Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Killed By Police

Featured Replies

I cannot relate. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

 

But I feel pretty darned confident that if you are pulled over, we'll be reading your thread about it in here the next day instead of your obit.

 

It's not a matter of odds that he'll be able to post about it the next day. Simple math tells us that's silly.

 

It's that blacks are shot and killed by police at a higher rate than whites.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here. It only takes one time.

 

My youngest just started driving and we had The Talk last week and it wasn't about sex. I also told him to ask the officers if he can call me if he is scared or worried.

 

I've had that talk more than once with both of my boys. Maybe the problem is more Dads need to have the same talk with their boys!

I've had that talk more than once with both of my boys. Maybe the problem is more Dads need to have the same talk with their boys!

 

I've seen and heard many of my white friends say they've never had that talk with their kids. I also wonder if your talk resembled mine. Especially with the emotion involved.

I've seen and heard many of my white friends say they've never had that talk with their kids. I also wonder if your talk resembled mine. Especially with the emotion involved.

I can't imagine having to give the talk that you did.

I can't imagine having to give the talk that you did.

 

It wasn't easy but it had to be done. It is important to me that he understands exactly how he needs to act in that situation.

I've seen and heard many of my white friends say they've never had that talk with their kids. I also wonder if your talk resembled mine. Especially with the emotion involved.

 

I had that talk with both of my sons when they started driving. Just common sense to do so to me, whatever race one might be.

My mom had that talk with me as a child. It worked, as I still remember her words.

I had that talk with both of my sons when they started driving. Just common sense to do so to me, whatever race one might be.

 

As did I. I think it should be standard for every new driver. Roll down the windows, turn off the radio, put both hands on top of the steering wheel, don't move until you make eye contact with the officer and then only move slowly at his/her request.

My mom had that talk with me as a child. It worked, as I still remember her words.

 

Same here.

As did I. I think it should be standard for every new driver. Roll down the windows, turn off the radio, put both hands on top of the steering wheel, don't move until you make eye contact with the officer and then only move slowly at his/her request.

 

All stuff you would assume is somewhat common sense but it's not for everyone. Women seem to be the worst about it, in my personal experience. I've seen several women open their car door and or try to exit the vehicle. I've also seen women stop in the middle off the expressway, we're talking center lane on the interstate. The majority say they didn't know what to do because they'd never been stopped before.

 

Perhaps traffic stops, much like understanding one's credit is something that really needs to be discussed in high school class rooms.

I've seen and heard many of my white friends say they've never had that talk with their kids. I also wonder if your talk resembled mine. Especially with the emotion involved.

My "talk" also started at a very early age about respect for authority, adults, women, other people's property, drugs etc. As they matured the level of engagement increased. Did my talk/talks resemble yours? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I grew up in an interesting part of town. By no means was I born with a silver spoon in my hand. I may not be black, but I stood side by side with a lot of kids who didn't have respect for the law and paid dearly for it. I was very close to being on the other side of the tracks. Knowing the difference I think helped me understand what I needed to say to my kids.

Point being, if more dads had these talks with their kids, I think there would be less issues on here for us to discuss.

As did I. I think it should be standard for every new driver. Roll down the windows, turn off the radio, put both hands on top of the steering wheel, don't move until you make eye contact with the officer and then only move slowly at his/her request.

If it's at night please turn on your dome light.

It's not a matter of odds that he'll be able to post about it the next day. Simple math tells us that's silly.

 

It's that blacks are shot and killed by police at a higher rate than whites.

And blacks are 23 more times more likely to be killed by other blacks. But it's the police we need to have a talk about.

 

Again, if you live in an area and have experienced racism or harassment by police first hand, I understand the resentment and fear. I don't understand painting with a broad brush

Right. But the media does pick and choose which ones to push. If you expect the majority of Americans to do their own research you're naive.

100% correct

And blacks are 23 more times more likely to be killed by other blacks. But it's the police we need to have a talk about.

 

Again, if you live in an area and have experienced racism or harassment by police first hand, I understand the resentment and fear. I don't understand painting with a broad brush

 

The thread and discussion centers on police/black, thus, my point.

 

I guess I don't subscribe to the "if it hasn't happened to you don't comment on it or worry about it" thinking. It would be naive to think there are not racist officers since racism knows no particular profession, correct? So, since this particular profession is so potentially dangerous (for both sides) then it deserves to be at the forefront of a black person's mind. Natural, actually.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.