Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Defense a problem at Mayfield this year?

Featured Replies

67 points the last two weeks and who knows how many in the scrimmage.

 

So I ask again, is Defense a problem at Mayfield this year?

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No , last week in the 2nd half we were just complacent.

This week we played a high potent offensive team and then got tired, the game lasted over 3 hours.

I doubt that Mayfield faces a more potent offense in 2A this season than what Mayfield faced last night.

I can see where people haven't seen us play would question that. But the honest answer is NO. Played a very potent offense last night with athletes everywhere. We were jus very gassed. Hot and humid last night. We will be fine.

If Graves, Corbin, or Caldwell lights up the scoreboard then I think you can question them... I just dont see any other 2A team that wouldn't struggle with McCracken's stable of talent.

MF is rock solid at linebacker. D line and dbs are inexperienced by virtue of age or playing new positions. The talent and ability are there, just need more snaps under the tutelage of some of the best defensive coaches in the state. No worries. By playoffs, teams will struggle mightily to find points when facing MF.

No , last week in the 2nd half we were just complacent.

This week we played a high potent offensive team and then got tired, the game lasted over 3 hours.

I doubt that Mayfield faces a more potent offense in 2A this season than what Mayfield faced last night.

Giving up a lot of points to quality, bigger opponents is one thing, and understandable. If complacency and fatigue is your justification for it, however, then that should be an area of concern, IMO. You wouldn't call those things problems?

 

It is OK to say, "we are not perfect, we have some problems to work on."

I would have answered this question differently last week, I thought our effort on defense left a little to be desired last week against PT.

 

This week is different. I know it was a lot of points, but our defense was solid in that game. That type of effort over the next 11 weeks will result in a lot of shutouts and a state championship.

 

Every team has a maturation and jelling together process (hopefully :)) and I think we have just kinda gone through ours.

Nothing like starting a thread to get the Mayfield fans rilled up....

Giving up a lot of points to quality, bigger opponents is one thing, and understandable. If complacency and fatigue is your justification for it, however, then that should be an area of concern, IMO. You wouldn't call those things problems?

 

It is OK to say, "we are not perfect, we have some problems to work on."

 

Ok, we're not perfect, we do have some areas to work on. But having said that, it's not like we just played a team that struggled scoring. McCraken had posted 41, 55, and 72 points in their previous 3 games, most all of those points in the first half of each game. Noting that their 3 opponents were not juggernauts, that's still a lot of points. I think they might have been the top scoring team in the state and pretty much their starters had played 6 quarters. McCraken had 14 points at halftime, but ZERO before Trajon left the game, would they have scored those with him in the game? Maybe, probably, but still, it did change what Mayfield could do, ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL, as he is also our best cover guy on D. So, yes, we have some things to work on, one of those I won't mention, ( don't want to give you guys a scouting report) and that problem is a personel problem that just can't be fixed. This is not the best defense we have ever had, very, very tuff in a couple areas, and average in a couple. I think we will be OK when it gets to the games that really matter, 2A competition. We CAN be scored on, but can you OUTSCORE us? We shall see. So for you guys that are concerned about our D, we're not perfect, there, happy?

We CAN be scored on, but can you OUTSCORE us?
In the end, that is really all the matters, right? :thumb:

 

So for you guys that are concerned about our D, we're not perfect, there, happy?
You guys are the most thin skinned bunch I've ever seen :lol2:

 

It's just something to discuss, 57. I have no doubts Coach Morris will have all the ducks in a row come November. As certain as the sun rising in the East.

You guys are the most thin skinned bunch I've ever seen :lol2:

 

By FAR. :lol2:

In the end, that is really all the matters, right? :thumb:

 

You guys are the most thin skinned bunch I've ever seen :lol2:

 

It's just something to discuss, 57. I have no doubts Coach Morris will have all the ducks in a row come November. As certain as the sun rising in the East.

 

Well, believe it or not, my parting comment was not made in a ( thin skin state of mind.) I had NO PROBLEM making the comments I did about our D. I was not trying to be defensive, I was trying to be honest.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.