Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands???

Featured Replies

  • Replies 135
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all, let me say that I'm five years out of the loop here, as my last child graduated in 2011. Secondly, this is going just as predicted here two years back, a rough patch in the road after a decade of dominance. I don't feel bad for any of the adults who are living through this because they knew what they were getting into. I do feel bad for the kids, upperclassmen especially. This has got to be some bad tasting medicine for something they didn't know they had. Do I think they'll return to the bull in the china shop program that they were through the 2000's? No, that kind of thing would be tough to duplicate. Do I think that Highlands will be the new homecoming school for Northern Kentucky? Schedule them for your homecoming and find out. Just don't expect to see too many happy faces at the dance.

Aren't the JV and Freshman teams still racking up big wins? If so, could it be that HHS is just experiencing what most of us out in the state who 'get what we get' year in and year out with two classes back to back that just don't have 3-5 stud playmakers?

 

...and that this bump in the road is a temporary thing?

 

Coach, every team plays what they get. That sounds like making excuses. You play what you get but you make what you get better.

I will put my opinions with limited information on display so perhaps someone who really has some insight will step up and say something.

 

I think CoachJ makes a very good point. I believe those Highlands champoinship teams always had a D1 player or two or three. Behind them were 2 or 3 others that everyone was surprised didn't get D1 scholarships because they were that good. Those stud players make a big difference. All those role players can work just as hard as the role players on the championship teams and the system can be doing the same things, but if those playmakers aren't there it shows up when you play the highest level of competition every Friday night.

 

Birds fans ... what about the running game? Has that changed over the past 10 years? Is it different in just the past 5 years? The last really top back I can recall was John Conner? Am I forgetting someone? Is there a lack of ability to run the ball? Because that can make a big difference on both sides of the ball. If your defense is struggling, it isn't good to run hurry up offense and create more possessions. You need to run more possession, reduce the number of offensive possessions in the game and protect your defense a little.

 

Any validity in those points Bird fans?

A lot Highlands fans predicted that these last two seasons wouldn't be the best. Some refused to believe it last year saying things like "Down year? We made it to the semi-finals!" Even though last years Highlands team probably would have been ranked 10th out of the last ten Highlands teams (not including this year).

 

Highland's unprecedented run was going to end at some point, it just was. It is unfair to the current players that they are expected to duplicate the ridiculous amount of success that has been had. But that is also what you sign up for when you play for Highlands. During the 2000s, how many undefeated or one loss freshman teams did Highlands have? It seems it was almost every year. The past few freshman teams have had multiple losses each year. Now this years freshman team, which many said Ryle and Highlands had the two best freshman teams by far, will likely end the year at 6-4 (assuming Ryle is as good as many have said). Highlands will be back, its going to happen at some point. But many proclaiming it is just a 2 year lull, might be speaking a little early. But time will tell.

Should Highlands have toned down the schedule two years ago if they knew the talent level was dropping? Highlands has played the toughest schedule in KY to this point in the season.

Should Highlands have toned down the schedule two years ago if they knew the talent level was dropping? Highlands has played the toughest schedule in KY to this point in the season.

 

A LOT of coaches do this...I don't think that kind of thinking can even creep into the mind of someone at a program like Highlands, Trinity, BG, etc.

Seems like HHS is scoring quite a bit of points, even against the better teams on the schedule, but they are just getting outscored. Is it safe to say that their problems are primarily on the defensive side of the ball? And if so, since Coach Weinrich has been the DC for years, what has changed there?

 

Is it time to put some of the better athletes on D, even if it robs the O a little?

 

I believe when Weinrich became the head coach, he took over the offense and handed over the keys to the defense.

Coach, every team plays what they get. That sounds like making excuses. You play what you get but you make what you get better.

 

Agreed. All of us have to do that whether at a county public school or a mega power city private.

 

I'm in no way giving anyone a 'pass' -- but if the jimmies and joes just aren't quite the same as you're accustomed to at a perennial power, having somewhat different results on the field shouldn't be seen as a death knell for the entire program.

 

It's still true that 'playing what you've got' you can eek out more from lesser talent with great coaching (as I've seen many years T and X had less talent than better 4A schools in Louisville but still dominated). So I guess what I'd be saying is based on the talent currently at HHS, are the coaches getting the most out of it on the field REGARDLESS of the wins and losses (b/c let's be honest, they do play a GREAT schedule)? My guess is that at HHS the kids are still getting coached up better than at 95% of Ky HS's.

 

When at a 'county school' where you're not getting kids from outside your school's resides area EVER, we always judged our success at the end of the year (EVERY year, regardless of talent) on whether or not we won every game where we had a talent advantage, won a game or two when we were not the most talented, and that we were IN every game in the 4th quarter regardless of how overmatched we were.

 

Sorry TA, but yes, I do believe the standard is different when you're at a school that attracts great talent beyond one or two feeder middle schools (so that goes for every JCPS public school as well as the perennially tough privates). ...and I'm implying nothing 'shady' being done at those schools who seem to always get kids from outside their traditional feeders -- most of that I feel is that success draws in the best. Part of what makes you successful or not at a school that attracts kids outside your normal feeders is how good are you doing at attracting those kids? Because look at the teams with perennial success in Ky HS football...there's basically one common thread: they have historically won with MORE than the kids who grew up in the elementary and middle schools that normally lead to those schools (that includes the one I played HS ball at, so I'm not talking out of school on this one).

To say Highlands has no talent is crap. How many kids are playing college ball from last year? Highlands 2 stud running backs and 2 stud receivers. I blame it all on coaching!

To say Highlands has no talent is crap. How many kids are playing college ball from last year? Highlands 2 stud running backs and 2 stud receivers. I blame it all on coaching!

 

Not sure if you're implying I am saying 'no talent.'

 

My point would be RELATIVELY LESS talent than in their more dominant years.

Don't fall all over yourself trying to criticize and not use facts. Probably 50% of the teams in KY do not use zone blocking.

 

You name me one team that does not double slip a 3 techniquestions to get to the LB! Even wing t teams double slip to the LB, and that is zone blocking.

Dale's team never did, period.

To say Highlands has no talent is crap. How many kids are playing college ball from last year? Highlands 2 stud running backs and 2 stud receivers. I blame it all on coaching!

 

Who and where are they playing?

I'm sure you don't want to hear anything contrary to what you want to believe. First of all every wing-t team in the state is man blocking. Straight I formation are man blocking. Option teams are man blocking. I could go on. Oh by the way, nothing wrong with zone. The 2 best teams in the state are zone teams.

P.S. are we supposed to pretend that he wasn't criticizing Wienrich?

 

Name them. And then tell me they don't double slip ever.....

Who and where are they playing?

 

QB Austin Hergott Central Michigan

DL Tyler Robinson Louisville

WR TJ Sipple Mount St. Joesph

OL Bo Heble Lindsey Wilson

K/P Jared Dougherty Lindsey Wilson

Luke Lindeman Georgetown

Nick Kendall Wittenberg

Mitchell Cain Wittenberg

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.