Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Killed By Police

Featured Replies

The thread and discussion centers on police/black, thus, my point.

 

I guess I don't subscribe to the "if it hasn't happened to you don't comment on it or worry about it" thinking. It would be naive to think there are not racist officers since racism knows no particular profession, correct? So, since this particular profession is so potentially dangerous (for both sides) then it deserves to be at the forefront of a black person's mind. Natural, actually.

 

Do you think there are no racist black officers?

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had that talk with both of my sons when they started driving. Just common sense to do so to me, whatever race one might be.

 

My mom had that talk with me as a child. It worked, as I still remember her words.

 

As did I. I think it should be standard for every new driver. Roll down the windows, turn off the radio, put both hands on top of the steering wheel, don't move until you make eye contact with the officer and then only move slowly at his/her request.

 

Same here.

 

My "talk" also started at a very early age about respect for authority, adults, women, other people's property, drugs etc. As they matured the level of engagement increased. Did my talk/talks resemble yours? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I grew up in an interesting part of town. By no means was I born with a silver spoon in my hand. I may not be black, but I stood side by side with a lot of kids who didn't have respect for the law and paid dearly for it. I was very close to being on the other side of the tracks. Knowing the difference I think helped me understand what I needed to say to my kids.

Point being, if more dads had these talks with their kids, I think there would be less issues on here for us to discuss.

 

Guarantee my talk went a lot different and was more emotional than any of the talks you all had. It isn't the same no matter how hard you try to make it the same.

The thread and discussion centers on police/black, thus, my point.

 

I guess I don't subscribe to the "if it hasn't happened to you don't comment on it or worry about it" thinking. It would be naive to think there are not racist officers since racism knows no particular profession, correct? So, since this particular profession is so potentially dangerous (for both sides) then it deserves to be at the forefront of a black person's mind. Natural, actually.

 

And we are still in Kentucky.

The thread and discussion centers on police/black, thus, my point.

 

I guess I don't subscribe to the "if it hasn't happened to you don't comment on it or worry about it" thinking. It would be naive to think there are not racist officers since racism knows no particular profession, correct? So, since this particular profession is so potentially dangerous (for both sides) then it deserves to be at the forefront of a black person's mind. Natural, actually.

I'll buy that.
Do you think there are no racist black officers?

 

Of course. Blacks worry about them the most.

I have no data to back up my position, but I still contend that newer police officers have a bigger problem dealing with contempt than they do race.

 

In the recent police shootings, not a one of them was a case of a police officer walking up and shooting a black man for no reason other than race.

 

Each shooting begins with the deceased failing to do what the officer says and then a breakdown of handling the situation. Most people agree that Officer Betty could have handled the situation in Tulsa differently from the start.

 

I don't agree that contempt of cop brings with it an automatic death sentence. But I do believe that police related shootings would be drastically reduced if people would just follow simple directions and orders from police.

Of course. Blacks worry about them the most.

 

I was meaning racist towards anyone not black.

I was meaning racist towards anyone not black.

 

Of course. I'm sure there are plenty of them too. Law of percentages says it to be true.

Do you think there are no racist black officers?

 

Why do you ask such an obvious question?

Why do you ask such an obvious question?

 

Because your post comes across as there are only racist white officers.

I don't get some of this conversation at all. To think that a white man shouldn't/doesn't have to talk to their child or worry about actions taken when they are stopped by the police is completely, completely lost on me.

I don't get some of this conversation at all. To think that a white man shouldn't/doesn't have to talk to their child or worry about actions taken when they are stopped by the police is completely, completely lost on me.

 

Here's where I think it's different.

 

My parents had the talk with me. Be respectful to officers, comply with their commands. If you don't, you could end up in jail.

 

I imagine with young black kids, that conversation is more along the lines of "if you don't, you may end up dead."

Here's where I think it's different.

 

My parents had the talk with me. Be respectful to officers, comply with their commands. If you don't, you could end up in jail.

 

I imagine with young black kids, that conversation is more along the lines of "if you don't, you may end up dead."

 

Exactly.

 

I imagine with young black kids, that conversation is more along the lines of "if you don't, you may end up dead."

 

Exactly.

 

Is that because of the cops or because of the difference between how whites/blacks interact with police when stopped? Just a question, not an accusation.

Is that because of the cops or because of the difference between how whites/blacks interact with police when stopped? Just a question, not an accusation.

 

Mostly the cops, but both.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.