Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ohio State coach search

Featured Replies

Be a lot more fun if he went to UK instead lol.

 

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy UK fan out there.

 

Those were my first thoughts exactly. :lol2:

 

Narcissism: Thy name is KY Basketball! :thumb:

  • Replies 91
  • Views 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the coach leaves is not any player or new recruit allowed out of their commitment?

Dan Dakich, Dan Dakich - Wikipedia, seems to think Gene Smith already had his next coach in his pocket when he made the announcement regarding Matta. I don't know about that.

 

He also said that the next Basketball coach need not worry about coaching at a football school with Urban Meyer as head coach. He said Meyer loves basketball and has always been a friend to the basketball program, even helps recruit.

How about Matt Painter? I know he has no ties to OSU, but I think that dude can coach and believe OSU to be quite a bit bigger job than Purdue. Don't know that he would leave for it being a Purdue guy and all, but I just never see his name mentioned and just wonder why that is.

How about Matt Painter? I know he has no ties to OSU, but I think that dude can coach and believe OSU to be quite a bit bigger job than Purdue. Don't know that he would leave for it being a Purdue guy and all, but I just never see his name mentioned and just wonder why that is.

 

OSU fans would revolt if they went after Painter. Talk about a major step down.

How about Matt Painter? I know he has no ties to OSU, but I think that dude can coach and believe OSU to be quite a bit bigger job than Purdue. Don't know that he would leave for it being a Purdue guy and all, but I just never see his name mentioned and just wonder why that is.

 

Because he has nearly been fired twice. He isn't regarded as a great coach. Really good guy, but his career at Purdue has just been okay.

Because he has nearly been fired twice. He isn't regarded as a great coach. Really good guy, but his career at Purdue has just been okay.

 

I don't know man...I think he's a pretty good coach and does well with the talent he gets. Now maybe he isn't a stellar recruiter, that's quite possible, but I think he's a good coach.

I don't know man...I think he's a pretty good coach and does well with the talent he gets. Now maybe he isn't a stellar recruiter, that's quite possible, but I think he's a good coach.

 

Why would they want a guy that isn't capable of getting the talent necessary to win big? Like it or not but recruiting is a major factor in coaching.

I don't know man...I think he's a pretty good coach and does well with the talent he gets. Now maybe he isn't a stellar recruiter, that's quite possible, but I think he's a good coach.
He is at Purdue, one of the really good college basketball programs in America. The talent he gets is his job, and it isn't like he is recruiting kids to play at Po Dunk U. He has won 10 tourney games in 12 years....and he was very nearly fired after the 2013-14 season. He is a fine man, but just an okay coach, and there is a reason you never hear about him being the "hot name".

This change is about 2.5 years overdue IMO. Matta's greatest class was the Thad 5 and frankly he hasn't done much since except for the run he had with Diebler and the subsequent loss to UK in the tourney. Good guy and becoming the all-time wins leader for the Buckeyes is great but there's been nothing done substantial for the last 3+ years.

 

I personally like Billy Donovan who would bring instant credibility back to the program or Greg Marshall at Wichita State. Columbus isn't ready for Cronin lol but I would love him there as well. Whoever it is I can promise that Smith has already been talking to him as there is no committee being established.

Why would they want a guy that isn't capable of getting the talent necessary to win big? Like it or not but recruiting is a major factor in coaching.

 

My point being was maybe that's why he isn't mentioned, maybe he's not a great recruiter. I don't follow Purdue basketball or the Big 10 much in general so don't know the in's and out's, I just always thought he was a pretty good coach from what, admittedly little I have seen them through the years and got a lot out of the kids he has.

Sean Miller remains VERY interested, in spite of Archie being at IU. I still think it is Shaka's to lose (too much makes sense for that hire), but Sean is in play.

I would imagine Ohio State got some sort of confirmation from at least one potential replacement that they'd indeed take the job if it came open before they went ahead and parted ways with Matta.

 

If Arizona or Texas opened up, gotta think Ayton or Bamba would reopen their recruitments, along with other signees.

Dan Dakich, Dan Dakich - Wikipedia, seems to think Gene Smith already had his next coach in his pocket when he made the announcement regarding Matta. I don't know about that.

 

He also said that the next Basketball coach need not worry about coaching at a football school with Urban Meyer as head coach. He said Meyer loves basketball and has always been a friend to the basketball program, even helps recruit.

 

Keep in mind Dakich and Urb are good friends from their time together at Bowling Green...

I would imagine Ohio State got some sort of confirmation from at least one potential replacement that they'd indeed take the job if it came open before they went ahead and parted ways with Matta.

 

Considering the timing, I would agree. Can't really remember a high profile college basketball coach being fired this late in the year before.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.