[TR]

[TD]Pensacola[/TD]

[TD]63[/TD]

[TD]71[/TD]

[TD]78[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Average water temps...

I never considered water temperature. We were in Clearwater a couple of years ago at the end of March and the water was fine. Of course, that was a lot farther south.
I I was in St Pete at the end of sept water felt like bath water. Went to Gulf Shores 2 weeks later and water was pretty dang chilly. There's a huge difference between North Gulf and down as far as Tampa.

12 hours also gets your to the NE coast/Jacksonville area which you might like. Atlantic gives you better wave action.

As far as the panhandle goes you obviously have Destin which I'm not big on - way too crowded for ol' Clyde. 2 hours east is a quiet little beach called Mexico Beach. Really quiet. If you go west of Destin you get over towards Alabama and they have the same nice beaches. We stayed in Perdido Key which is right on the state line. Nice area. Cross the state line and you have some nice Bama beaches as well. About the same drive as you have to Destin. It's also close to Pensacola if you want a city to visit.

12 hours also gets your to the NE coast/Jacksonville area which you might like. Atlantic gives you better wave action.

As far as the panhandle goes you obviously have Destin which I'm not big on - way too crowded for ol' Clyde. 2 hours east is a quiet little beach called Mexico Beach. Really quiet. If you go west of Destin you get over towards Alabama and they have the same nice beaches. We stayed in Perdido Key which is right on the state line. Nice area. Cross the state line and you have some nice Bama beaches as well. About the same drive as you have to Destin. It's also close to Pensacola if you want a city to visit.

I don't care for huge crowds either, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm with Mountain Ref, never thought I would say that lol. But i'd be looking at the Naples area for that time of year. Naples itself is great, Marco island and Sanibel island are great as well. Marco is just south of Naples and Sanibel is just north off the coast of ft. Myers. You also have estero island, otherwise known as fort Myers Beach there as well. The Naples/Ft. Myers area has always been my favorite part of Florida.

Randy, if you want to come back to Clearwater, you can break the trip into 2 parts. When we come up there, I will usually leave here after work on Friday, around 5 or 5:30 pm. We'll drive until we get to Kennesaw. There is a Springfield Inn there, right off of I-75, that is reasonably priced. We usually end up back on the road by 7 or 8 the next morning. We do the reverse coming home.