through the door I'm busy worrying about giving Andy the weapons he needs to succeed at an even higher level than he already has. AJ McCarron would not provide anything for this team that Andy can't or already hasn't. All of the measurables point to Andy, all of the immeasurables are exactly that immeasurable. You seem to act like AJ is this great leader, and I'm sure he is I'm not doubting that, but it's not like the Bengals played inspired football the last 4 games of 2015. They played lackluster against a crappy 49ers team, subpar against the Super Bowl champs, lackluster against the Ravens, and even though they should have won they played like dog crap against the Steelers too. But yeah AJ just inspired the team the whole way in a way Andy can't because Andy isn't a leader. Give me a break.

I'm not waiting for Tom Brady to walk thru the door. We

have AJ McCarron. That's good enough for me right now.

Andy has had a plethora of talent around him over his years here and has yet to win a playoff game. Not only win one but at least have us in one with the opportunity to win at the end. AJ has already done that in the only playoff game he was in.

So I don't need Tom Brady, I'm happy with AJ and we already have him. So while you continue to be content with one of the all time worst playoff qb's in history who have played in at least 4 playoff games, I am

wantkng more.

So we are ok with losing prime time games as long as AJ looked ok in one and had a good quarter in the other?

Not saying it's ok. But the fact you're arguing speaks volumes. One qb in Dalton has lots of experience lots of reps and games but yet still always struggles in all his prime time games and playoff games. He has yet to make a play in those games to help out the team out if the rest of the team is struggling early. While McCarron in just 4 games has done more to give the team at least a chance to win in those games.

So considering one an has a track record of 6 years of not performing in those games. While one has only 4 games but actually done more to give the team a chance. Yeah not hard to see why people believe McCarron can handle the big moment better.

I will say this just like Dalton has to have a lot around him to look good and play well. McCarron is the same. If we trade McCarron to a team with not much around him, he would struggle. Just like we seen Dalton struggle when Green and or Eifert is out. However if you give both qbs talent around them like the Bengals have, both can be successful. The difference is some of us believe if giving the chance to be the guy. McCarron would do better with the better talent in the big moments than Dalton has shown in 6 years.

Not saying it's ok. But the fact you're arguing speaks volumes. One qb in Dalton has lots of experience lots of reps and games but yet still always struggles in all his prime time games and playoff games. He has yet to make a play in those games to help out the team out if the rest of the team is struggling early. While McCarron in just 4 games has done more to give the team at least a chance to win in those games.

So considering one an has a track record of 6 years of not performing in those games. While one has only 4 games but actually done more to give the team a chance. Yeah not hard to see why people believe McCarron can handle the big moment better.

I will say this just like Dalton has to have a lot around him to look good and play well. McCarron is the same. If we trade McCarron to a team with not much around him, he would struggle. Just like we seen Dalton struggle when Green and or Eifert is out. However if you give both qbs talent around them like the Bengals have, both can be successful. The difference is some of us believe if giving the chance to be the guy. McCarron would do better with the better talent in the big moments than Dalton has shown in 6 years.

Lots of truth in that. Take the end of last season for Ben. Still had AB, but the rest of that group was rather pedestrian and his numbers suffered because of that. AB got doubled, the other guys couldn't perform at a winning level. With a full deck, things aren't as difficult. Dak had a probowl tightend and WR as well as that line in front of him. Set up for success. It's no different than guys who are drafted at the top of the first round by a bottom dweller. Difficult to find success with a poor cast.

AJ has had the benefit of a good supporting cast when he's played. I'd like to see how he'd fare elsewhere with less talent.

Lots of truth in that. Take the end of last season for Ben. Still had AB, but the rest of that group was rather pedestrian and his numbers suffered because of that. AB got doubled, the other guys couldn't perform at a winning level. With a full deck, things aren't as difficult. Dak had a probowl tightend and WR as well as that line in front of him. Set up for success. It's no different than guys who are drafted at the top of the first round by a bottom dweller. Difficult to find success with a poor cast.

AJ has had the benefit of a good supporting cast when he's played. I'd like to see how he'd fare elsewhere with less talent.

Agreed. What will happen is AJ will be traded to a team with not much around him and won't look to good. Then people will say see he wasn't good.

McCarron is not Brady where it doesn't matter who he has around him, he will be good. Shoot mostly every qb as you pointed out needs some talent around them. Just like if we traded Dalton somewhere else I don't think he would look good either without having people like Green or Eifert to throw to.

I'm just at the point where I am willing to risk not knowing for sure on McCarron and seeing if he can get us to take the next step with the talent around him. We have seen with Dalton it hasn't happened. I think both would do good with this current roster. However the Bengals have to do better in bigger games and having a qb who can handle the bigger games better and possibly make winning plays to turn things around in a game that isn't going well could help. With Dalton when things aren't going well, it usually stays bad the whole game. Which is a killer in big games.

If they don't trade him now they're going to end up getting nothing for him when he walks after this season...

He might not get to walk. The Bengals believe they get him for one more season, because his rookie year he was on the non football injury IR all season. Which means it wouldn't count for a year of service. So instead of being an unrestricted free agent he would be a restricted free agent. Meaning they could put a 1st round tender on him. So if anytime signs him they would have to give up their 1st round pick.

Obviously McCarron is going to fight it, because he would want to be an unrestricted free agent. So it will go to arbitration most likely.

This... I don't get the love affair with him.

He was a game manager in college too. "Yeah but GrizzlyAdams McCarron is a winner" Tim Tebow was a winner. What is that dude doing now? Oh right, baseball. McCarron's ceiling in the NFL is a poor mans Alex Smith. Bengals have a bit better of a QB in Dalton.