S-E-C?

Jim Schue

Is it really that great a conference, or is it a circular argument?

And before you conference apologists go apopleptic, remember Kentucky is in that conference just like Alabama is. And LSU and Ole Miss, who is gagging hugely. And UT, who should kiss the blarneystone.

Overall, it's not anything like it was. I believe the other power conferences have caught up in a big way, especially the ACC and B1G. Alabama still remains as good as it has under Saban, but most other teams in the conference have fallen from what they once were.

Which conference would you say is better, if the SEC isn't the best?

I'm not saying they are or aren't just asking?

You're playing into the circular argument. Everybody says it's great, and those who challenge supremacy get shot down. Again, is it that great, or is it just because everybody says so?

You're playing into the circular argument. Everybody says it's great, and those who challenge supremacy get shot down. Again, is it that great, or is it just because everybody says so?

Neither, great is very subjective.

Is being the best of the rest, great?

Can more than one conference be great at one time?

Do all of your teams have to go undefeated against outside competition?

You define Great, then we can discuss who's great and who's not.

FWIW, it is silly to discuss this one week into the season with any certainty.

Who is saying it's so great? It looks to me like they have one great team this year.

One week into the season and we have very broad brushes out in full force.

These conference chest-beating conversations are so old to me, I just don't get it. I don't root for any SEC team, but I prefer to watch it the most, does that make me an SEC-homer? I think Alabama is the best program in College Football and it isn't close...sorry Ohio State fans...so does that make me an SEC homer? I don't care how strong / weak the bottom of any league is, for every UK and Vandy you have a Wake Forest, an Illinois, an Oregon State, and an Iowa State. Who cares?

While I am not a fan of any SEC team, I'm a fan of their league because of the consistent excellence at the top, the passion of their fan-bases ("...well, they have no other lives.." *eyeroll*), and their traditions.

Who friggin cares? It's college football! Having conferences does make for good fan fodder, that's why we're in this thread.

I do find it interesting those who aren't SEC conference fans continue to compare their favorite conference to the SEC or constantly talk/trash the SEC as if it is the bell cow.

One week into the season and we have very broad brushes out in full force.

These conference chest-beating conversations are so old to me, I just don't get it. I don't root for any SEC team, but I prefer to watch it the most, does that make me an SEC-homer? I think Alabama is the best program in College Football and it isn't close...sorry Ohio State fans...so does that make me an SEC homer? I don't care how strong / weak the bottom of any league is, for every UK and Vandy you have a Wake Forest, an Illinois, an Oregon State, and an Iowa State. Who cares?

While I am not a fan of any SEC team, I'm a fan of their league because of the consistent excellence at the top, the passion of their fan-bases ("...well, they have no other lives.." *eyeroll*), and their traditions.

That sums up my feelings, too. "Anti-SEC guy" has become equally intolerable as "SEC Guy".

Who friggin cares? It's college football! Having conferences does make for good fan fodder, that's why we're in this thread.

I do find it interesting those who aren't SEC conference fans continue to compare their favorite conference to the SEC or constantly talk/trash the SEC as if it is the bell cow.

Yep, I guess until it is generally acceptable you don't have to compare your conference to the SEC, SEC is still the king.