Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

David Sloan

Featured Replies

He left for Louisville before Gatewood left Taylor County.

 

He lived with Gatewood, right? I have to think he knew Gatewood was looking to leave.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are KHSAA members also. If he's ineligible at Ballard then he is ineligible at Trinity or St. X also.

 

I think his only option in KY would have been to go back to Taylor County.

Would he have been eligible at his Home school? Hard for me to believe that Ballard is his home school and they couldn't get him eligible with a move. Ballard coach was right. A lot of adults making decisions for this young man for their own personal gain and he is suffering the consequences. You can put blame on him if you want but he was a 14/15 year old kid being told where to go.

Could he have returned to Taylor County and been eligible?

But what talent is available @ Taylor County? And where would he lived if moved back to the county?

But what talent is available @ Taylor County? And where would he lived if moved back to the county?

 

I don't know anything about their talent but I'm just wondering if he would have been eligible that way.

But what talent is available @ Taylor County? And where would he lived if moved back to the county?

 

I'm guessing this was asked tongue in check dripping with sarcasm?

Really? Personally I think this is a new fad, I don't think it happened much at all back in the day...say 15-20 years and back. I have no facts whatsoever to base this on other than I think it's a generational thing related to (among other things) the propagation of summer ball/AAU/elite camps, etc.

 

Maybe, maybe not but things used to be done a whole lot cleaner and sneakier than now. Things seem more blatant now whereas in the past folks kept things like that close to the vest. Plus folks wouldn't be on BGP telling everyone about how so and so lives with coach. Kids transferring, leaving their hometown or playing for out of district schools didn't just start recently. That's been going on for quite some time.

Would he have been eligible at his Home school? Hard for me to believe that Ballard is his home school and they couldn't get him eligible with a move. Ballard coach was right. A lot of adults making decisions for this young man for their own personal gain and he is suffering the consequences. You can put blame on him if you want but he was a 14/15 year old kid being told where to go.

 

Could he have returned to Taylor County and been eligible?

 

Unless I am misinterpreting the rules or something has changed he is eligible to play at the last school he played basketball.

But what talent is available @ Taylor County? And where would he lived if moved back to the county?

 

Taylor County still has talent.

 

I have a guess. :D

Maybe, maybe not but things used to be done a whole lot cleaner and sneakier than now. Things seem more blatant now whereas in the past folks kept things like that close to the vest. Plus folks wouldn't be on BGP telling everyone about how so and so lives with coach. Kids transferring, leaving their hometown or playing for out of district schools didn't just start recently. That's been going on for quite some time.

 

Oh I'm sure it happened back in the day...I just don't think it was so readily done or near as "common" as what goes on in modern times. And again I think a lot of that stems from AAU, etc. I also believe modern family dynamics play a role in that as well.

He lived with Gatewood, right? I have to think he knew Gatewood was looking to leave.

 

I'm thinking he knew or should have known before anyone else. Either way, for me, he left before Gatewood did and I'll always be for kids to be ruled eligible in pretty much any situation.

 

In this one, we assume he knew Gatewood was leaving. Did he have the opportunity to go with Gatewood and choose not to go? Who knows? Either way, it seems weird that the kid going home to his parents is ruled ineligible. A kid can be ruled eligible going to live somewhere else with someone else having guardianship and be ruled eligible but when the kid returns home he is ineligible? That doesn't make sense so that makes me think there is a whole lot more to the story than what we know.

Just another thought... If he would have finished the year out @ Taylor County (I believe I read he left after basketball season) then transferred during the summer, would the results been different?

From what I heard he was back in Louisville before the state tournament ended. Think about that. They were eliminated on Friday and he was back in Louisville by Sunday. He left before Gatewood and I don't think he had any idea at the time the Richard was leaving. He wanted to go home so he went home. He didn't get ruled eligible so he found a place to play. It sucks for him he didn't get to play but it's not like kids and guardians don't know the risks of transferring. He left Louisville for Taylor County for multiple reasons. He tried to come back it didn't work and that's that. KHSAA transfer rules are flawed on both ends of the spectrum but that's just what we deal with. Wish him the best of luck. Always rooting for KY kids wherever they end up.

Coach Renner was not very complimentary (in C-J article) about those supposedly looking out for the young man's best interests. Before you say that his comments were self-serving or sour grapes, please know that Renner is a pretty good guy.

Sloan left before Gatewood decided to leave. Sloan's departure probably encouraged Gatewood to pursue other options. He was loading up on other transfers and young talent (a couple of higher rated 8th graders not from TC originally) to come to Taylor County. Moore would've been his home school (where his brother went and played a few years ago, and Sloan actually played for them as an 8th grader while Gatewood was there while he was at Moore's middle school). He wanted to come home for his last year, but wanted to go to a good bball school, so he chose Ballard. Sloan had never transferred previously in High School as it seems people are alluding to. He simply left with Gatewood immediately after middle school. TC is the only hs that he's been at. So he probably figured he'd have his pick moving back home when he's never been in high school there before. I would've assumed that he'd have been eligible. He could've picked his school coming out of middle school, and could've if he'd have come from out of state, so why not now? I'm with PP on this. It's unfortunate for the kid. Especially when you have a well known player in the same city play for one of the top teams in the state after Christmas, and then decide to transfer to another school in the same region (and city) and actually be ruled eligible to play by the KHSAA by the district tourney in the very same season? It's crazy.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.