September 29, 201610 yr Here's where I think it's different. My parents had the talk with me. Be respectful to officers, comply with their commands. If you don't, you could end up in jail. I imagine with young black kids, that conversation is more along the lines of "if you don't, you may end up dead." My conversation with my child was she could end up dead. More white people are killed by police than black people. And I would guess most of the police shootings, white or black, starts with failure to comply. So my conversation with my daughter was to always comply with the officer's requests. If you think he/she was wrong, we can discuss it later or get an attorney. But if you start acting out, you could end up dead.
September 29, 201610 yr Here's where I think it's different. My parents had the talk with me. Be respectful to officers, comply with their commands. If you don't, you could end up in jail. I imagine with young black kids, that conversation is more along the lines of "if you don't, you may end up dead." That's how our conversation went. I also made sure to add that you won't be given the benefit of doubt and that you must always be conscious that you are a young black male driving a nice car. There may be times where you are pulled over and you know you did absolutely nothing wrong. I told him to be nicer to that officer than he has ever been to anyone in his life regardless of what the officer may say to him or if he feels he is being treated unfairly. Do what he says, ask him if you can call me, don't run, don't fight, don't be a smart aleck, comply with everything he says and we'll fight it out in court depending on the situation. If you are seen as a threat they will kill you, son, and it will be your fault. Don't be a threat. Do as you are told and stay alive. Hopefully it will be someone we know who pulls you over. Be smart and stay alive.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.