Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

David Sloan

Featured Replies

Khsaa just lost out on some $ from me this yr. I was counting on going to some Ballard games to watch Sloan, Wilson, and Patterson. A kid wants to go back home and he's not allowed to play??? Wow, good move Khsaa. Hope he kills it down in Fla.

 

Ummm, there are rules that have to be followed, high school sports can't just be a "free for all" proposition. And if past rulings are any indication, then there must have been a lot of cards stacked against this kid as a LOT of transfers seem to get cleared by the KHSAA that seemingly shouldn't in a lot of peoples opinion.

 

With all that said I have no idea what this young man's history is and can't draw an opinion one way of the other on this specific case.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then Ballard lost some $. Too bad for them and not Khsaa I guess.

Of course I dont just want a free for all in terms of transfers but wasn't this kid originally from Louisville. Isn't he returning to where he came from? If thats the case then I would deff be cool with that transfer. Seems like Kentucky is usually very relaxed when it comes to transfers, just dont get why this one particular one was denied.

Then Ballard lost some $. Too bad for them and not Khsaa I guess.

Of course I dont just want a free for all in terms of transfers but wasn't this kid originally from Louisville. Isn't he returning to where he came from? If thats the case then I would deff be cool with that transfer. Seems like Kentucky is usually very relaxed when it comes to transfers, just dont get why this one particular one was denied.

 

His family stayed in Louisville and he went to live with his new coach. That's ALWAYS fishy to me. You can't then say you "moved" when you decide to return home because your coach took a new gig. KHSAA got this one right.

  • Author

He did move from Louisville, but when he left, Moore HS was the school he was/would have been at, I don't know, maybe if he had moved back there, it wouldn't be an issue. When you originally move to play at a different school, not because your family moved but to follow a coach, and then move back to Louisville and decide to play at a different (BETTER) program in the city on your return, I am sure KHSAA looked at it and saw nothing, but cherry picking programs to play at. Just a hunch or guess, I don't know anything of the situation, but it looks like an easy call for KHSAA from where I sit. Like I said before, all this for nothing, because he would have been seen and found wherever he played. Fortunately for him, he has a lot of offers in place and where he plays won't be as big a factor I don't think this year.

Note from personal experience: kids that have H.S. careers like the odyssey that David has been on, nearly always have issues with the Clearinghouse when they ultimately get to college. Not because of his own academic abilities, but because the record-keeping and credit transferring that needs to occur as he matriculates around the state / country.

 

Just something to keep an eye on moving forward. Once he commits to a school their Compliance Director will immediately begin working with folks from every school he has attended to ensure that they are buttoned-up well in advance of being submitted to the Clearinghouse for eligibility.

 

To be clear: I have no idea of his academic situation and however sound or not sound it is, has NOTHING to do with the above.

His family stayed in Louisville and he went to live with his new coach. That's ALWAYS fishy to me. You can't then say you "moved" when you decide to return home because your coach took a new gig. KHSAA got this one right.

 

If that's the situation, then I agree.

His family stayed in Louisville and he went to live with his new coach. That's ALWAYS fishy to me. You can't then say you "moved" when you decide to return home because your coach took a new gig. KHSAA got this one right.

 

He left for Louisville before Gatewood left Taylor County.

Question...not related to Sloan and his former coach but just curious. Has it always been a thing that kids live with coaches away from their parents for athletic purposes? I see it all the time now but has this always been a thing or is this new in recent years?

Question...not related to Sloan and his former coach but just curious. Has it always been a thing that kids live with coaches away from their parents for athletic purposes? I see it all the time now but has this always been a thing or is this new in recent years?

 

I think it has gone on for quite some time. Social media, networking and technology gets out more information than ever so we hear more about it nowadays.

I think it has gone on for quite some time. Social media, networking and technology gets out more information than ever so we hear more about it nowadays.

 

Interesting. Do those coaches get to claim the kids on taxes as dependents? I assume so

Question from an outaide observer....why didn't he just go to Trinity or St. X? Seems to me he'd be eligible there @ a private school and have a good education to go with it. I just have been wanting to see him play and feel like being @ home in Louisville would have been good for him....but maybe goin to Fla. is better

Interesting. Do those coaches get to claim the kids on taxes as dependents? I assume so

 

I'd say so as long as their parents don't claim them.

Question from an outaide observer....why didn't he just go to Trinity or St. X? Seems to me he'd be eligible there @ a private school and have a good education to go with it. I just have been wanting to see him play and feel like being @ home in Louisville would have been good for him....but maybe goin to Fla. is better

 

They are KHSAA members also. If he's ineligible at Ballard then he is ineligible at Trinity or St. X also.

 

I think his only option in KY would have been to go back to Taylor County.

Question...not related to Sloan and his former coach but just curious. Has it always been a thing that kids live with coaches away from their parents for athletic purposes? I see it all the time now but has this always been a thing or is this new in recent years?

 

I think it has gone on for quite some time. Social media, networking and technology gets out more information than ever so we hear more about it nowadays.

 

Really? Personally I think this is a new fad, I don't think it happened much at all back in the day...say 15-20 years and back. I have no facts whatsoever to base this on other than I think it's a generational thing related to (among other things) the propagation of summer ball/AAU/elite camps, etc.

If you move & your parents don't move with you, then you return home because you don't like the situation or for whatever reason, then I feel that is the risk that you take when you left in the first place.

 

There have been a couple instances already this year where a student-athlete has left to go to a prep school, for whatever reason they returned, & then wham-o, they are ruled ineligible & the family are up in arms about the ruling.

 

Its simple guys & gals, just play ball & you are gonna get noticed. When kids from Kentucky are being told if they go to Vegas & play for Findlay Prep & they will get seen by coaches like Pitino & Cal there MORE than they will get seen playing here, I just find that hard to believe. I saw Cal in my gymnasium several times while I was AD, & it wasn't just to watch his son play ball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.