Open Job: Louisville Central

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeSales= All Boys

Trinity= All Boys

St. X= All Boys

Have to think it will be the combo deal where the son goes to one school and the daughter goes to a school like Assumption or Presentation.

Are CAL and Country Day the only co-ed Private Schools in Louisville?

Collegiate is co-ed. So is Highlands Latin.

Collegiate is co-ed. So is Highlands Latin.

Neither are Catholic, which is specifically mentioned in the article. KCD and LCA are also xo-ed, but not Catholic.

Anyway...I'm sad that Coach Scroggins is resigning. I think he elevated not only Central Football, but the perception of Louisville Central overall, throughout the state. He's been an excellent ambassador and will be missed greatly, I'm sure. Given the success he's built there, I'm sure the program will be thoughtfully taken care of by the administration.

From the CJ article:

"The 45-year-old Scroggins said the time was right to get out of coaching with his twin kids – son Jayden and daughter Jordan – set to enter high school in the fall. Scroggins said both are multisport athletes who are considering attending a Catholic school in Jefferson County."

Sounds like they probably took the entrance test for those not in the Catholic system and are eligible to enter the Catholic HS's. Unless they go to Holy Cross the brother and sister will be at different schools.

I think in Louisville there is a greater switch between the systems between 8th and HS than in Lexington. In Louisville many Catholics what the kids to go through the grade school system to get the base 'Catholic' education. But many can not afford the $10K+ high school cost per student per year. So they will go from Catholic to Public. Conversely, the schools also act a prep-schools so many non-Catholics will go there for the pre-college rigor and prep for college. And since there are 7 Catholic HSs and 6 of them are single sex your classmates in HS will not be your classmates from grade school. Its all new and different anyway.

In Lexington I think more families that start in the Catholic system just stay in it. HS cost is less and bit more affordable and also since there is only one school your classmates from grade school are your class mates in HS.

Not sure if there is a pattern in NKY.

There is religion class each year and the school goes to mass once a week. But its not indoctrination. In religion class things like the details of other religions are taught. My kids know more about other religions through that than I ever will (being a public school grad). In that regard, they come out with more diverse appreciation of other religions.

I assume some from Louisville are old enough to remember that Holy Cross was formed from the southwest all-boy, all-girl schools of Bishop David (BD as we called it) and Angela Merici.

Yes, I am more than old enough. :lol2:. AM would have been where I went to school if I hadn't gone to HRA. And several boys who lived down the street from me went to BD. HC is on the site of the old BD.

From the CJ article:

"The 45-year-old Scroggins said the time was right to get out of coaching with his twin kids – son Jayden and daughter Jordan – set to enter high school in the fall. Scroggins said both are multisport athletes who are considering attending a Catholic school in Jefferson County."

Sounds like they probably took the entrance test for those not in the Catholic system and are eligible to enter the Catholic HS's. Unless they go to Holy Cross the brother and sister will be at different schools.

I think in Louisville there is a greater switch between the systems between 8th and HS than in Lexington. In Louisville many Catholics what the kids to go through the grade school system to get the base 'Catholic' education. But many can not afford the $10K+ high school cost per student per year. So they will go from Catholic to Public. Conversely, the schools also act a prep-schools so many non-Catholics will go there for the pre-college rigor and prep for college. And since there are 7 Catholic HSs and 6 of them are single sex your classmates in HS will not be your classmates from grade school. Its all new and different anyway.

In Lexington I think more families that start in the Catholic system just stay in it. HS cost is less and bit more affordable and also since there is only one school your classmates from grade school are your class mates in HS.

Not sure if there is a pattern in NKY.

There is religion class each year and the school goes to mass once a week. But its not indoctrination. In religion class things like the details of other religions are taught. My kids know more about other religions through that than I ever will (being a public school grad). In that regard, they come out with more diverse appreciation of other religions.

In Louisville, all students take the placement test. The test is not for religious purposes or to determine whether a student can be admitted. The test determined the placement of the student in an academic track.

If one wants to attend a Catholic high school, and one is able and willing to pay the tuition, regardless of their religious affiliation, the student will be admitted.

I think one think that is worth noting, that could point to an in house hire is that Scroggins says he will remain at Central as a teacher. Think about that for a moment. A new head coach with no affiliation to Central prior to being hired would have the arduous task of trying to build his program with a coaching Legend right down the hall, you know every move you make is going to be compared to how Scroggins did things and with him still in the school that will be very hard for SOME guys to handle. An internal hire doesn't have as much issue in that respect, because Scroggins is instantly seen as a resource first instead of a shadow.

^^^

Was just about to share... brings up several very valid points

If this were Ohio, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Texas, California, etc I am thinking Scroggins is still coaching and the financials and time constraints make more sense to him.

It's a slippery slope, but if Kentucky HS Football coaches are going to be judged and fired like college coaches, measures should be put in place that they are compensated more appropriately to make up for it.

If Scorggins had won 5 State Titles and 2 Runner-Ups in a number of other regions of this country things would be different.