Two offenses for one team?

Sure, why not. If Player A is a passing or running QB and Player B is opposite of Player A, it would seem to make sense if success for your football team matters.

While it's great to have a system everybody plays from youth league on up, it's still not wise to put round pegs into square holes. Bill Curry can tell you about this, if he's willing.

What are you actually asking about ASB?

Are you asking if the same offensive players could run two different offenses during the game?

Or are you asking if a team could have two separate 11 man offensive squads who would rotate during the game?

Several years back Crittenden County, when they had some really good skill players ran both the spread/passing offense and the wing-t. Made them very very difficult to prepare for.

They would run both offenses with the same personnel. If I recall they were very competitive with Mayfield in a couple of regional title games in this system and then beat them a year or two later in the regional finals using the multiple offensive systems.

A. On one hand people do it all the time. There are many schools who jump into a wildcat, a goaline offense, or just simply what Tony Franklin calls a change up offense. Most of these instances the change is cosmetic with formation and personnel still doing things that are familiar.

B. On the other hand not many people can pull off 2 different schemes in one game or one season. A lot of this has to do with offensive lines. There are option schemes, zone schemes, gap schemes. An OL only has so much practice time. Same for qbs. There are option qbs, passing qbs, ballhandling misdirection qbs. A team only has so much practice time.

C. By definition if a team can practice something and execute it on the field that is their offense. Not 2 offenses.

What are you actually asking about ASB?

Are you asking if the same offensive players could run two different offenses during the game?

Or are you asking if a team could have two separate 11 man offensive squads who would rotate during the game?

Bold. I've never heard or seen one team that ran two different offenses in a game/season. Probably would be kinda awesome to do it

As long as they use a consistent set of terminology and don't overload their players with too many plays to execute, then it can certainly work.

For example, a team could run the same Outside Zone play from I-formation, under center as well as from a spread shotgun formation with a Zone Read concept. This would present two very distinctly-different formations for the defense with the same blocking for the offensive line.

I hate that some things in football are branded as impossible. If we want to be perceived as educated football observers then we have to take this topic on a case by case basis. There is no blanket answer. It could absolutely work at a school one year, and then the next it would be totally out of the question, based on personnel losses alone. I agree that it would be very, very hard to run an entirely new offense on the field, meaning a new 11, however, we arent far from that now when teams run goal line personnel packages in. Two QB's most certainly does not equal 0 qb's. Handled correctly it equals a headache prep week for a DC.

Collins' championship team ran a spread offense, but usually at least one drive a game they would line up in a Power I Formation and run it straight at the defense. In fact, they did it in the finals vs. Highlands near the end of the first half and they were able to chew up a lot of clock and kick a field goal to take the lead just before the half. They had quite a bit of success ocassionally running two totally different styles and tempos, but it's easier to do that when you have the talent they did.