July 5, 20179 yr No clue what this is. June 19, 1865 is when the slaves in Texas found out that were free. Some celebrate this day of freedom from slavery. I believe that it is more of localized celebration. I am not sure if it is an official holiday in any state.
July 5, 20179 yr Maybe they were British. [ATTACH=CONFIG]62601[/ATTACH] It's only treason if you lose.
July 6, 20179 yr This is bigger than the issue of slavery. Native Americans have legitimate cause to question celebrating Independence Day as well. These are Jefferson's words in the Declaration of Independence: "...the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions." The Declaration of Independence marginalized American Indians, and laid the ground work for policy that included genocide, forced resettlement, and forced re-education. My grandfather was Cherokee. His grandparents and parents had walked the Trail of Tears. 5000-ish Cherokee died on those forced removals. Similarly, about 3500 Creek Indians died. And then there are the infamous battles west of the Mississippi. And then let's talk about the broken treaties.
July 6, 20179 yr Native americans took it from the animals, animals took it from the plants, plants took it from the micro organism.
July 6, 20179 yr Native americans took it from the animals, animals took it from the plants, plants took it from the micro organism. :ohbrother:
July 6, 20179 yr My only opinion on this topic is as long as you don't criticize me or protest me celebrating the 4th of July I don't care what you celebrate.
July 6, 20179 yr Our country is not perfect, we citizens are not perfect, but we have always kept trying to improve upon the foundation the framer's laid. Each Amendment to improve upon it, has only been added by a 3/4 vote from all the people. I, for one, think we are the greatest country in the world. The intelligence and far sightedness of the framers, when writing the Constitution, made sure to lay out a blueprint for this country that could not easily be changed by anyone. With all it's warts and blemishes, our country still stands strong. Many countries around the world look to our Constitution when laying out their new governments. We are all free to celebrate, or not, the 4 th of July as our Independence Day or Juneteenth if that is what serves you. Just remember the first Patriots, if not for the brave men and women who fought for that first Independence Day, you would not have the rights guaranteed to each of us to celebrate ANY holiday. Freedom is not free and there will be times when blood is spilled to protect it. I know my country is worth it.
July 7, 20179 yr I dont care what others celebrate. Let them be offended, ill enjoy the holiday every year.
July 7, 20179 yr It's only treason if you lose. Or if you want to fly the flag of the traitors and declare that it is part of your heritage.
July 7, 20179 yr My opinion is to live in Mexico for a year and then come back and tell me that we don't have an incredible blessing to be in this country. People need to see how the other parts of the world live...from all angles. I can't judge this beyond what I said up top. I can only say that some of the most vocal suffer from the worst nearsightedness.
July 7, 20179 yr I dont care what others celebrate. Let them be offended, ill enjoy the holiday every year. How are we not used to everyone being offended by something with this generation? If we took all of those people and moved them to another country for a month, they would beg to come back to America and appreciate it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.