I honestly don't know how to respond to this. How can people be so heartless.

All Tell

I suppose that the way kids react to something like this would vary throughout the country, but I just can't see a group of young men in eastern Kentucky video someone while they are drowning and laughing while they do it. Maybe I'm behind the times but that's simply not the culture of mountain kids.

This incident is about as heartless as it gets.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheriff, it just seems that so many young folks nowadays have such little respect for what others are going through. I guess I've read about so many of these kind of stories that I'm no longer surprised at how little empathy some people have for others. Some kids seems to care more about what they can post on social media than how they can help a fellow human being. I wish things like this still shocked me but it doesn't.

I get it. I'll hold out hope that these disturbing social media posts are extremely isolated. I must admit that I grow more and more concerned.

I also have worked with teenagers for over 30 years and I too think a vast majority would have called for help and probably tried to help the man.

That said I do believe that there has become a general lack of empathy in people in recent years.

I'm hoping right along with you, sir. Just seems we hear more and more of this kinda nauseating behavior.

I credit that to the amount of news outlets out there today. You hear about the negative because that's what sells. There's always been evil in the world, it's just easier to hear about now than ever before.

That said, social media absolutely does play a part. Kids are exposed to so much now that it's genuinely hard for them to process what they should care about. It's not an excuse, but I definitely see where the seeds have been planted.

I also have worked with teenagers for over 30 years and I too think a vast majority would have called for help and probably tried to help the man.

That said I do believe that there has become a general lack of empathy in people in recent years.

It sure seems that way. Some might say we are just nostalgic about "the good old days," and maybe we are, but I'm thinking technology and social media have contributed to this kind of lack of empathy. And maybe, these kids are just little sociopaths.

I bet those kids parents didn't take them to church either or keep them in church.

A society without God is an evil society.

Absolutely no evidence that an atheist is more evil that one who professes a belief in a God.

Hey Ref, a country like Iran are fervent believers in God. So, I'm sure you wouldn't call them evil, would you?

I take it you mean a society without Ref's God is evil ???

It sure seems that way. Some might say we are just nostalgic about "the good old days," and maybe we are, but I'm thinking technology and social media have contributed to this kind of lack of empathy. And maybe, these kids are just little sociopaths.

Desensitized is the word I think of.

I bet those kids parents didn't take them to church either or keep them in church.

A society without God is an evil society.

And yet statistics show more people and a higher percentage of the US population attend Christian Churches than did in the 18th and 19th century in this Country.