Simon Kenton 77 Highlands 53

Randy Parker

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a ton of credit should be given to the HHS offensive coaching staff for last night. They came in with a great game plan and the team executed near flawlessly in the first half. They Mixed the short pass with the run to keep the blitzes off the QB and went over top when the DBs started to get aggressive. Both teams will learn from this and get better. As for the defense, the good news for HHS is they aren't the only team SK could have scored 70 on just the first one they had to. I am sure the HHS game film will become the blueprint for other teams offenses against SK so the coaching staff and players will need to figure some things out if they want to make a deep playoff run. And for the record I thought the much maligned offensive line for HHS played very good last night.

Some observations from last night:

1. Why not attempt the field goal at end of first half knowing that SK was getting the ball in the second half?

2. Why are the kickoffs not attempted to put deep? If your kick coverage team is suspect then put 10 guys on it that will hit someone. Allowing teams to start on the 40 or better is a major issue.

3. I noticed that when # 7 came in game for SK that more often than not the ball was being passed "downfield" whereas Racke was more likely to throw about 10 to 12 yards. Has that been the case all year? Why did Highlands not adjust?

4. The defense has been a major trainwreck since BW turned over the reigns. There needs to be a change in philosophy, personnel and coaching. Quit trying to fit square pegs in round holes and put your BEST 11 over there even if it means playing guys on both sides of the ball.

5. Funny that some asked me a few weeks ago what offensive guys could help the D, and the first name that I mentioned was Grant Murray. Could certainly help at linebacker in spots.

6. Michael Dunn was very good at Center last night.

7. Did Trent Johnson play last night?

8. What number was the Williams kid from SK?

Maybe. But does that mean the birds put up 80 on them? (Joke). Next week may be a better gauge of the rest of the season, Torres sounds like the majority of their offense. Dixie doesn't sound like they are as multi dimensional as SK or Scott Count or Cooper but I haven't seen them play yet

I have seen Dixie play once this year. They have no passing game to mention. Birds should handle Dixie in my opinion..

Maybe. But does that mean the birds put up 80 on them? (Joke). Next week may be a better gauge of the rest of the season, Torres sounds like the majority of their offense. Dixie doesn't sound like they are as multi dimensional as SK or Scott Count or Cooper but I haven't seen them play yet

Birds do not play next week.

1. Why not attempt the field goal at end of first half knowing that SK was getting the ball in the second half?

2. Why are the kickoffs not attempted to put deep? If your kick coverage team is suspect then put 10 guys on it that will hit someone. Allowing teams to start on the 40 or better is a major issue.

3. I noticed that when # 7 came in game for SK that more often than not the ball was being passed "downfield" whereas Racke was more likely to throw about 10 to 12 yards. Has that been the case all year? Why did Highlands not adjust?

4. The defense has been a major trainwreck since BW turned over the reigns. There needs to be a change in philosophy, personnel and coaching. Quit trying to fit square pegs in round holes and put your BEST 11 over there even if it means playing guys on both sides of the ball.

5. Funny that some asked me a few weeks ago what offensive guys could help the D, and the first name that I mentioned was Grant Murray. Could certainly help at linebacker in spots.

Colton Williams didn't play last night.

Williams didn't play.