June 9, 20179 yr Plus he can recruit anyone to Xavier he could get at OSU. You would be incorrect there...
June 9, 20179 yr You would be incorrect there...First of all, I don't disagree with you in general about tOSU and Xavier. However, given the two coaches now in place, do you think Ohio State will have a single recruiting class ranked higher than Xavier in any of the upcoming 3 seasons? I don't.
June 9, 20179 yr First of all, I don't disagree with you in general about tOSU and Xavier. However, given the two coaches now in place, do you think Ohio State will have a single recruiting class ranked higher than Xavier in any of the upcoming 3 seasons? I don't. Depends on the talent level in Ohio and how well Holtman does landing it. X is most certainly in a fantastic spot right Now, and I love the staff's ability to recruit. That said, the reality is X has never landed a concensus 5 star prospect in school history and Ohio State has done it with regularity. The name alone allows Holtman a better position to be involved in those battles...
June 9, 20179 yr The name alone allows Holtman a better position to be involved in those battles... Matta > Holtmann until I see otherwise. Flip their baseball cards over, it "ain't" close. Time will tell, but I think tOSU got a solid hire, but hardly a home run.
June 9, 20179 yr Matta > Holtmann until I see otherwise. Flip their baseball cards over, it "ain't" close. Time will tell, but I think tOSU got a solid hire, but hardly a home run. No argument that Matta is the better coach at this point. That doesn't change the fact that having the Ohio State name behind you opens more doors in recruiting. Just how the system works...
June 9, 20179 yr Money isn't everything, and why does he want to deal with a football school mentality when he is "King of the Hill" where he is at. No brainer to stay where he is at. Plus he can recruit anyone to Xavier he could get at OSU. 1) I've already said that because OSU is a football school, that it's a valid reason to not go to OSU. 2) The notion that you can recruit similar talent at XU as you can OSU is completely ridiculous. It's foolish to believe otherwise.
June 9, 20179 yr Holtmann recruited Ohio for Butler. He will recruit Ohio for Ohio St. Wasn't he the BE coach of the year?
June 9, 20179 yr I'd imagine Kyle Young follows Holtmann to OH ST. That would be a nice start for the new coach. It's amazing he Out recruited Matta for him in the first place. That was Matta's downfall in recent years.
June 9, 20179 yr 1) I've already said that because OSU is a football school, that it's a valid reason to not go to OSU. 2) The notion that you can recruit similar talent at XU as you can OSU is completely ridiculous. It's foolish to believe otherwise. Define "similar."
June 9, 20179 yr Define "similar." Has Xavier ever signed a 5 star player? Which schools did DeAngelo Russell, Evan Turner, Mike Conley, etc play at?
June 12, 20179 yr Has Xavier ever signed a 5 star player? Which schools did DeAngelo Russell, Evan Turner, Mike Conley, etc play at? It's not who you sign, it's what you do with them. It seems to me Xavier is doing a lot more with their talent. The fact that OSU had some people turn them down tells it is not a hot spot to go to right now. How many "stars" a player has behind his name is so subjective it is meaningless. A ton of players in the NBA were not "5 Star' players in high school, and a lot of those who were are playing in Europe, if at all.
June 12, 20179 yr It's not who you sign, it's what you do with them. It seems to me Xavier is doing a lot more with their talent. The fact that OSU had some people turn them down tells it is not a hot spot to go to right now. How many "stars" a player has behind his name is so subjective it is meaningless. A ton of players in the NBA were not "5 Star' players in high school, and a lot of those who were are playing in Europe, if at all. This entire post is about coaching, not the ability of a school to get players in the door for a visit and eventually sign. Yes obviously Chris Mack has been doing more with his players at XU than Matta had been with his players at OSU in recent years. But Matta made 2 finals fours, 2 number one overall seeds with 5 star talent at OSU. Think what Mack could do with that talent? We're going to find out because XU is recruiting now on a level that OSU is accustomed too.
June 13, 20179 yr Chris Mack at Xavier will out recruit Chris Holtmann at Ohio State IMO. Chris Mack at Ohio State would out recruit Chris Mack at Xavier though. That's how I see the difference in the jobs.
June 13, 20179 yr Chris Mack at Xavier will out recruit Chris Holtmann at Ohio State IMO. I disagree...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.